main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Directors of main films don't respect the prequels, TCW, and Lucas fantasy outlook.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Vidianefficiency, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidianefficiency

Vidianefficiency Jedi Master star 1

Feb 20, 2015
    New directors like JJ and Edwards have already shown their intended ambivalence to the prequels and TCW in the trailers for the new films in development, I mean rogue 1 looks like it's going to be a Vietnam war movie for gods sake (first impressions).

Personally I believe that lucas's way forward was more fantasy aspects whereas these new directors seem obsessed with making their star wars movies more "real world"

The only reason the OT had that real world feel to it was due to the constraints with Effects.

I would have loved to seen lucas continue with his vision. If I want to see a western or Vietnam movie I can go watch some actual classics, it's not what I want in a SW's movie.

Rant over

2. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014
    Lucas was clear when speaking of the making of the OT he wanted his world to look "lived in" so I don't think it was effects constraints. Nothing made them "age" the Luke's landspeeder, for example.

3. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    He sold Star Wars ... any complaints about anything that happens to Star Wars after that sale are null and void since he made the choice to sell. You can complain all you want that someone 'ignore' your 'artistic value' of your house when they repaint it but in the end you chose to ignore your own 'artistic value' when you made the sale.

4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Actually, the original trilogy felt that way due to a combination of technological constraints and Lucas intending it to be that way. His intent is expressed, in his own words, in the book The Making of Star Wars that he wanted to shoot the original film with a soft focus to almost give it the appearance of a documentary, like you were there observing the action yourself, and that the universe needed to feel used and lived in. The Saga films (The Force Awakens and subsequent episodes) will likely have the same used combination future/sci-fi western/space fantasy look and feel as the OT, which you must understand is what most people fell in love with in the first place, and what those same people generally want from Star Wars. At it's very core, that's what Star Wars is.There will of course be fantastical elements; these are films with space magic, after all.

The Anthology films (Rogue One and whatever it is Josh Trank is working on) will all look and feel different than any previous or future Saga films. Rogue One, like you said, is intended to be more of a realistic, dramatic war film, and that's a good thing. Star Wars is a concept so vast that it would be wasted if all sorts of opportunities and genres weren't experimented with. However, since the Anthology films have the potential to experiment with a variety of genres, tones and tones, we may very well get a very fantasy oriented film, depending on the aesthetic style of the director chosen and whether or not the story warrants it. Of course, for fans that prefer that sort of thing there's always Rebels, which is a perfect marriage of the PT/TCW and the OT.

5. TheForceMakesCoffee

TheForceMakesCoffee Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 25, 2015
    Rogue one seems to draw from some of the clonetrooper arcs in TCW. Those had some of the most brutal war scenes in SW.

Also, don't kid yourself, the Sequels will have some fantastical elements, just not to the extent of the PT. Just because a director has a different vision, does not mean he is disrespecting Lucas.

sizziano and Seeher like this.
  6. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I think the word "fantastical" is being misused here. Fantastical is not the equivalent of CGI-fest. One can have a very fantastical story (such as the Lord of the Rings) that looks and feels "real" and "lived in." And in order to achieve a suspension of disbelief (or verisimilitude) a fantastical story is well-served by a realistic setting. If the story is outlandish, and the visuals are outlandish, and everything is outlandish, it's hard for an audience to accept the story. In that context, the OT had a perfect balance of the "faerie" world and the real world. The PT was, on the other hand, a cornucopia of digital phantasmagoria with little to relate to, in either the settings or the characters. And for many, that's why it failed.

Artoo-Dion , Seeher and Dra--- like this.
  7. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Does being a Star Wars director mean you have to pretend bad movies are good?

8. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014

Also, IN B4 THE LOCK, since this thread has a doomsday clock on it.

9. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Good luck with this thread. Gusher basher debates are the best.

Dra--- likes this.
  10. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Why can't directors have their own vision?

This is an example of how SW fans can never be happy. First we hear Disney won't let their directors have their unique vision on SW, and then when we find out they are allowing them to have their vision, we say that vision should be George Lucas's vision in the PT.

If you want to watch the PT, put a DVD in.

I also disagree these filmmakers are disrespecting the PT or TCW simply because they have their own vision.

George Lucas is a man. A great man. But I wish people would stop defending his every breath. That's called being a sycophant, and GL is fine on his own.

11. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Riddle me this: Why did Lucas, in his many revisions of the OT, never alter the "used universe" aesthetic? Because he intended it.

Lando Swarm, Seeher and Dra--- like this.
  12. Vidianefficiency

Feb 20, 2015
    Look I understand that OT fans will appreciate the way the new trailers look. But for me and my prequel generation we only love the OT because of the prequels and not the other way round.

For my generation SW is more coruscant Jedi temple and mortis and less tattoine spaghetti western cantina.

I can understand that a director has a choice of where he wants to go, but completely disregarding in my opinion the fantastical elements is wrong. I have one hope and that stems from the Kylo ren snow scene in the first trailer. That scene felt more fantastical then western.

I hope there's a balance as right now it seems that the scales are tipped onto the OT aesthetic.

13. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Star Wars is multiple genres, and maybe with no limitation on that. Why should every film be exactly as one fan segment wants?

And let's not talk as though Lucas only made the PT. He had something to do with the OT as well, I think.

14. Vidianefficiency

Feb 20, 2015
    I think I have been misunderstood, I want balance in the force.

Both the OT and PT aesthetics, we can have cantinas and gungan type under water cities.

Right now from the trailers it looks like it's heavily OT aesthetic weighted.

Just an opinion on the trailers the movies could be really different.

15. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    There was a cantina scene in the PT as well. So why keep repeating that?

The ST follows the OT, so it makes sense it shares more of that look. And other PT fans here say it looks like the PT -- so I guess whatever bias someone has will lead them in that direction.

As for your assumption there's no fantasy aspect in the trailers, it's not grounded in fact. We have Luke talking about the Force and how it runs in his family. We have some weird voice (Uber/Serkis) talking about an awakening of the darkside and the light. The image of a huge crashed Super Star Destroyer isn't something we see in Westerns, the last I checked.

In addition, if you're paying attention to the rumors, we have some sort of mystical goings on with a lightsaber, and a group that sounds a darkside cult.

Maybe you should stop thinking in tired cliches like OT this and PT that and just see Star Wars?

Lando Swarm likes this.
  16. Vidianefficiency

Feb 20, 2015
    So having an opinion is a tired cliché? And I use cantina as an analogy of the vibe in the OT, I sense agression in your tone is there a need for that?

Just to clarify my point rogue one looks like a Vietnam movie so far, if they wanted a jungle feel why not go for something creative like felucia where ayala secura died in order 66. Again this is so far. Rogue One could be the most fantastical movie yet. Just a first impression.

We also know that categorisation into OT/PT is a way to ease discussion I'm using a phone, to type it's easier to use acronyms.

On the rumours I'm spoiler free hence my (first impressions) line in my previous post. All I can go on is what I've seen in trailers so far.

And I think your being a little disingenuous if you don't feel that the trailers so far seen including rogue one are real world weighted as opposed to fantastical.

17. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    One thing TCW did (and did well, IMHO) was explore various genres in the context of SW. Heist, war, fantasy, prison, surrealist, etc... A lot of genres were covered. And that was under Lucas' own guidance. The new movies are carrying on that tradition.

Dra--- likes this.
  18. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    This is the best thread on this forum.

[​IMG]

19. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I think your thread comes off as yet another aggressive attack on films no one has seen yet, which is always a strawman argument. And really, with a world with the Force and lightsabers, how can someone possible not notice the fantasy elements?

Making a fantasy look real is good film making, so again I think you're stuck thinking in cliches. As though making a crashed Star Destroyer look real is somehow not making the fantasy stronger, but destroying the fantasy?

Realism is what makes fantasy believable. Why anyone would be against a believable fantasy is beyond me.

plaidphoenix likes this.
  20. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    First off, there are already threads for discussing the Sequel Trilogy directors which can be found HERE and HERE. Secondly, we have an abundance of threads discussing various potential connections and influences between OT, PT and ST and also dealing with the overall tone of the ST. A quick forum search will reveal them in all of their (redundant) glory. Lastly, and most importantly, you may be surprised to find that we do not require yet another dedicated basher arena since pretty much every thread we have turns into one every 15 pages or so.

Lockdown sequence initiated.

tommy-lin, TheBBP, EHT and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.