main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Discounting bad sequels from canon

Discussion in 'Community' started by drg4, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That's kind of worse, IMO. At least terrible films are usually entertaining in the wrong way.

2. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Honestly if the Dark Knight Rises had come out before the Dark Knight people would be saying it was the greatest movie EVER!!! And if the Dark knight was the final installment in the trilogy it would be hated as much as The Dark Knight Rises is now. The Dark Knight had TONS of plotholes that everyone pretends don't exist but everyone magnifies every single detail of the Dark Knight Rises and act like the movie was written by a five year old.

People hate the The Dark Knight Rises because it had to be bad. You can't possibly top the Dark Knight, therefore whatever movie came out would 'suck'. And all superhero third movies end up being terrible, just look at Spider-Man 3! The whole Dark Knight Rises hate was one huge self-fulfilling prophecy. People hated it because they wanted to and expected to hate it.

I'm not saying you can't hate the Dark Knight Rises, but if you do you have to accept that the Dark Knight was just as bad if not worse, because the same criticisms of Rises were all there in the Dark Knight: Crazy Bat vehicle, villain who's motivations don't make any sense, villain has near omnipotent abilities to tell what everyone will do all the time, can't understand characters voices, last minute villain revealed and then defeated anti-climatically, character having a romantic relationship with another character for no reason, Batman using bullets on his vehicles and shooting and blowing things up, not knowing how human anatomy works, Batman quitting at the end and letting a convenient lie ease Gotham's pain while a new hero is used to replace him.

3. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    The problem is not any of those nit picky things. The difference is that I was entertained by TDK, and bored by TDKR. I don't demand that my Batman films be cinema verite, I just demand that I enjoy them.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, nice one, but my kids are 7 and 5.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    GenAntilles, you forget one crucial point; the Dark Knight has a solid plot, good acting, and a compelling narrative. Rises, by contrast, has a plot that's strung together by someone with dental floss and good intentions; laughable acting (e.g. "I... die... now.... aaarrrggghhhh" - Marion Cotiliard), and a narrative that borrows from Knightfall and No Man's Land a little bit whilst not really making sense and undermining the character (Batman fought, in his short career; Ra's al-Ghul, Scarecrow, Joker, Two-Face, Bane. This was over the space of just under 3 years).

I know you loved it, but it was crap. Skyfall's narrative was also flawed (is Silva bored, and constructs ridiculously esoteric capture-and-escape scenarios to alleviate the boredom?) but it was light years ahead.

You just have to deal with the fact that you liked the pretty visuals and others - most others - felt let down by it. There there. Here's a copy of Taken, so you can indulge revenge fantasies through Liam Neeson.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  6. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    TDKR also completely goes against the message of "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" Nolan, you are no Neil Gaiman.

7. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Believe me, if The Dark Knight was the last of the trilogy, I'd be saying, "Wow! Heath Ledger is fantastic! Why didn't they use him for the last one? Might have injected some life into that portentious, joyless trainwreck."

8. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    "Heath Ledger gave such a life-like performance for a corpse!"

MrZAP likes this.