main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discard Deck

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: TCG' started by Jedi_Natalie, May 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I had something kind of wierd happen tonight. I have a dark side discard deck that I actually got to work pretty well. I had Nute Gunray in the character arena with Vader and my opponent had no characters. I forced a discard each turn from Nute and on top of battle and mission cards after a few turns my opponent was out of a hand but with Nute in the character arena every time he drew a card he had to discard it. Then he was building something big and I played error in judgement which discarded the unit being built.

I've always liked using Nute in my decks but never realized how really powerful that card can be. On top of that this deck is so much fun to play since a good portion of the cards deal with discards.

Question on a side note: If you build run the guantlet then your opponent retreats everything in the ground arena do you have to discard run the gauntlet or can you save it for later? We just discovered that missions must be played when built - before we just built them and used them when we thought most useful. This has changed some of our dynamic and this question came up tonight.

2. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    If you build run the guantlet then your opponent retreats everything in the ground arena do you have to discard run the gauntlet or can you save it for later? We just discovered that missions must be played when built - before we just built them and used them when we thought most useful. This has changed some of our dynamic and this question came up tonight.

Nope, you can save missions for whenever you want, its a great thread...
    'You put a unit in the ground arena and i play run the gauntlet!' Is a great threat.

Maybe you should throw in a few wat tambors to keep build points down for your opponant.

Note: Not many lightside decks leave charactor open because they have a large amount of Jedi at their fingertips.

3. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
    I'm not sure about your precise response Jedi_Benji, but I'll respond anew.

According to the rules for completing a Mission card, once you complete it, you do what it says, then immediately discard the card. It doesn't get to hang around.

Specifically in the case of Run the Gauntlet and its ilk, the effect is immediately triggered by "When the battle phase starts". If there are no Ground units to do dice of damage to, then its effect ends and play goes on. There is no held effect that allows you to wait for it to trigger. This could only happen if Run the Gauntlet's trigger was stated as "When the battle phase starts and your opponent has at least one unit in the Ground arena".

4. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Ok that is what I thought. I went through and read the new rulebook last week adn found a few things we had been doing wrong, what I stated above and we also built missions during setup. So without those 2 things everything is a little different but I actually like it better this way.

Another question regarding this: Does your opponent still get to gain the +2 force pertaining to Run the Gauntlet with no ground units?

I might have to give that a try adding in Wat Tambor but you are right that was a rare occurence of having no characters against me. Normally Nute is the first to get killed off.

5. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
    Yep, your opponent gains the +2 Force regardless of whether or not you roll the dice.

6. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    What i meant with the missions is that even though you may have all the build counters on a mission you do not have to play it straight away. That way you can 'bluff' your opponant into thinking you have a different card building, read the rules about bluffing, that will clear things up :)

Jedi Benji, In Lack of a Better Manual Sig :D

7. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Ohh yah i forgot about that. I'll have to remember that I can do that to a card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.