main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Discussion/Critique of the art within Marvel comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jamminjedi23, Nov 24, 2017.

1. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    Gerads would be amazing, though he kinda seems wedded to Tom King at the moment.

vncredleader likes this.
  2. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah Tom did hint on twitter that he has Gerads locked up in his basement so he can't work with anyone else

3. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    The tracing bothers me to no end. I really wanted to get a few extra comics, and glue them onto a bookshelf. (My girlfriend did this with normal Marvel superheros, especially her faves like Hawkeye) However, the tracing just looks so awful, and makes me almost want to stop subscribing to some series. It makes re-reading them so much harder too. I would honestly prefer not perfect art, or even waiting, to tracing. Especially if only some stuff is traced, it sticks out and looks awful.

4. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Tristan Jones is a favourite of mine that hasn't worked on a Star Wars comic. He recently did Aliens: Defiance for Dark Horse, and I highly recommend that series to any Alien fans here. He has a very interesting style that differs from other Star Wars comic, be it Legends or canon. And no, Tristan doesn't trace. Here are some examples of his art:
    From Aliens: Defiance
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pencils & inks only
    [​IMG]
    He's done some Star Wars stuff, but as far as I know it's not official:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can check out more of his stuff on DeviantArt:
    https://t-rexjones.deviantart.com

5. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    I made this for a different thread and have been looking for opportunity's to justify the wasted time. Btw I'm not defending the panels. I just thought you might be interested.
    [​IMG]

6. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    All of Larroca's issues should have this kind of 'how to read' guide...

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This is an important point. The comics industry has a terrible record in this respect and once you're out of favour, you're pretty much stuffed if you only do comics.

I can throw a whole lot of charges at Marvel, but hiring amateurs isn't one of them. Running their pros so ragged they make basic errors for speed? Oh yes. Think of your own day job, no matter how good you are it - hell, you can be "the best there is at I do" - doing it all faster will hit the quality of your output. There's a lot of truth to the line: Do you want it fast or do you want it good? (More seriously, see the project management triangle.)

One thing you overlook her Spicer: Do they have the script? Because no script = nothing for the penciler to work with. Now, it is all scheduling, as they're clearly allowing x time for art after getting the script ahead of publication.

Master_Lok likes this.
  8. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    One of my favorite less conventional artists is Gabriel Hardman. One of the best parts of Legacy II. (And I have started reading Invisible Republic)
    [​IMG]

9. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I loved Hardman's art in Legacy II, I should definitely check out Invisible Republic! BTW, I believe that the art you posted is by Brian Thies, not Hardman (he switched art duties with Hardman on Legacy II).

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You really should, it's fantastic.

Also, Green Lantern: Earth One is out next year. I normally wouldn't care about this except the creative team? Bechko-Hardman.

spicer likes this.
  11. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I miss Brian Ching :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Definitely one of the best SW artist from the DH era. In fact, I still consider him as one of the best SW comic artists overall. He worked on some of the most impactful SW comics and has an unmistakable style.

Marvel, might I suggest hiring Ching for some of your upcoming SW comics ;)

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Looks like these days Ching is at DC.

14. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Doesn't mean that he won't be available in the foreseeable future :)

15. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
  16. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Best Jedi character ever!

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  17. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Eh that's cool thanks!

But even needing some kind of guide to explain what is going on on a friggin comic book... it speaks for itself.

Jedi Ben, Vialco and Ewan Tibbetts like this.
  18. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    An interesting thing just happened in the latest issue of Jedi of the Republic - Mace Windu, as the artwork duties were split between Denys Cowan (the one who did the art in the previous three issues) and Edgar Salazar. If I'm not mistaken, this is the first single SW comic issue to have the artwork done by two artists (the last one was Dark Times: Vector part 2 way back in 2008 IIRC). And IMO, it worked well. I didn't like the art at all in the previous three issues, but in this one, I think it's genuinely good, especially the one by Salazar. The artwork by Cowan is also somewhat better in comparison to that of the previous issues in this mini.

I salute this decision by Marvel! If some artists can't keep up with the schedule for whatever reason, or feel the quality of the art would be compromised because of the schedule, don't be afraid to have two artists work on a single issue. Mace Windu #4 is proof of this - Marvel hired a new artist for the SW comics (and, judging from his work here, a good artist!), and Cowan's artwork, at least in my eyes, got better too, if only slightly.

Senpezeco likes this.
  19. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    How interesting! Screaming Citadel had 3 artists working on it for the 5 issues, but this sounds much more radical. I don't collect this one (the preview art for the first issue was worst than Larroca) so how is the division done, first half and then second half, or is it more random?

20. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I think I would die if Fiona Staples got her fingers on a Star Wars mini series. I know that she wouldn’t be able to do a long run on a recurring series with her Saga duties but if she got something along the lines of a 5 or 6 issue mini...my goodness my face would melt. Just imagine the alien bliss we would be treated to.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

21. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I wouldn't mind her doing a gritty Noob-esque mini-series centered on stormtroopers.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    spicer That happened in Shattered Empire as well- issues 2 and 3. Number 2 actually had 3 artists. But like you said, I imagine it happened so Checchetto had more time to ensure issues 1 and 4 were up to his usual standards. I'd wager he didn't have to share the load on Captain Phasma due to more lead time to draw.

spicer likes this.
  23. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Right, I forgot about Shattered Empire.
    There are flashback parts of the story drawn by Salazar, and the parts set in the "present" are by Cowan.

redxavier likes this.
  24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Staples, Chip Zdarsky, and Pia Guerra would all be interesting artistic choices.

Dave McKean would do great stuff, but I can easily imagine a ton of young Marvel fanboys unused to reading anything without superheroes punching each other getting really angry at his style.

Darth_Duck and Jedi Ben like this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What's Pia Guerra doing these days? Met her several years back when she was on Y.