main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Discounting bad sequels from canon

Discussion in 'Community' started by drg4, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Spider-Man 3 didn't hit me as hard as it did others. They were all silly to me. I only really liked the second one. Consequently, 3 wasn't a big disappointment.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I actually didn't think Spider-Man 3 was THAT bad, but I think the film could have definitely done without the whole "Staying Alive" dance sequence that Raimi felt was needed to show 'bad' Peter.

MrZAP likes this.
  3. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    The slapstick is excised, leaving only a bit of Luthor/Otis material in the very beginning. The movie is pretty much played straight.

As much as I love Richard Lester's 60s/70s work, his approach for Superman--particularly at such an early juncture--was misguided.

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Then I will, every chance I get. :p "Unwatchable" is too kind and adjective for that steaming pile of turd.

It's not really a movie but I've decided that to me Mass Effect 3 does not exist. That's how much hate I still have for that monumental trainwreck and no amount of head-canon can alleviate the butthurt.

5. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I have a policy that goes "It doesn't matter if I liked it or not, or whether it was good or not; if they made it it's canon." If there are multiple cuts, then pick the one you prefer unless only one of them fits in with the rest of the story, but there's no leeway beyond that. I honestly think it's completely disrespectful and, in a weird way, morally wrong to just discount these works. For better or for worse people spent time working on them, hoping people would like them. That work should be given the minimal amount of honor necessary to acknowledge it, even if it's horrible.

So the whole idea of Canon/Fanon Discontinuity (or even plain old Fanon, for related reasons, but that's a different discussion) really just rubs me the wrong way. People saying "_____ doesn't exist." are wrong. It does. And it's canon. Get over it and accept the WHOLE story, even if you don't like all of it, for it is the right thing to do.

Yeah, I know, lol about talking about morality in the same sentence as bad movies, but I really do take storytelling very seriously.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  6. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    MrZAP: I know what you're getting at, and I agree with you on some points, but I wouldn't be upset if they made a new Alien movie that pretends Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection didn't happen, and focused on a adult Newt, is all.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The first two Shrek movies are the only ones that matter.

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    If pretending that Highlander II, Highlander III, Highlander:Endgame, and Highlander:The Source don't exist is morally wrong, I don't want to be right.

MrZAP, you would shackle us in chains too unspeakable to contemplate. I reject your horrifying totalitarian vision and embrace my right to choose.

Darth_Invidious and CT-867-5309 like this.
  9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The person with the worst taste on the boards likes something dreadful? No.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Fanon should be mocked and discarded at all times. There's never a moment when it's ok.

MrZAP likes this.
  11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    No.

By accepting crappy storytelling and giving it the same weight than to good stories, you're telling authors and more importantly producers that quality doesn't matter as long as it has the right brand name.

And screw their hard work. No matter what your kindergarten teacher told you, hard work isn't everything.

So let's all go outside and start burning copies of Terminator Salvation.

12. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Like most people here, I enjoy T1 and T2 but not T3 or Salvation. I also adore TSCC, so I'm not sure what level of canon I accept. Since the Terminator timeline split in two sometime after T2 and I accept one timeline but not the other.

And I refuse to buy Indy on Blu Ray because I want a box set but only of the first three.

13. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I liked Terminator Salvation.

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    let's burn genantilles too!

Ender_Sai and CT-867-5309 like this.
  15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Dave, I don't see where your argument quite holds. He didn't say that you had to acknowledge their work is good. Nor did he say that you had to reward the creators by purchasing these sub-par products. Zap simply argued that we should acknowledge their existence.

MrZAP likes this.
  16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Add another reason to the pile for ZAP not being world dictator.

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    No, Unknown Name, he said it was canon and we should shut up and deal with it. A quite different proposal than "acknowledging their existence": I acknowledge Alien Resurrection exists, and I'm sure the executive producer is a good parent, but I don't think of it when I think of the Alien universe. And I didn't even touch the ridiculous idea of turning something as normal as doing this into something "inmoral".

18. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    This whole "Earth goes round the Sun thing" is starting to get annoying as well.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  19. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I haven't seen the latest Nolan Batman film.

I would so win Shelf of Shame.

20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You must not actually read Shelf of Shame. Five to seven other people would also not have seen it, and two would ask if catching 30 seconds on TBS counted or not. :p

MrZAP likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've got you beat, I haven't seen TDK or TDKR. They're in my Netflix queue.

But I did win the movies round. :p

On Spider-Man, I thought the second was better than the first. I haven't seen the third one but my son hated it, switched it off halfway through, and he loved the first two.

22. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Good for your son. Smart kid.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    this is where she says, "he's 34".

24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

The hyperbole used there is making my point. :p

25. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Terrible is the wrong word. "Startlingly mediocre" covers it better.