main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Director's commentary

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Syntax, Jun 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    When I write fanfic, I go for a "cinematic" style -- I actually envision in my head where I'd want the "camera" to focus, how it would pan, what perspectives, cutaways, stuff like that. It makes it fun to write, in my mind, because I play it all out like a movie before I even type a single word.

For some of my fanfics (two thus far), I do "director's commentary". it's a separate text file to "accompany" the fanfic, and it works like a "director's commentary" on a DVD. I talk about why I wrote things certain ways, I mention scenes I cut out, and why, and I explain "easter eggs" (characters based off of my friends, references to other EU/fanfic stuff, etc). It's cool, and helps my readers "get into" the fanfic.

Does anyone else do this? ;)

2. thegreatyoda

thegreatyoda Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    I don't do directors commentary, but I do invision my stories as movies, with camera angles and the like.

3. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Oh, hey, this is a sorta-plug, but it's on-topic. I just finished writing 'Acceptable Losses' (link is in my user profile), and there's a "director commentary" for it. Anyone who wants to read that fic, and is interested in the commentary, PM me.

4. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Last month I started "DVD-izing" my stories, as I call it, putting the commentaries, Easter eggs, deleted scenes, character origins, squadron name origins, etc. in a separate file. I never expected my characters to become as important to me as they have, and I realized one day that I wanted to make sure I kept all the weird little background stuff documented to look back on in twenty years. :)

So far that file of mine is still in its infancy, but I think it's fun to do.

-Katie
    Thumper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.