Discrepencies

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Erulin9_, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erulin9_ Jedi Knight

star 1
    I am sorry that I have only one, but I had a whole mental list at one time. Anyway here goes.

When Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are fighting the pair of Destroyer Droids, they can run away using "Force speed" but in the battle with Darth Maul, and when Obi-Wan falls off onto a lower walkway and jumps back up, he "has" to run normally to catch up and therefore is stuck behind the "shield" thing.

P.S. this topic is for either contradicting stated discrepencies or for posting ones that you have noticed.
  2. JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That's because Obi-Wan had just jumped a big jump, drained the Force out of him, also he was under a lot of stress, fighting a Sith Lord after all, that would make him lose his concentration, which makes it a lot harder to use the Force.

Just a theory though :)
  3. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I think Guff has it pretty much. Fighting with a lightsaber takes a lot of concentration and a Jedi/Sith is unable to use the Force for other tricks when they're dueling with another lightsaber/user. For example, Darth Maul had to break away from Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in the Theed Hangar to be able to throw the box at the door.

It looked like Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were having a bit of an easy time with those destroyers so maybe it wasn't as difficult for them to pull-off after they'd broken off from them? I don't doubt for a second that Obi-Wan would have been pretty tired after fighting Maul, being kicked and punched in the head and falling (what looked like) 2 or 3 stories to a metal walkway then Force-jumping back up and running to catch up.
  4. Erulin9_ Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thank you for your explanation, made sense. Now here is one, but I think that it is just a technical error. When Obi-Wan is hanging on to something in the battle with Darth Maul after Qui-Gon's death and he jumps up and grabs his master's lightsaber, Maul's lightsaber is turned off. Either that or I am seeing things.
  5. JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You are seeing things. I think...
  6. DarthWeenie Jedi Master

star 4
    Nah, hes right.

Stuff like that happens in movies.
  7. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Nope, I just checked the DVD and Maul's sabre is always lit.

I've always thought Maul was killed here due to two things...

1. For a Padawan, pulling off a Force Jump from only a hand-held position, and also managing to Force Grab Qui-Gon's lightsabre at the same time, is a pretty big task. Obi-Wan showed a suprising depth of Force ability to pull that one off.

2. Maul seemed suprised, but still could've taken a punch or kick, or whatever. His big mistake was in forgetting that Qui-Gon's lightsabre was still lying around, ready to be used. Maul may have had a split-second to steel himself to take a hit, but he didn't expect a lightsabre strike.
  8. DarthWeenie Jedi Master

star 4
    Its the scene wher you actually see Obi wan jumping. They forgot to add Mauls saber in.

Anyways, you bring up a good point. I always thought that Maul should have dropped his lit saber down onto Obi Wan. But that would have left him without a weapon in case it didnt work and Obi Wan avoided it.

But if Maul had half a brain, hed keep his own saber and grab Qui-Gon's to drop onto Obi-Wan. Or, dont forget, that he had another half of his lightsaber that was still good lying on the other side of the room. He could have tried both of those, and still held on to a weapon to defend himself if he needed it.
  9. The_living_force Force Ghost

star 1
    I think it would have been cooler if OB1 just activated Qui-Gons saber using the force and flung it at Maul. That force jump looks so slow, Maul could have sliced him up and put him on a pizza in mid-air.
  10. Ret Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    "and when Obi-Wan falls off onto a lower walkway and jumps back up, he "has" to run normally to catch up and therefore is stuck behind the "shield" thing. "

What if he had used force speed and got caught in the middle of the shield. Instant fried Ben Kenobi.
  11. KenKenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Darth Weenie: The other half of Maul's lightsaber was not functional. Because of its double-blades, it had to have two "hilts", which were actually molded and created to become one hilt to let out a blade on each end. When Maul's saber was cut in half (you can see some sparks) the power cell in that "hilt" is severly damaged. Therefore he could not have used it. (Obi-Wan is lucky he didn't blow up the power cell altogether: "insant fried Ben Kenobi" and Darth Maul ;) :p )

Anyways, even though Maul is experienced (to a degree) and strong within the Force, he too was an Apprentice. His senses did not pick up such a focus in the Force from Obi-Wan, therefore he did not think the young Jedi would be able to recover from both watching his Master get killed and then getting "beat-up". When Obi-Wan did Force Jump, Maul was taken by surprise and was unable to react by igniting his saber. (Read "Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter"; it shows clearly Maul's weakness in not being able to recover after quick astonishment) :)
  12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Right after Obi-Wan slices Maul's lightsaber, you can see the damaged half flying into the wall and exploding.
  13. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yup, only half the blade is lit because the other half was sliced off.

He still has one half lit when he turns and Obi-Wan slices him across the waist.
  14. JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Obi-Wan obviously could still use the force because he did that jump from the whole.He also had plenty of time to rest while standing behind the red thingy.

Also, MAul did the force push in the middle of fighting.
  15. DarthBurns Force Ghost

star 4
    He also had plenty of time to rest while standing behind the red thingy.

But if he'd have used the Force to run faster, he wouldn't have had any rest because he'd have been in the middle of the fight.

Also, MAul did the force push in the middle of fighting.

Yes, but he did that to finish the fight off, so it doesn't matter if he was tired as he didn't need to fight anymore.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.