Rewatch Discuss/Regrade the Episode: S03E15: Overlords

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Seerow, Jul 10, 2013.

?

Grade the first part of the controversial Mortis arc!

1/10 2 vote(s) 10.0%
2/10 1 vote(s) 5.0%
3/10 0 vote(s) 0.0%
4/10 0 vote(s) 0.0%
5/10 0 vote(s) 0.0%
6/10 1 vote(s) 5.0%
7/10 3 vote(s) 15.0%
8/10 1 vote(s) 5.0%
9/10 4 vote(s) 20.0%
10/10 8 vote(s) 40.0%
  1. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    ==Episode 3.15 // Overlords==
    Mortis part 1

[IMG]
    "Balance is found in the one who faces his guilt."

A mysterious force draws Anakin, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka to a distant planet, and its inhabitants -- a family of exceptionally powerful Force-wielders -- in an attempt to determine whether Anakin is truly the Chosen One. The patriarch of this family, known only as the Father, has spent ages maintaining the balance between his Daughter, who is strong with the light side of the Force, and his Son, who aligns with the dark. The Father reveals his days are numbered, and he seeks Anakin to take his place as the fulcrum of this balance. A series of tests proves that Anakin is capable of controlling both offspring, as the Father does, but Skywalker refuses to take the Father's place.

http://starwars.com/explore/the-clone-wars/ep315#!/about

Now that you've rewatch the episode lets regrade it. Feel free to discuss as much as you like.
  2. KED12345 Force Ghost

star 4
    One of my favorites. I still remember seeing Qui-Gon with Liam Neeson's voice pop up on the TV screen, was quite a shock!
    AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
  4. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
    One of my favourite episodes of TCW 10/10

( accidentally voted 1/10 since apparently 1/10 is at the top now instead of the bottom )
    Last edited by Legolas Skywalker, Jul 10, 2013
  5. Jordan1Kenobi Host of EUC Battle of... Games

Game Host
    star 5
    Tryna fool us a bit there by swapping the order of the numbers around ey? Lol.

7/10, I thought it was a pretty good episode, wasn't a big fan of the Mortis trilogy though, I thought Ghosts of Mortis let it down a bit.
  6. Circular Logic SWTV Interview Host

Game Host
    star 4
    Perhaps one of the strangest and yet most fascinating episodes in TCW, Overlords brings into focus many ideas about the concept of balance and the true nature of the Force itself. Ultimately, it raises far more questions than it provides answers. But debating these mysteries has, IMO, always been part of the fun of being a Star Wars fan.

After the trio of Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka are thrust into the bizarre, perhaps inter-dimensional world of Mortis, they embark on a mind-blowing adventure (and some might call it an acid trip when one had too many Death Sticks) where Anakin must ultimately face his destiny as the prophesied Chosen One. Upon finding that they are stranded on the planet, the three encounter the Daughter, merely the first of the three Force-wielding Ones that inhabit the mysterious world. While the Daughter is supposed to be the embodiment of the Light Side, she seems very cold and detached, far from what I imagined the Light Side itself was supposed to be like, warm and empathetic. But perhaps her demeanor is in many ways reflective of the prequel-era Jedi Order? After Anakin is separated from Obi-Wan and Ahsoka, the latter two encounter the Dark Side avatar, the Son, as menacing as one would imagine the Dark Side to be, who warns them of the approaching storm, and to seek shelter. Which brings us to one of the main themes of the episode, that of dichotomies.

Mortis itself is an extremely fascinating landscape, both beautiful and terrible. It is extremely strong in the Force, only natural considering that it houses the Ones (it is interesting to speculate on what exactly are they, perhaps ancient Celestials?). The seasons change with the hours of the day, and during daylight the planet (if you can call it that) resembles a dense, cliff-laden jungle world with numerous floating rock formations rather akin to Pandora in the film Avatar. But at nightfall the plant-life immediately die off and rain, lightning, and thunder strike a barren and desolate landscape. This is merely one in many dichotomies existing in the world of Mortis, presumably with Day corresponding to the Light and Night to the Dark. The other dichotomy immediately coming to mind is that of creation versus destruction; when day breaks, the planet life immediately return, and life appears to flourish, at night, they die off, and thus what follows is a cycle of both creation and destruction, birth and death. Or so it is explained by the Father, the patriarch of the Ones, to Anakin when the latter finds him in the monastery. The scenery was definitely one of many highlights of the episode.

This episode had many notable and memorable scenes. Perhaps first and foremost was the return of Qui-Gon Jinn, who appears to Obi-Wan in Force Ghost form, in an apparent vision. It was wonderful seeing Kenobi's old Master again and hearing Liam Neeson's voice once more, if only for this brief cameo. Then you have Ahsoka seeing a vision of her future self, warning her that if she stayed Anakin's pupil, that she would never see her future. Quite a prophetic scene now that we know what happens to her in The Wrong Jedi and of course, Anakin's turn during the events of RotS. Meanwhile, as a guest in the Father's monastery, Anakin encounters a vision of his mother Shmi, and is forced to verbalize his guilt and pain at being unable to save his mother, and slaughtering the Tuskens in anger over her death. Great to hear Pernilla August voicing Shmi again. However, Shmi is quickly revealed to be the Son in disguise, warning Anakin that Padmé is "a poisoner" and that he is Anakin's "fate", a hint at his eventual fall to darkness...

When Anakin questions the Father about his identity, the Father reveals the nature of the planet and his purpose for bringing Anakin here; to determine whether or not he is the Chosen One of prophecy. I was impressed by the scene where he uses his hand to extinguish Anakin's lightsaber blade, proving that he was on another plane in terms of Force ability to mere Jedi (and I know that the EU has shown exceptionally powerful Jedi like Satele Shan to be capable of this as well). Apparently, only the Chosen One can bring balance to Mortis by keeping both of his children in check, in harmony. Mortis is both an anchor, a powerful conduit of the Force, and a prison by which the three exceptionally potent Force Wielders could keep their powers separate from the rest of the galaxy. The Father then notes a rather controversial view of the Force; that too much Light or too much Dark is dangerous to the galaxy, and thus they have to remain in meticulous balance. This conflicts with the view the films seem to take that only the unnatural growth of the Dark Side was bad for the galaxy, and nothing terrible seemed to occur when the galaxy was dominated by the Light-Sided Jedi with barely two Sith at a time...But this idea is very much debatable.

To determine whether Anakin really is the Chosen One, the Father proposes a test. He has his children kidnap Obi-Wan and Ahsoka, taking them to a large arena from which a conspicuous yin-yang symbol is inscribed, symbolizing the 'balance' between Light and Dark. Anakin is then given a choice; save one while the other dies. Tapping into the tremendous Force energies of the planet, Anakin finds that he is able to save both from the Son and the Daughter, and then literally bring the two down on their knees. Hence, he passed the Father's test and proved that he was the Chosen One. Then, adding to the bizarreness, the Father reveals that he is dying and that Anakin must take his place in order to keep the Son and the Daughter in harmony. Anakin, of course, chooses to leave, but seems to further contemplate the Father's warning that choosing the selfish path and leaving would endanger the galaxy...

So in conclusion, Overlords was a fascinating episode marked with many bizarre twists and turns that seemed to bring to light certain esoteric aspects of the Force, yet made little effort to give us any concrete answers, thus preserving the mysterious nature of the Force, that mortal minds cannot hope to fully comprehend. Excellent cameos by Neeson and August, and a great introduction to the concept of extraordinarily ancient and powerful beings like the Ones, perhaps a sci-fi fantasy trope but one that I appreciate greatly. Great episode, and one that could easily have worked as a standalone, but admittedly kept many of us wanting more. I gave this a 10/10, rounded up.
    Last edited by Circular_Logic, Jul 11, 2013
  7. Nexumaster Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah; seems like @Seerow pulled a fast one. :p
    Last edited by Nexumaster, Jul 11, 2013
  8. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
  9. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    But intoxication makes the Son's eyes look sooooo pretty...

Oh wait a minute...
  10. Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Master

star 1
    I loved this episode because it was extremely character focused, especially since it showcased the fact that Ahsoka (as far as we knew at the time) was really not going to have a happy ending. Where the rest of the arc lost its **** and revolved around contrived plot devices and characters with designs that wouldn't be out of place in MMPR, Overlords locked onto the series' three main players and gave us a nice peek at where they were heading at the time. It reinforced in my mind that this series (though it certainly doesn't always succeed at it) is intended to play a role in a larger saga, which was a very refreshing idea given the otherwise one-off-and-done aspect of most episodes.

9/10
    (...but don't get me started on the other two parts of Mortis though. Visually impressive, but otherwise terrible.)
  11. KenobiSkywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    On the one hand, I liked the character interaction between the big 3... On the other...
    [IMG]

That and the whole ying-yang 'light can't exist without dark' doesn't really seem to fit how things are explained in the movies, IMO.
  12. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    I love this episode.

10/10
    AkashKedavra_93 and cwustudent like this.
  13. JackG Force Ghost

star 4
    [IMG]
    What have you done with CT?
  14. swcolts1277 Jedi Master

star 2
    Amazing, mindblowing episode. Only downside to it was I wish Lucasfilm hadn't teased Liam Neeson and Pernilla August reprising their roles. 9/10