main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discuss BP with Kathy -- Spoilers Welcome

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Shmi52, Oct 31, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shmi52

Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point star 3 VIP

Nov 20, 1999
    lejmar_faldor_uk -- Nothing currently, but a few years back I would've jumped at the chance to do a "Lois and Clark" tie-in.

I'm eagerly watching for more familiar faces, like Obi-Wan's, to see the origins of our old friends. I know there will be more in Episode II -- that will be fun!

CorranHorn187 -- I'm glad you're enjoying the series and satisfied with BP. Thank you for dropping a note!

Thanks for the plug about the FIREBIRD books, Kadue :) (So is there a way to do a smiley with curly hair?)

Kathy

2. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Kathy -

Woah. Haven't been to the thread in a while - glad to see its still active!

I have some more Mara Jade questions: :)

What was the hardest part about writing Mara Jade? (besides upsetting the fans)

How much contact did you have with Timothy Zahn? Did you have much revamping of Mara scenes that he didn't approve of (or was it like that?)?

What mental image of Mara do you have? Who portrays Mara in your mind? Shannon Baksa, a comic book image, other?

What do you like about Mara Jade?

-Maz

3. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Mazzic --

The hardest part about writing Mara Jade? Getting just the right balance of attitude and heart, and keeping her consistently competent.

Tim & I spoke by phone, and then he read the scenes. Evidently we agree fairly well on her characterization, because he didn't ask for significant changes. I was particularly concerned about having her retreat from NA in the tunnels, but he agreed she would do it to protect two other lives, even if it galled her.

Mental image? Slender and strong. She has a DANCER'S figure without the . . . er . . . exaggerations I've seen in some places. Attractive face and absolutely stunning red-gold hair. I also imagine very expressive, intelligent eyes that sometimes look hard or hostile, although I believe they've softened over the last few years. They hide a lot of pain that she only shows when she's with someone she absolutely trusts, and Mara Jade's trust is not easily won.

I like many things about her. I tried to write them into BP.

Kathy

xezene likes this.
  4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Hey, Kathy, thanks for answering my post. Again, let me clarify that I didn't mean that in any negative way, really, about your books slowing down.

And in my opinion, the political maneuvering of Truce at Bakura was, if not, "great" then at least, "extremely good" literature. ;)

5. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    No characters from the droids cartoon series

I was greatly disappointed. :(

Otherwise the book rocked!!!

6. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Thank you Kathy for responding. Once again, I would ask if you would mind if I included your response on my Mara Jade website "Jade Crusades 2.0"?

We share a similar view concerning Mara. I think Mara's dancer's body is the most prominate feature about her.

Once again, some more questions. Would you mind answering these other Mara Jade questions to the best of your ability?

-What do you picture Mara Jade like as a teenager and as the Emperor's Hand?
    -Did she undergo ruthless training sessions?
    -Did she enjoy what she did, or was it all done through blind loyalty? Did the Emperor himself train Mara, or was in only other servants of the Empire?
    -Where do you think Mara stayed in the Imperial Palace? Near Palpatine's Royal Quarters?
    -Do you think Mara ever ran into Princess Leia when she visited Coruscant with Bail? What about Guri? Xizor? Fett?

One other thing. I am currently in the process of producing my own Mara Jade photoshoot, portraying a younger Mara, about 16 years old, still in the service of the Empire. I was wondering if you would be interested in checking out my thread in the Fan Art forum, and tell me what you think? Any help would be great - Thanks.

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1980291

-Maz

7. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    "Mental image? Slender and strong. She has a DANCER'S figure without the . . . er . . . exaggerations I've seen in some places."

I have a sneaking suspicion this is a reference to the Tales comics. Am I correct?

8. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Rogue 1 1/2 -- That's frightfully nice. Tx.

LawgSkrak -- Mea culpa, I'm sorry, forgive me . . . otherwise, bless you.

Mazzic -- Yes, you may post that response.

You're asking questions that I would want to consider at length before answering, and at the moment I'm working on a couple of non-SW story ideas, so I'm kind of distracted! Best of luck with your photo shoot, though.

skawookiee -- No particular comics, but I do believe you get my drift.

Kathy

9. virtue1st

virtue1st Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 13, 1998
    Hi there, Kathy. I just wanted to quickly say that I loved Balance Point. The hectic schedule of the real world over the past few months had prevented me from sitting down and reading the novel up until a few days ago, but I finally got the chance to do so, and you can safely know that you have yet another satisfied reader. My absolute favorite thing in the whole book was the portrayal of Mara (one of my top characters) and her reaction to her son - especially how she couldn't refer to her child as an "it", but rather as a "him". Great work, great message, and great entertainment all-around. Thanks for the wonderful read, & God bless.

Better late than never,

Brian

10. Austin_Solo

Austin_Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2000
    Here's a question . . .

What was YOUR favorite part in BP? :)

11. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Just curious, but did you try to write Anakin as being a little arrogant, or is it just me reading what I want to read?

12. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    virtue 1st -- Thank you! I'm glad your schedule freed up a bit, since I know what that can be like. Thanks also for the kind words concerning Mara.

Austin_Solo -- Chapter 9. ;)

Gandolf tG -- Anakin, arrogant? I'd call him self-assured with a touch of imagined invulnerability. Many young people -- including myself, a few years back -- feel that way.

Kathy

13. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Hi Kathy. I loved great BP, it was great. I have a few questions:

1) What is your favorite non-SW book? (mine is 'Watchers' by Dean Koontz)

2) What is your favorite SW book or series?

3) This is a tough one: which of your novels are you most pleased with.

4) Will you be writing anymore SW books.

I'm sorry if you have already answered these questions. I'm afraid I haven't had time to look through all of the posts in this thread yet. If you have already answered them, then don't bother doing so again for my benefit. I'll get round to reading them all someday.

Thanks. :D

14. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Pssst Kathy I know this isn't the thread for it but I hope you'll forgive me if I ask you a question about a Non-BP topic....

What ever happened to Tinian and Daye?

I was re-reading my old adventure journals and the question popped up where she is in NJO so please please do enlighten me.

she was one of my favorite non-mains and I hope she shows up!

15. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Jedi Padawan star 4

May 15, 1999
    Ooops a nother more private question.

Did you ever read the Corellian Trilogy and if so what did you think of Gariel and what happened to her....

I thought it was very sad and I was actually hoping Luke and G would resume their relationship when I first read their re-meeting.

Err...if you haven't read it please forgive my spoiling.

(Luke adopting a daughter would have been fun)

16. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    barnsthefatjedi -- Thank you!
    1) Assuming you're limiting the question to fiction: LORD OF THE RINGS
    2) Too many to name, and I don't want to exclude any other authors
    3) CROWN OF FIRE
    4) I haven't been asked. ;)

Charlemagne19 --
    I never wrote a final installment of their story, but you may have noticed that in BP they have a son, Tam. You may conclude whatever's appropriate. I'm glad you like them!

Charlemagne -- Don't worry, that wasn't a spoiler. Roger asked my permission, and I gave it. I agree; Luke would have been a great father for an adopted daughter.

Kathy

17. Charlemagne

May 15, 1999
    Well please do write that!

It may be a shame the adventure journals closed down but enquiring minds want to know!

:)

Gotcha Kathy, Poor Gariel

18. womp_rat208

womp_rat208 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    Yeah, I'd like to see Tinian and Daye's story too. Hmm. FanFic board? J/K, that'd probably break some kind of contract agreement. Then again, I know nothing about profesinal writing. Other than you have to spell better than I do. ;)

Well, I had another question, but I forgot it. I'll remember it tomorrow, and then forget it when I get online tomorrow night. And then the cycle repeats.

19. Ben_Solo

Ben_Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2001
    [EDIT]Let's treat our VIP's a little more kindly and give them the courtesy to explain why we do not like their work, okay?

20. Charlemagne

May 15, 1999
    now that was uncalled for.

Hey Kathy have you ever considered what happened to the Ssiruuks after they got trounced?

Think any religeon changes are ahead for them?

21. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Thanks jedimasterED.

22. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Does the public want to know what the un-edited stuff on this page was? Anyway, I'm suprised that Kathy is still slumming around here. But as she is, I'd like to ask a favor. Kathy, would you go to the link in my sig and check out the writing so far? I'd like to know if you would make any major changes. I don't really expect you to, but thanks anyway.

23. Asyr Handor

Asyr Handor Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 1999
    I have a quick question for you.... (and this may have been asked before, I don't know. Sorry I didn't read all 1000 something posts before this. :))
    Anyway, did you write two scenes with Han and Leia that you later cut out of BP? One which he saw her after they got out of contamination and one in which he went back to see her once she was on the Falcon at the end of the book. Thanks.

24. drfc

drfc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2000
    Havent been in the litreture forum in ages,

Any way first of Congratulations on another
    great book.I think it was good to see a section of the book go back to the classic star wars storyline with the heroes being in the same place(for a while).The NJO just keeps getting better and better.
    I have a few questions I hope you can answer,

No.1: Would you consider writing a book set in the prequals era?

No.2: Who is your favourite character in the expanded universe.

No.3: Did you create Tinian from your bossk story or did someone else?

Oh yeah,your FIREBIRD series rock too.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
    Aidan.

25. drfc

drfc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2000
    Havent been in the litreture forum in ages,

Any way first of Congratulations on another
    great book.I think it was good to see a section of the book go back to the classic star wars storyline with the heroes being in the same place(for a while).The NJO just keeps getting better and better.
    I have a few questions I hope you can answer,

No.1: Would you consider writing a book set in the prequals era?

No.2: Who is your favourite character in the expanded universe.

No.3: Did you create Tinian from your bossk story or did someone else?

Oh yeah,your FIREBIRD series rock too.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
    Aidan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.