main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Disable the ignore function

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ender Sai, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I used to be in favor of the ignore feature, thinking that it could help isolate trolls and borderline trolls. Now, I'm not that sure of that anymore. It might be doing more bad than good. I'm seeing some good arguments in here.

I, for obvious reasons, have never been able to use this function, so I'm following this thread closely and with interest. As is all of Mod Squad.

harpua likes this.
  3. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    It really could be great for identifying trolls/semitrolls/demitrolls/hemisemidemitrolls if there were some sort of 'ignored by' counter. I'd prefer such a counter to be visible to all (some could see it as a badge of honour), but it would certainly be useful to have it visible to mods.

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    That assumes the only way Mods can spot trolls is through this ignore counter. If a mod doesn't recognise a troll in their own community, they shouldn't damn well be moderating it.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This would only be an indicator if everyone used the function. Even if they did, it'd be easily abused if used in that fashion. "Hey guys I hate this person put him/her on ignore so the mods see it and get rid fo them."

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Question: is it true that if someone you are ignoring tries to PM you, it won't go through? That was my understanding but I may have it wrong.

If that is the case--in a situation in which a user is harassing another user in a thread and chooses to take it to a PM after the mods issue a cease and desist, the ignore function could prove useful there. Yes, I know admins can see PMs and that harassment via PM is against the TOS, it just seems that this feature could save that extra step. Harassing PMs never go through, the admins don't have to deal with them.

I understand the argument that a person responding to only part of a post and messing up the conversation that way but is it really such an issue that it warrants turning off the feature? I post all over this site and haven't seen much of that, and it seems like the problem of the person who missed part of the conversation and subsequently made an ass out of him or herself.

As far as people creating socks to try to force other people to respond to their posts...wow. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it sounds like the type of people who need to move past beating up kids for their lunch money in elementary school bathrooms and grow the **** up. Also sounds like a reason to keep the feature, not discard it.

I wouldn't think it would necessarily isolate trolls, but I do think that it might make trolling more difficult. A troll's entire point is to get a rise out of people; it's hard to get a rise out of people who can't see your posts.

Some people are going to respond to trolls anyway but it does seem that it would limit the responses, and the reports to the moderators.

Rew and V-2 like this.
  7. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I agree with Ender. What does that mean? Are we like to close neighbors that hate each other but agree to fight unfair tax burdens?

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    What bad is it doing, exactly? Causing people who use the ignore button to miss comments from certain users, aka working exactly as they intended?

Removing the ignore button will force people to expend energy to ignore others at best, inspire more volatility at worst. I doubt it will result in increased discussion, except for maybe the kind that ends in bans.

You can't force people to play with people they don't want to play with.

The thing is, someone who has decided to use the ignore button has decided they don't want to participate in a debate with that person at all.

The post is still there even if you have a person on ignore, and you can decide to read and respond to it if you want. You can even see that that person has posted something, it just removes the post.

I find it much easier to not have to skim at all, especially through a thread that has one person saying "dis was gud" or some other unintelligible nonsense dozens of times. Or the RLM fools who drop by to tell us the same crap we've heard a billion times. Or any other example of clutter that I don't want taking up my time and energy.

The ignore button makes it literally effortless to avoid somebody who bugs you.

It may not be necessary, but this is the internet, where everyone can have it their way.

It wrecks discussion with someone who has chosen not to have a discussion with you. Remove the ignore button and that person probably still won't respond.

Personally, I haven't seen a single good reason to remove the ignore button, unless you count "it slightly hindered discussion for some people that one time". Even the very rare occasions it does hinder discussion, it often only hinders discussion for the person being ignored. When the potential discussion is limited to only two people, it works perfectly.

Even that one time in the JCC, the damn thread still hit 40+ pages, because people just couldn't ignore nonsense not worth a response anyway.

Moviefan2k4 has "gotten" the JCC better than anyone I've seen, if it was intentional, he'd be the most effective troll since I've registered.

9. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I didn't make that assumption at all. Mods are not perfect beings, they can't read everything, some people are not inclined to report nasty behaviour, and most importantly different people have different opinions on what constitutes trolling.
    I disagree. Good trolls don't antagonise everyone.

But saying that would surely be bullying, which would be breaking the rules. Every feature can probably be abused and exploited by mean spirited people.

An ignored-by counter wouldn't just be useful for identifying trolls but also spammers, the terminally dull, the inescapably annoying, etc. It might also be beneficial for mods to identify the biggest ignoreERs if indeed there is a problem with disjointed threads (which isn't something that's ever troubled me).

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You miss my point, V2.

A good mod is across the discussions in the forum, knows the personalities, and when something is amiss.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I wouldn't expect the mods to use an "ignore counter."

I would expect the ignore feature to, as I said, reduce the amount of moderating that they have to do because it makes it easier for people to just hide harassing people from their feed, and keeps the trolls from having as much fun.

12. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Using their spidey sense or their omniscience?

Not everyone is as vocal as the people in this thread. Not everyone has a personality, let's face it.
    Yeah but the mods should be aware of ignores. I'll file my wish for an ignore counter next to the 'dislike' button for the time being, it seems to have no support whatsoever. ;)

13. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I'm sure our userpages will feature a "Ignores received," complete with their own trophies.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    V2, I'm drawing on my experience as a mod here for 3 years. You?

15. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    If you can't take this community and all of us **** then you risk getting labeled when you pick and choose who you want to listen to. Why labeled, cause instead of being able to contribute to the discussion you will just make yourself look foolish.

Watch your language.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL. I won't speak for anyone else but I personally don't give a **** if I get "labelled" for choosing who I want to interact with.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It seems impossible to determine the extent of the problem. Just how common are these disjointed discussions? I'm all over the boards and I haven't seen them much. That one in the JCC is the very first that I can recall happening in the JCC. I've seen it happen in one thread in Lit, due to someone who could be Moviefan's sock being ignored. That's it, I can't think of any other examples. The latter wasn't what I'd call a problem, merely a minor hiccup.

Are these disjointed discussions as common as, say, toxic blow ups between people that destroy a discussion, thread or even an entire forum? It seems like I see those blow ups, on one scale or another, almost every time I log in.

Is preventing these disjointed discussions as important as preventing blow ups?

V-2 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  18. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Its not who you ignore that gets you labeled. Its when you misread a discussion cause you ignored a poster.
    Puts new meaning to the word Ignorance.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Which part of that am I supposed to care about?

V-2, Jedi_Lover and CT-867-5309 like this.
  20. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I'm drawing on your experience as a mod too. ;)

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I thought you only joined in 2012.

22. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    You're very tiring when you want to be. If only there were some way of pretending you weren't there...

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  23. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Maybe its me but most people that claim to use the ignore button haven't really been given hard time. Those that have been banned a long time seem to understand its part of this place.

24. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    In relation to this thread topic, and due to my unfamiliarity with using the 'ignore' feature, I just did a little experiment to see as to how much ignoring someone actually derails the thread. I know... I am that committed...

So, anyway, I ignored Ender Sai (nothing personal, of course, but as this is your thread and you are one of the key spokesmen toward discontinuing the ignore system I thought it would be wise to see just how much of a potential problem clicking ignore actually is in terms of impeding a topic that is currently ensconced in discussion).

Admittedly, it was weird, nay downright bizarre seeing Cushing's Admirer and others talk to themselves straight out of the gate. Also, I would have never known Ender's viewpoints had it not been for a vague mention here and there, or due to a scattered name drop, but basically, while I found ignore to be disorienting on some occasion, it did not hinder the overall thread, as right away I could still see that 'twas Ender who began the thread topic, which tells me if I truly wanted I could click un-ignore to get Ender's perspective or click show ignored content... both of which are just a click away. Another nicety that apparently is displayed even during the ignore process is that I could still view Ender's 'likes' which again lent me a peek at his perspective if I were inclined to care.

Bottom line... the ignore feature may cause one to lose their bearings amidst an ongoing discussion, made more so if you were to ignore the thread creator, but all-in-all not once did it feel as if I were missing an integral point of discussion, so much so, that I felt I could not jump right in at any time and contribute to the discourse. Nothing about the process felt at odds with the theme of the thread, and say someone decided to abuse such a privilege with its' oversaturation (abusing said privilege being a subjective opinion, of course, as I would not know as to what truly constitutes as such) I cannot see any instance in which such a course of action would incite disjuncture of the thread as a whole.

Say I were to ignore all but two people on this particular thread, then post an opinion... how would that then detract from those whose perspectives I chose to ignore? In my opinion, it simply does not. Others would still be privy to their prior discussions. At most, if I were to post an outlandish statement that makes no sense it would leave said declaration subject to a mods' authority, or it would make me appear quite the fool... neither of which would prove detrimental to the debate. Just, perhaps, my pride. Luckily enough, if my ignoring others became too much of a burden for any one individual - along with my comments - those people have the option of using a function perfect for such a situation... yes, ignore. 'Tis a saving grace of sorts, a tool used to weed out any perceived impurities for oneself.

People have brought up here the question as to how one might handle a real-life circumstance whereby the ignore button is not present. Honestly, I find this flabbergasting as I have never seen an occasion in which the option to not have to deal with unpleasantness has ever been brought into question, and put up as an idea for the chopping block. That is laugh out loud funny, odd and slightly disturbing all at once in my opinion. Leave it to the Internet.

The only occasion I could see the ignore function having any overt impact on whatsoever were to be if the majority of users were to ignore nearly everyone, as that could then hurt future traffic to the site, but that is a long shot at best... especially the future traffic part, as that is but a pipe dream.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    On the real-life question, I occasionally have to deal with someone annoying at work, or in traffic, or out doing normal real-life activities. But I don't choose to socialize with annoying people.

And this place isn't work. It's not the grocery store. It's not rush hour traffic. I suppose it is, occasionally, the bathroom, with a lot of **** happening.

But the bottom line is that it's supposed to be fun, and in real life I would assume that setting out to have fun, does not involve including annoying people in social activities.

The ignore button enhances harmless fun and takes away from harmful fun perpetuated by trolls and harassers.

Rew, rdhight, TrakNar and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.