main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Direction

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by archiedog, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. archiedog

archiedog Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2011
    Could Lucas have done a better job in directing the prequels, or did he get exactly what he wanted from the films?

2. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    I think more than any other films he's ever made, he got what he wanted. I think it would be a stretch to say he was 100% happy with them... because which filmmaker is ever truly 100% happy with what they produce? The question "could he have done a better job" is a completely subjective issue.

3. Gundark31

Gundark31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2010
    The direction on the prequels seemed pretty lazy to me, all those videos of Lucas just sitting in a chair drinking coffee and the soap opera blocking that Red Letter Media talks about in his reviews seem to back this up.

Lucas believes that a movie is made in the editing room and while this is true if you don't have good stuff to work with even the greatest editor in the world can't make something brilliant.Seemed like Lucas was rushing through the shooting because he wanted to get straight into the editing room, he didn't seem to put much effort into the actual shooting of the actors on the sets.

He admitted himself that he is bad with actors so he really should have brought on another director to work with the actors similar to what he did with ESB and ROTJ but I guess after bad experiences doing that he took it all upon himself and made a bit of a mess of things.

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I read "The Making Of The Phantom Menace" a long time ago, & a lot of the talk from GL & Rick McCallum was bragging about getting through about 36 setups a day (ludicrous unless you're working in TV) - any problems they'd just slap some bluescreen up & quickly do a retake, or just move on. "We can fix it later" seemed to be the motto.

Unfortunately, such philosophy seemed to extend to everything, including performances, which was later hinted at by the actors. All the CGI technology in the world can't fix boredom from Ewan McGregor, or confusion from Terence Stamp.

5. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Its certainly true that Lucas dislikes shooting, at least compared to the other parts of the moviemaking process. He finds it a bit of a chore. I don't think he had particularly happy experiences shooting American Graffiti and the original Star Wars (not sure about THX). In his heart he's an editor. He likely views the shooting as a somewhat neccessary evil.

6. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Precisely. To quote Randall from Clerks, "this would be a great job, if it wasn't for the @#$%ing customers."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.