main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Disable the ignore function

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ender Sai, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Why not use the ignore function? :p

(More seriously, apologies for the side discussion and Wookieepedia in-jokes. :))

GGrievous, TrakNar and Ender Sai like this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Assume I wasn't being serious with the get out comment. Not to the extent that you resume your public PM session, but to the extent of it not being indicative of a hurt butt. ;)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I figured that, hence the joking :p emoticon. :)

GGrievous and V-2 like this.
  4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    This amused me. I would never ignore it.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  5. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Two questions. As I really, kind of, perhaps, maybe, entirely loathe - to a certain degree - more or less, the 'followers' concept I was just wondering, firstly, if one were to say 'ignore' a 'follower' would that take them off of their 'follower' list or would that accomplish nothing? Secondly, when one clicks 'ignore' does that action instantly become available even for mods to view, like would it come up as a report or something, or would it fly under the radar, and not stir up any trouble?

My opinion of the 'ignore' function - as I have yet to use it - is thus far one of insouciance. For me 'tis just to whatever extent (great or small)... there... for the most part. Contingent on the questions above I might be able to weigh in on the subject matter a bit more, though.

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It doesn't remove them from your followers list. All ignoring a user does is auto-filter your view of the boards to hide their posts.

That said, all "following" does, if you have your online status hidden, is have your posts and likes show up in that user's private news feed.

If you're thinking to yourself "What news feed?" well, exactly.
    We don't get a notification or whatever you're driving at. Frankly we really don't care who anybody has on ignore, it doesn't impact our view of the boards.

7. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    I actually was just thinking "What news feed?" so I get your point. Still not a fan of 'following', but as it does not pertain to this thread I will not get into why. Plus, I like to bottle up my feelings, and sharing them would be out of character, as I am an enigma.
    Good to know... I read some time ago that mods had these reports that popped up on their screens, and I just wanted to make sure that, say I were to ever use the ignore function, that it would not be an irritating pop-up window that mods had to deal with or anything like that. Also, I think mods/techs/admins. can see IP addresses, PM conversations and such so, yeah, I just figured the 'ignore' thing would be open to see as well... anyway, I think you catch my drift. Also, 'tis nice to know that public regard of a person does not sway a mods viewpoint, as I can now breath a sigh of relief. Kidding... I endear myself to everyone.

Anyway, knowing all of this I say it should probably stay, as I am trying to look at it through the eyes of someone who cares what others think about them, and I would assume that for those people who understandably do - including any new posters who might come in the future to these parts - having the option to not interact with unruly sorts is oft times a necessity. Take into account, for example, a popular troll... now there are none on these boards, but if there ever were, then a new person might feel driven off the boards because the popular consensus is general disapproval of their own perspectives. The ignore function would be an asset to a person in that position. If even one person reaps the benefits, and 'tis in no way detrimental or ruinous to how these boards operate, then 'tis worth keeping, in my opinion.

Darth Pwn likes this.
  8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Question... how do you ignore annoying people in real life, where there's no button for you to click?

9. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I'd like it if there was an 'ignored by' counter under our avatars, or at least available to view on the profile page.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes we've paid attention to you as someone who is indeed, very punchy and everyone knows you are in fact spoiling for a brawl with a grievance list longer than a Leonard Cohen song.

Which means, since we've acknowledged it, you can stop now I think.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Now, he's going to tell you that there's an ignore feature, etc etc.... cuz that's funny, and stuff.

12. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    Is this a question for me?

Ok. I will answer it, then. When you ignore people in real life you walk away, obviously. That said, that does not always work in real life, though. Not always. 'Tis therefore not the best metaphor. If someone were to walk away in reality they could get their *** kicked just because they walked away. Also, what if one is excluded from a particular activity that they enjoy because they 'walk away' from a person. Heck, take school for example, if you are sitting in class and a kid is liked by the teachers (due to sports, good grades or whatever) decides to be mean, then the teacher would allow it, and you cannot exactly walk away from that.

If we are talking about this site, then 'tis the same thing, in my opinion. If you or I are true Star Wars fans, and this is the only place to go or is a favorite place of ours, then walking away, leaving the site, going to another thread or simply overlooking a mean comment toward oneself is not sufficient, fair nor should it be expected. Just because neither you nor I may care about what others think of us or handle a trolling situation by doing one/all of the listed options does not mean someone else has to handle it that same way. I do not use the ignore button, but I would not take it from someone who does.

13. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Why do you think that? Punchy I'll give you, as I try to write with concision. Why do you think I'm spoiling for a brawl though? Why do you think I have any grievances? Is it because I said I had ignored people in the past?

Why are you painting me as a troll?
    Nah, ^upset^ would be funnier I reckon.

14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Is this because of moviefan? I'm sure it's frustrating, but even without the ignore button your comments would have no chance of penetrating his level 70 religious armor, just as they had no chance before he put some of you on ignore.

Just seems like you guys are really letting him get you. Seems like the JCC just has a problem ignoring people.

I use the ignore function to get rid of spammers, both the advertising and nonsensical repetitive types, like moviefan (though moviefan is not on my ignore list, he's too amusing and I have no problem not responding to his hilariously absurd comments). Really, if everyone had just put him on ignore, this would be a non-issue. You'd be missing out on some hilariously stupid comments, but threads wouldn't get dragged down by his nonsense, either.

This is the only example I've seen of the ignore button causing a problem, I haven't had any problems with it, I haven't felt like I've missed anything (there is the option to show ignored posts on every page if things get confusing). If this is because of one rather inane circumstance, I think it would be unfortunate to let one person be responsible for removing something many find useful. If this has been stifling conversations across the boards and I've missed it, then everything I've said can be ignored and discussion should continue.

If this is because of moviefan, the ignore button is a great solution for those of you who just can't resist.

anakinfansince1983 and V-2 like this.
  15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Get rid. If you get so angry at someone's posts it's time to take a break anyway.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This isn't about MovieFan, or anybody else. It's about the feature being unnecessary.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Or laugh at the person's posts. Or come back at them with sarcasm.

The few people I have on ignore are people whose posts aren't worth reading at all, for either a response or simple amusement.

I ignored people on the IGN boards too. It was called the "glazed-eyed scroll down option" then. The ignore function just saves that step.

If there are people who put me on ignore because they don't find my posts worth reading...*shrug* who cares? It's not messing up my day.

Healer_Leona , CT-867-5309 and V-2 like this.
  18. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    What a meaningless point. At least Ender claimed that it was actually hurting discussions.

I don't find it necessary either, but I sure do appreciate it.

I think it is about moviefan, as it was quoted in the first post and brought up again on the first page as the problem.

ITT JCC is butthurt about moviefan ignoring them. Shrug.

Maybe I'll respond to some of Ender's points with my own personal opinions in a bit.

Healer_Leona and V-2 like this.
  19. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Pardon the double post, please.

I can definitely see the problem here, but I really think this a rare circumstance. Examples like moviefan are not even close to common.

Though one could say the TOS enforced good behavior on both parties, I don't think the mods did. At least, not in my experience. I'm sure someone like beezel would agree, and I know others do as well. Even if I'm completely wrong about it not being even-handed, the ignore button would render mod performance moot in such extreme cases of people not getting along. If one feels like they're being harassed and the TOS is not being enforced, then the ignore button can be a comforting last resort.

Though I've recently reduced my ignore list significantly, there was a time when it was much larger. I've never, not once, felt like I was missing salient posts. There is the "show ignored posts" option at the bottom of the thread if one feels like something is missing (I find it pretty easy to spot). If someone like moviefan refuses to use that option, then obviously that someone doesn't want to be aware of what's been posted, no matter how many times JCCers shout for attention.

You can't force someone to acknowledge your posts.

Me? I got into terrible, thread destroying, forum stinking whine parties. I'm sure I could dig up some examples for you. I saw many others do the same when the ignore button could have helped the situation.

Surprising to me, I never got banned. I probably deserved it.

An ignore button would have helped me immensely in those situations, it would have put an end to my participation in conflicts that basically blew up an entire forum and made the place miserable. Unsurprisingly, most of my participation in those same conflicts basically disappeared once the ignore button became an option on the temp boards. I find it unfortunate that others did not follow my advice to simply put problem users on ignore. Some of those users were and still are permabanned. Others left permanently because they couldn't stand certain users.

I would have loved to have the ignore button on the old boards, and I would have loved to be ignored by those who found me unbearable on the old boards.

Very interesting points. I'm not an admin, I just have no idea how this would be handled by mods.

However, I can give you my view.

I don't really care if someone I'm ignoring baits me, because I can't see it, so I don't care. I'm not worried about my reputation around here or anything. I LOVE that I can't see their baiting, because it costs exactly zero energy for me to ignore it. I feel that the mods can do whatever they want in that situation, mod or don't mod it, I don't care, I can't see it.

I don't know about socks. Aren't socks supposed to be a no-no, period? I have no idea. However, constantly making socks to "get at" someone who has you on ignore sounds like harassment, or just jackass behavior. Should probably be against the rules.

Has it impacted community discussion? Or has moviefan just got you guys? It wouldn't impact discussion at all if he was just ignored. Jello called the whole thing pretty early, on page seven I think. Really, I can't think of a single other example in the JCC, outside of moviefan.

I don't really care what you think my use of the ignore button says about me. I like the ignore button and will continue to use it at my leisure as long as it exists.

I can definitely see what you're saying here, especially if it gets out of hand and it's just masses of people ignoring each other.

Only that's not the case. At all. Not even close, it's just a few. One, the one who inspired the creation of this thread, is no real loss.

This person's points hardly deserve to be acknowledged, especially since he doesn't acknowledge any opposing points himself.

I think everyone realizes that discussing anything with him is a useless enterprise, besides the amusement that can be derived from his insanity.

(I really don't enjoy singling him out, I just feel like he's being singled out anyway)

The thing is, I don't "need" it, I want it. It's great for spammers, of which there are many, and the few that I have no interactions with that aren't destructive and poisonous to myself and the community.

How did I cope before it was implemented? Poorly. I would have enjoyed the old boards much better with the ignore button. Btw, why should I have to cope with anything I don't have to? The ignore button removes any need for coping mechanisms.

How are you coping with the ignore button? Looks like poorly. Maybe you should just harden up a little. What do you care if someone like moviefan ignores you?

I tend not to spend time with people who annoy me in real life. Do you spend much time with people who annoy you?

So yeah, I don't just ignore them, I remove them from my life entirely.

I've been fortunate to not have to work with anyone I find annoying, but I imagine that would add stress I don't want, certainly don't need.

The ignore button essentially allows me to remove unbearably annoying people from this site, how is that not awesome? It's the internet equivalent of just walking away, as one user mentioned above.

I'm not talking about minor annoyances here. I'm talking about people I just can't get along with, and don't think I should have to spend the energy to get along with. It's the freaking internet, I'm not putting energy into making nice with someone I've never even met. Why get into one explosive conflict after another, stinking up the forum, when I can just click a button and put an end to the problem permanently? Why spend the energy required to ignore them when a button makes it automatic?

There's not a lot of logic (in fact there's zero logic) in telling people to "just ignore them", to just skim over their posts, but then telling them not to use the ignore button. Why not use the ignore button, if you're just going to skim over their posts and ignore them anyway? What's the difference?

It just seems like some people are pleading for their posts to be read. Seems like egos have been bruised. Seems like attention whoring. Not that I'm mad about it, I just don't think it should be the inspiration for change.

I like the ignore button, I was one of the ones who asked for it on the old boards, and I'd like it to stay. But if it doesn't, it's just one more reason not to sign in regularly.

Just my opinion, take it as you will.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No, I appreciate it and I think it's a well rounded post.

I'm not upset by people having me on ignore; I'm concerned that it was impacting discussion and I was content to shut up about it until I saw tom express something similar.

tom is pretty laid back so on my end at least, it's a situation where if I use him or Frieda as a barometer I can gauge whether or not it's worth raising.

If it was just me, well, I'd have stayed silent.

21. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I've never understood the point of the ignore feature as it makes threads disjointed, personally I'd rather it was turned off.

As an aside Moviefan has Ascended level 90 Legendary Religious armour with Cross of the Homeschooled runes. It's super blinkered.

22. Asajj_Kenobi

Asajj_Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2004
    I agree. I know dozens and dozens of people whose coping mechanism was to leave and never return to certain forums and it is sad because this should be a place where everybody should feel comfortable. I come to these boards to relax and not get aggravated by people who are obnoxious. The Mods can't always help because you can be a royal pain in the butt and still remain within TOS. Some forums have moderators that are very good at shutting down snide comments and behaviors that border on baiting and flaming. Other forums are much more tolerant of discourteous behavior.

Not everybody has thick skin and I don't understand why somebody should need thick skin to visit a Star Wars Forum.

If the Ignore button makes the forums more enjoyable for some people, I say keep it.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    This is kind of core for me, because you've got this disconnect in the discourse that did not exist before.

The ignore function effectively substitutes the need to either find common ground with someone, or have a mod intervene for them and does so at the expense of the wider conversation.

The points about how people use the ignore feature and 'thicker skins' - I can't relate, I'm sorry, to anyone who can't manage their interactions with people on this forum. I'm not judging, I'm simply saying, that's so far removed from how I act and I can't empathise.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    If you need a thicker skin on here, I don't know how you cope with real life.

TrakNar and harpua like this.
  25. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Some have no shell at all like me. It s not a choice like many seem to assume, not for all. I agree with @ Asajj_Kenobi. Certain areas are much rougher because consistency is rare. Though I currently don't employ the ignore function, I was among those that wanted one for years. It gives each user another possible way to minimise frustration and suffering. This place is meant to be fun, the option to ignore users known to rile may aide this.

V-2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.