main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Disallowed Works List

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Miana Kenobi, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    so if i wanted to write something in the forgotten realms world, there would be no problems with that as it would be using established settings in said world? thereby making it not DND based, but rather forgotten realms based?

:snoopy

2. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    That's what I'm asking. A blanket "No D&D" rule would prohibit any subfandom within the larger whole, such as FR or Dragonlance.

3. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i'm going off of that... which would make it a yes. i'm wanting to do a fanfic off of neverwinter nights... which is forgotten realms, with a DnD base for the systems and so forth beneath it.

now here's another question. what if you're wanting to do a fanfic off of one of the various DnD scenarios that exist? the classics, for instance? those are well established, and would be pretty easily reconizable as such if based off of those and it was stated as such. would those be allowed?

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Ah, sorry about that. Yes to the Forgotten Realms, and any other publish D&D work that allows fanfic. As to the classics, we'll talk.

5. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Sorry for sticking my nose in here where it may not be warranted, guys, but the gurl asked me to stop by seeing as I'm running a post-by-post D&D RPG on NSWRPF.

First thing is the ownership of D&D. Wizards of the Coast -- same guys who made a little game called "Magic: The Gathering" -- owns it, lock, stock, and two smoking barrels, ever since they took over TSR in its entirety. WoTC is also a subsidiary of Hasbro, of course. It also (as I understand it) owns the licences for the various Dungeons and Dragons settings like Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Eberron and the rest. Each of those settings were licenced by, and released under the WoTC label. From memory WOTC also has the rights to the older versions of D&D as well, since they were TSR products and WOTC took over TSR. Gary Gygax from memory doesn't even come into it; he left TSR so long ago he wouldn't have any rights to much of the stuff that's around right now.

Since WoTC owns the lot, and since WOTC itself hosts Dragonlance fanfiction on its own site, I actually tend to think they're not going to get het up about somebody writing a fan fiction based on the old, old classic version of "Tomb of Horrors" or Greyhawk. Having said that, I've been wrong before. :)

6. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    thanks for clarifying nat, and that's some very useful info saint. so... i'm guessing that for now it's all fair game, more or less, so long as it's some established scenario or world? (that's what i'm getting from this whole thing)

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks a ton, Saint [:D]

And we're going to go with what he said ;) Everything established is okay.

8. Lithiniel

Lithiniel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2006
    Here's one I'm not too sure about, and really not certain there would be much of a fanbase here for this: Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber.

I know Zelazny himself didn't want anyone else writing Amber professionally, but I haven't yet run across a prohibition against fanfic. On the other hand, I haven't seen any Amber fics... (not that I've been looking all that hard....)

Anyway, it's just a thought. I recently finished the first five books, and was inspired...

9. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Didn't find anything against it, and a few fics did pop up on FFN, so I think you're good to go. :)

10. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Here's a little petition to get Sailor Moon removed from the disallowed works list.

First and foremost, only the creator holds copyright to Sailor Moon any more. That changed over several years ago. Here you can see on the official site that while Bandai owns the content and whatnot of the site, Naoko owns Sailor Moon. Currently, Kodansha has no rights to Sailor Moon. Stuff goes out of print really quickly in Japan, so this might be true of other manga series and the publishers no longer have rights to them.

Secondly, Takeuchi Naoko loves fanfiction. I scanned this from the back of the second volume of the English release of the manga. She frequently made author comments before and after chapters, and this was one of the early ones.

11. KellyLCrutcher

KellyLCrutcher Jedi Master star 2

Feb 28, 2009
    There's a lot of works listed on this disallowed list; I wanted to ask if Star *Trek* fanfics would count among them.

I'm trying to work out a Trek fic set after "The Search For Spock", (my fic might be considered alternate universe) and I wanted to ask whether it would be okay to post that kind of stuff here first.

12. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Star Trek is on the allowed list, so of course we welcome Trek fic!

And SoA, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. We're discussing removing SM.

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Star Trek is fine. There's an imcomplete list of allowed fandoms in the second post of the FAQ.

Edit - Mi! :p

14. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    WHAT? Not my fault you posted at the same time as me! :p

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Sorry, we keep posting/editing over each other 8-} SM is fine :)

16. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    What she said. Adding it to the allowed list.

17. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Hoorah! Thanks for taking the time to think that over. Now my army of SM OCs can hop on over here too.

18. AMNDRAG_01

AMNDRAG_01 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2008
    listen i'm new here and this infromation is driving me crazy so is DnD baised stories allowed? And is Warhammer allowed?

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    D&D stories with established characters are allowed.

What medium is Warhammer and who is the author/publisher?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.