main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Direct to video Star Wars films?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Forbidden Island, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Subiaco

Subiaco Jedi Padawan

Feb 16, 2013
    IMO a direct-to-video film is more often than not just a quick cash-grab, with a studio spending a minimum amount on budget and production time to get the highest possible margins...
    I'd rather have them spend time and money, get the right talent and have the heart in the right place... if they do that, they can release all the films they want an I'll watch them all:)

Note, I do not place the animated series in this category, they are beautifully made and I love what they're doing there.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't support the idea of direct to "home video" releases. Like just mentioned (even though that post was added almost 2 months ago :p ), those are nothing more than a blatant cash grab, mostly for parents to buy quick cheap movies for kids who like tinkerbell and forest animals and whatnot...

The day I buy a Star Wars movie like that from some discount movie bin at WalMart for $4.99, I would worry about what the world (and the entertainment industry) has come to...

3. Skywalkin'

Skywalkin' Jedi Master

May 23, 2013
    I think with the advent of Netflix as well as the lowering costs of production, direct releases could be done really well. Throwing more money at something doesn't imply higher quality. I'd be happiest if they add in some more modest, low-action stories to counterbalance the big blockbuster type films we're guaranteed to get anyway.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That's definitely true that "throwing more money at something doesn't imply higher quality"... there are way too many examples of that out there already, such as the Transformers movies. However, telling the kinds of stories that SW movies have always told requires a lot of effects (both practical and CGI), a lot of settings, a lot of actors, etc. They are simply not cheap stories to bring to life on the screen. Even animated SW (TCW and Rebels) is pretty expensive to produce.

Having said that, I'm not necessarily against "more modest, low-action stories", but they'd still have to feel like SW. It's a balancing act.

TheOneX_Eleazar and Sarge like this.
  5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Direct to...Netflix?

There is and will be plenty of side projects. Rebels, video games, Disneyland parades and dance spectaculars on ice, viral Youtubes.