main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Direct to video Star Wars films?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Forbidden Island, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    what do you think?

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Sure! Give me Ewoks 3 in this format! :D

3. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I could see them at some point in the future doing a direct-to-stream series of some kind via Netflix or something.

Skywalkin' and Forbidden Island like this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Not for me, thanks. SW films should all be a big enough deal to warrant wide theatrical releases, IMO.

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Aw, but... but... Ewoks!

Ewok Poet, Forbidden Island and EHT like this.
  6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Give us the remaining Clone Wars arcs in this format please Disney!

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Star Wars is event cinema. Ideally, anyway...

8. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Please, God, no.

But I'm okay if it's another Clone Wars movie, though. One that would closeout the remaining stories pertaining to the Nightsisters, Asajj Ventress and Darth Maul. A bookend movie, sort of speak, that would compliment the first theatrical CW film.

9. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
  10. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    Honestly, I'm totally okay with it. Because it would leave the major episodes as theatrical events and prevent oversaturation.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    People who don't acknowledge Cindel are not real fans.
    [​IMG]
    This IS Star Wars.

Dewback, Ewok Poet, EHT and 1 other person like this.
  12. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Direct to video, hardly.

Direct to Netflix, now that's another matter.

13. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Pfffft, direct to VHS or nothing!

(I could tolerate Betamax and VCD as well)

Sarge and The Hellhammer like this.
  14. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Aww, I just unhooked my VCR, too!

I'm torn on this. More Star Wars content is always welcome, but I want at least one film a year in theaters. I think other visual content should come in the form of tv shows or miniserieses.

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Why no love for Laserdiscs?!

16. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I've never even seen a Laserdisc in my life. I don't think they ever made it here.

17. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

A true hero, who remained as stable as she could after witnessing her whole family being slaughtered. True Star Wars, indeed. ^:)^

Bail B. Baobab and Sarge like this.
  18. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    I know, right? TFA will probably earn them around 1,5-2billion so they could spare some funds and release FINISHED episodes on Blu-Ray, iTunes etc.. yeah, it will be on pirate bay few hours later but still, people would buy it and they will even earn some money out of this! So it is a win win for both sides...

I am so sick of seeing those unfinished animations:mad:

I get it, they want to distinct themselves from prequels, but c'mon.. it is also a very important part of entire Saga and there are fans of this period...

darskpine10 and Skellybobs like this.
  19. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I think the 'films' are going to remain things we will go to the cinema and see for the first time. I still think Disney is missing out on a golden opportunity by not releasing the "Star Wars Holiday Special" in some format other than bootlegged copies. Other than the standalone films and sequel trilogy, I don't see them doing a TV series or direct-to-video production other than what's out there right now. Star Wars movies are best experienced on the big screen!

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  20. Subiaco

Subiaco Jedi Padawan

Feb 16, 2013
    The moment they release a Star Wars film direct-to-video/stream/whatever, will be the time Disney no longer respects the story/franchise as far as I'm concerned.... Hope this never happens.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  21. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Why is that? It's not far off from made-for-TV movies, and Lucasfilm released two of those back in the 80's.

TheYodaPagoda and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    As long as the quality is there, I will have zero problems with how we receive "extras" in this series. So long as we still get movies in the theaters, I'll get in line. Any other additions such as Rebels and other animated series are perfect candidates for the 'direct-to-video' treatment.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  23. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I am more worried about oversaturation than I am worried about the exact method of delivery.

The thing is if the movie is a direct to Netflix jig it means it probably is a low quality movie as there just isn't as much money to be made that way. As long as the movies are making money that won't happen. A direct to Netflix TV show on the other hand is no different than having an HBO show so it most likely will still be quality.

Forbidden Island likes this.
  24. Tolvo

Tolvo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    I'd say it's pretty likely that "Crystal Crisis on Utapau" and the "Bad Batch" episodes are going to be included on a future home video release of TCW, so when that time comes I hope they're gonna let Filoni produce a few more proper episodes.

25. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Let's pray Disney put some money on the table and let them finish all episodes..