main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Disable the ignore function

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ender Sai, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asajj_Kenobi

Asajj_Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2004
    If you cannot empathize at all, then you might be one of those thick skinned people that don't understand that their particular humor or comments are coming off as grating (I don't know you, so I may be completely wrong). Sometimes people get tired of certain people making the same point over and over and over in some threads. You heard them the first fifty times...but then a Newbie pops in and says something and that particular person has to regurgitate their opinion again. After hearing it the hundredth time it is nice to just ignore it. It borders on spam.

Once I have seen a thread where the conversation became a little disjointed and one person told the "Ignorer" that the "Ignoree" just commented on that point and maybe they should "view ignored content". It turns out the person didn't have the ignore button activated....they were just plain out ignoring the person. So growing a thick skin and ignoring a person without the assistance of a button can also cause disjointed posts. But if in fact the use of the ignore button is causing a problem why not address the problem in the thread instead of turning off a feature that many people may enjoy.

Is there a way for the administrators to find out if this feature is being used by a lot of people? If it is a huge percentage, then it is obviously a feature people find valuable.

There are a lot of social threads where people openly discuss their anxiety problems. I think telling people to grow up and toughen up is rude to people who are coping with anxiety and depression and have a hard time dealing with pseudo-trolls. They end up just leaving the forums.

300 mg of Welbutran and .5 mg of klonopin daily.

2. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    If you haven't ignored everyone except Moviefan and Antichrist in a thread then you haven't lived.

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

So... you don't leave your home? You've never had an obnoxious boss, relative, teacher, or coworker? You live in a bubble where you don't have to interact with people who annoy you... ever?

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I've been on here since 2001. And since then, I've had the ability to ignore. I prefer to call it "scrolling past" but whatever. The contention that Ender is bringing up (not that I speak for Ender, you understand) is that the ignore function removes the fact that individual posts are being ignored. It's a catch-all, when we should be operating on the post, not the user level. I may wish to ignore harpua on her thoughts about Red Dwarf's Rimmer, but does that mean with a click of the mouse I should ignore her thoughts on every other topic? I'd say not. We are a community, not an unsocial network.

TrakNar and harpua like this.
  5. Asajj_Kenobi

Oct 4, 2004
    Stay on topic.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think the forum is a better place if people who don't like particular types of humor or "grating" posting styles have the option of using the ignore feature instead of complaining about particular types of humor or "grating" posting styles.

Why? Because people with particular types of humor and "grating" posting styles make this place better.

Not everybody agrees, I get that...and that's why we have the ignore feature.

And people who do nothing but complain that other people should be more serious/treat the forum like a ****ing UN debate are annoying. A few of them are on my ignore list. (Not CA or Asajj_Kenobi, I actually like both of them.)

The ignore feature can make conversations disjointed, but that's the problem of the person reading the conversation, not an across-the-board problem. If Moviefan is ignoring half the people in the misogyny thread, I don't know how he's reading it or why he's bothering, but I also don't care.

Don't want to use it, fine, but I don't really see the point of taking the option away from people who find it useful.

I do think you need a thick skin to post here just because this site is as big as it is but that isn't the point. Even thick-skinned people sometimes want the option of not reading certain posts.

And Ender_Sai, I get that the feature might prevent finding common ground if used too quickly or too often but I've used it after realizing that there is absolutely no common ground to be had. And that does happen, especially with this many users.

7. Asajj_Kenobi

Oct 4, 2004
    Are you patronizing me? If so I shall Ignore thee...hey where did Anakinfansince1983 go? ;)

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Stay on topic.

9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I agree with you, AK. I'm one such anxious person and you're right that manner does little good.

Asajj_Kenobi likes this.
  10. Asajj_Kenobi

Oct 4, 2004
    Stay on topic.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Stay on topic.

12. Asajj_Kenobi

Oct 4, 2004
    Stay on topic.

V-2 likes this.
  13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Stay on topic.

14. Asajj_Kenobi

Oct 4, 2004
    Stay on topic.

V-2 likes this.
  15. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Stay on topic.

TrakNar and Asajj_Kenobi like this.
  16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Stay on topic.

17. Asajj_Kenobi

Oct 4, 2004
    Stay on topic.

V-2 likes this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Stay on topic.

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Stay on topic.

V-2, TrakNar and Malcolm Reynolds like this.
  20. Shira A'dola

Shira A'dola Jedi Master star 6

Sep 4, 2012
    I would prefer to keep it. I have one or two users ignored and I would prefer to keep it that way. As a relatively specific example, I had a user who harassed me for a long time. And while what he was doing was morally wrong, it wasn't necessarily against TOS so the mods couldn't find a legitimate reason to ban him. Ignoring him has given me a way to completely cut myself off from him. Honestly, I think this should be a personal choice. There are plenty of good uses for the ignore button.

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    How do I ignore this thread?

22. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Why would you want to ignore this thread? I find it to be rather entertaining.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  23. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    This is the problem with scifi forums, they attract a spectrum of people who just cannot get along with each other, who just will not share a sense of humour.

Moderation and ignore fixes this to some extent.

24. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Certain people can't give others the time of day due to their personal beliefs and opinions.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Stay on topic, thread.

Ender Sai likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.