main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Discover French comics : La Geste des Chevaliers Dragons

Discussion in 'Community' started by BaronNoir, Nov 4, 2012.

1. BaronNoir

BaronNoir Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2001
    (It was, incidentally, published by Marvel on this side of the Atlantic, the first tomes at least)

Basically, the serie is a serie of one-shot (usually drawn by different artists)

Dragons, in this fantasy world, are not usual : they are corrupters above anything else (they transform more or less quickly every single life form in a huge radius around them into hulking abominations). Dragons are apparently not terribly bright, but they are apparently quite able to use their influence (the Veil) to weaken resistance, as the Veil affect thought way before the body.

The only beings that can resist to this influence are Human maidens (maidens like, well, litteraly). This said, dragons are huge wyrms (usually several hundred meters long) and the eponym Dragon Knights have no Force-like powers: half the cast is dead usually at the end of the book.

With this dark fantasy setting, the books are surprisingly focused on the characters instead of larger struggles (for instance, girls that end up in the Order are usually survivors of Dragon infestation-classical....that were sent in the orders by their surviving relatives so the said relatives can secure the heritage. In fact, it's kinda like the Black Guard of I'n'F, or more prosaically like medieval monasteries, except that you are handed a bone sword and are fully excepted to use it on a drake and die horribly before you hit 18....)

The only really discutable point (made frequently in universe) about the topic is that the armor and the clothing of the Dragon Knights really don't help with them keeping the, uh, the key component of their antidragon powers. (TBH, dragons being giant lizards biogically in the setting, they tend to seek warm places, thus warranting the use of, uh, light armor. In the handful of books occuring in colder places, Knights wear more convenient gear)

Latest book...
    (http://soleilprod.com/album/2589/série/GESTE+DES+CHEVALIERS+DRAGONS+(LA)/titre/L'Ennemi)

As you see by the cover, an (open and admitted) hommage to Star Wars and the Jedi Order...but let's say that the younglings have a very tough training.
    http://www.digibidi.com/player/full/la-geste-des-chevaliers-dragons-11-toutes-les-mille-et-une-lunes

My personnal favorite, a remake of Heart of Darkness
    http://www.digibidi.com/player/full/la-geste-des-chevaliers-dragons-8-le-choeur-des-te

Side note : French comics have very very very different norms than American ones toward nudity. Geste comics are somewhat mainstream in France, but some pages would be problematic in the US.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    There's a small but visible push on 4chan's comics board to increase awareness of these titles, but it's a tough sell due to the dearth in translated material - obviously quite a bit of Asterix has been made available, and if Franco-Belgian stuff counts most of Tintin is out, but otherwise it's a crapshoot. So I'll be following this thread with great interest, I guess is what I'm saying. :p

3. BaronNoir

Sep 6, 2001
  4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, then, I know what I'll be buying with the leftovers from my next paycheck. :p

5. BaronNoir

Sep 6, 2001
  6. BaronNoir

Sep 6, 2001
    Who know, we could do scantranslations for French comics. (I could certainly do it, as translating French to English is way easier than translating Japanese to English)

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ramza, just learn French. Problem solved! Or you can just pay me a bunch to translate the issues you want :)