main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Discounting bad sequels from canon

Discussion in 'Community' started by drg4, Feb 22, 2013.

1. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    There are two ways to deal with mediocre follow-ups: balking at misguided creative decisions and wasted opportunities or flushing them down the memory hole altogether. I usually opt for the latter approach.

Example: Having been disenchanted with nearly every facet to The Dark Knight Rises, I leave the narrative with the Part II conclusion, whereupon Batman strives to fight the Joker's legacy from the shadows. Lonely, hunted, but resolute.

What are your departure points in genre film?

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    There were no sequels to Jaws.

3. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    You mean Canon Discontinuity?

With the Alien movies, I like to ignore Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection, and imagine the story ending with Aliens, and hoping someone gets the bright idea to to do a new Alien movie that follows from Aliens, ignoring those films, about an adult Newt taking up the mantle of Xenomorph-fighter from Ripley.

But it'll never happen.....

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    There were no Star Trek films in the original Star Trek universe after Star Trek: First Contact

5. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Rocky V never happened. Rocky defeated Communism and then whatever the hell happened in the last one happened. There was no in between.

Amazing.

6. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    There are only 3 Indiana Jones movies.

7. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Staying Alive comes to mind. The Two Jakes. And the Star Wars prequels--especially the prequels. Some would say The Godfather III but I don't remember hating it. Oh yeah: Robocop 2.

8. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    The Matrix: Revolutions never happened. The Matrix: Reloaded may not have happened either. It depends on the day.

Souderwan and Darth_Invidious like this.
  9. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Two Cameron picks for me. I discount all Alien films after ALIENS and all Terminator films after T2.

Quality is one reason, but also because both stories, IMO, END. To me both sequels did a good job saying all that there was to say about each film. T3 is not only crap, but also ruins the overall idea set up by the two films. Which was that the hero's were in charge of their fate, were able to change the future, and that a Cold Blooded Machine was able to understand concepts like love. T2 is very heavy on ideas like Sara becoming more Terminator while the Terminator became more human. It touched on just about everything needed to bring the ideas in the first film full circle.

Any sequel is gonna be nothing more than a rehash of what came before it. Which T3 and even Salvation to an extent prove.

As for Aliens, Ripley gets revenge, learns to like a Robot, and is able to find some hope in living a new life with a new daughter. The sequels just went through the motions, and didnt' have anything new to say because everything had already been said. Of course you could give arguements to what might have been. Scripts for Alien 3 and Alien 4 both had EARTH showdowns, and maybe you could say that the storyline called for atleast some kind of Ultimate Earth showdown with the Aliens. To me, you still don't need them.

EDIT: Indian Jones should have ended after Last Crusade. You don't continuie a story after the character rides off into the sunset. Sorry.

And Matrix said all it needed to say in one film.

10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The good thing about bad sequels is that they exist whether or not you believe in them.

Mortimer Snerd, MrZAP and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  11. Space_Caboose

Space_Caboose Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 14, 2009
    Hostel III

12. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I think we can all agree that Police Academy: Mission to Moscow also never happened. Really, when you have six near perfect movies, why make a seventh?

Amazing.

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why is it good that a bad thing exists?

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    PRENNTACULAR

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

It was a Neil Tyson quote I edited to fit this thread... 'good' is an integral part of the quote I didn't want to get rid of.

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Two Jakes would have been a perfectly nice little movie if it just hadn't been a sequel to ******* Chinatown, maybe the most perfect movie of the 1970s.

And I'm with drg4 on The Dark Knight Rises.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  17. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Going by the actual movie timeline and not real time... All the X-Men movies after First Class.

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    This whole school of thought that TDKR was terrible is starting to get annoying.

19. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Good Will Hunting 2: Hunting Season

Darth_Invidious and Ender_Sai like this.
  20. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    I'm still upset that History of the World Part II NEVER happened!

MrZAP, Souderwan, Frank T. and 3 others like this.
  21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Wait.... wait that happened?

[​IMG]

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Fixed.

23. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    It happened in the books. Newt and Hicks -- Alien fighters.

But after Alien3 killed them both
    (at least until Gearbox software got involved....)
    , the books were republished as two new characters....Corporal Wilks and Billie. :p

24. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    [​IMG]
    :p

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I know this is difficult news for some around here to handle, but some of us actually enjoyed TDKR. Shocking! :eek: