main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Disallowed Works List

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Miana Kenobi, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Disallowed Works List

Archie Comics *
    Hakusensha **
    Shogakukan
    Kodansha
    Anne Bishop
    Kristen Britain
    P.N. Elrod
    Raymond Feist
    Jasper Fforde
    Terry Goodkind
    Laurell K. Hamilton
    Robin Hobb
    Annette Curtis Klause
    Megan Lindholm (Robin Hobb)
    Anne MacCaffrey ***
    George R.R. Martin
    Dennis L. McKiernan
    Robin McKinley
    Larry Niven
    Irene Radford
    Melanie Rawn
    Georges Remi (Herge)
    Anne Rice
    Anne Rampling (Anne Rice)
    A.N. Roquelaure (Anne Rice)
    Chelsea Quinn Yarbro
    Holly Lisle
    Marion Zimmer Bradley
    Diana Gabaldon

* Archie Comics owns publication writes to comic titles that have previous owners or are derived from other types of media including movies, video games and books. Some of these titles include:

Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic X
    Sabrina, the Teenage Witch
    Josie and the Pussycats
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures

** Hakusensha is a publisher of Shoujo manga. Titles include:

Angel Sanctuary
    Berserk
    Fruits Basket
    Hana Kimi
    Skip Beat!
    Vampire Knight
    Ouran High School Host Club​

*** Anne MacCaffrey does allow fan fiction of her work, but she has a set of guidelines that she asks authors to follow: MacCaffrey's Fan Fiction Rules

**** Archie Comics owns TMNT Adventures, which is considered an AU TMNT comic. Mirage Studio owns TMNT, and as they have no qualms, TMNT fan fiction based off of either the movies or television shows is permitted.

2. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Um, Nora Roberts/ JD Robb does allow fan fiction. She says so here.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Thank you very much :) It's been removed.

4. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    I'm confused about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles one, I was under the assumption that fandom in general allowed fanfiction, or does Adventures refer to merely a certain section of them? I know I've seen fanfic for them online.

5. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    After a week of wrestling with my inner demons (and, for the most part, having the stuffing beaten out of me) I've managed to come out on top. So before my moral fiber gives out on me again -

The following Japanese publishers disallow fan fiction. The links are to the web pages explicitly stating this. ('Course, they're all in Japanese so you might want to use babelfish or something.)

Shogakukan
    Hakusensha
    Kodansha

I was going to post a list of off-limits fandoms here, but decided against it because a) even a partial list would be unbelievably long, b) most people wouldn't need it anyway, and c) I got seriously depressed somewhere near the end of the Bs. If you want clarification on a Japanese manga/anime, post the fandom here and I'll see what I can find out.

- lazy

BTW: Inuyasha is published by Shogakukan. Sorry, ophelia. :(

6. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    This is what I get when I run the Shogakukan site through Google's translation service . . .
    It seems to be only banning direct copying of images and publication contents . . . ?

7. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Oh I am too. I've been trying to figure it out but keep coming up dry. Websites like FF.N still allow TMNT and even Sonic fan fiction, even though those are both on the list. Until we can find a definite answer, I think being safe and keeping them off is better than being sorry.

8. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Updated again.

9. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    That notice, at least for Shogakukan, basically says reproduction of their published stuff is forbidden. It says nothing about fan-produced works that are "original". So fanfic isn't even mentioned on that.

Dana

10. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    Dear gods, am I the only person here who can read Japanese?

Third on the no-no list:

Summaries of [Shogakukan] publications and stories based on [Shogakukan] publications.

- lazy

11. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Probably. :p

I'm adding them all.

12. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    *looks at list...* No Patlabor? Really? Wow...

13. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Larry Niven doesn't allow fanfiction either? Wow.

14. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002

There's no need to get snotty. You're the one who suggested we use babelfish. [face_plain]

Dana

15. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Hey guys, chill por favor. All three have been added to the list, since I don't read Japanese and don't trust babelfish. Lazy does, so I will take his word for it. :)

16. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Mmm, chili por favor. =P~

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

Probably because most know the TMNT from the movies and cartoons and the TV/Film rights are owned by Fox if I remember correctly (same with Sonic I believe).

And I could have sworn Marvel was publishing Sonic now. Wrong?

18. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    Er . . .

In this hand, I hold Sakura Wars, a game created by Red Entertainment for Sega. To the best of my knowledge, neither corporation explicitly forbids fan fiction.

And in this hand, I hold the manga adapation of the game which is published by Kodansha. Though I wish it were otherwise, this publisher doesn't allow fan fiction.

Does this mean Sakura Wars fics can't be posted here?

- lazy

PS: I just realized the manga version of TPM was published by Shogakukan (also on the Disallowed List). I think I see a glimmer of hope . . .

19. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Crikey. You do come up with the most interesting questions, lazy. :p

I think if the original creator has no problem with fanfic, then we don't need to worry about anyone else who publishes works based off the original, so long as the creator still has ultimate control over the works. It's not like Del Rey has the authority to say no to SW fanfic (I hope not, anyway).

So, theoretically, if Red Entertainment and Sega are okay with fanfic, even just implicitly, Sakura Wars is okay. But then, that goes against the logic of disallowing the Archie Comics publications...or, perhaps that's why FFN still has Sonic and TMNT fanfic. Aha!

Any help here would be hot. :p

20. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Just so people know, Georges Remi is the real name of Herge who created Tintin

21. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Added that in - thank you!

22. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Lazy? Is Evangelion on that list of disallowed?

23. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    DaenaBenjen42: Is Evangelion on that list of disallowed?

I assume you're talking about the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion. Lemme see . . .

*checks Wiki Japan*

*looks around*

As far as I can tell, Gainax * does not explicitly disallow fan fiction. In fact, the article at Wikipedia (the one in English) states that the company allows fan-made fiction. But since there's no source listed for this, I think I'll stick to saying that there's nothing specifically forbidding fan fiction.

- lazy

* The anime studio that created NGE and owns the copyright. However, the manga adaptation lists Studio Khara as well as Gainax as the copyright holders. Given that Khara was founded by Hideaki Anno (writer/director of NGE and one of the founders of Gainax), er . . . actually, I'm not sure what this means. I couldn't find anything about fan fiction over at the Studio Khara official site, though, which is all the NSWFF rules require.

24. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    No Sailor Moon? No Inuyasha? Ye, gods...

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I think it depends on who created what first. TMNT was definitely to the best of my knowledge created by Archie comics so it would probably be off - limits.

On the other hand, I do believe the Sega game of Sonic came before the comic and as Sega/Nintendo (didn't they merge sometime in the 2000's?) has never come out one way or the other against fanfiction I would presume that Sonic would be allowable as the game corporation created Sonic first.

Edit: Yep the video game by Sega came first! Wikipedia says so.:)

Also another thing to consider is the fact that various media adaptations vary. Consider Sabrina, The Teenage Witch. The ABC version is wildly different than the Archie comics version is. I'm not saying ignore the original creator's wishes against fanfiction simply because offical media adapts it differently, but there is something to be said when different media properties of the same source material produce something vastly different from each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.