main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Discussion of the Emperor's excavation on Jakku and what it could mean for VIII-IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ender_and_Bean, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002

Hmmm. Interesting. That could fit with with what's happening to the dead-Enders. Given that we know aspects of Kylo Ren have been built up from the Jacen Solo idea of a son of Solo turning Dark it wouldn't at all surprise me if most of the writers, Ardnt, Abrams , and Johnson included, sat down with the Story Group during preliminary planning and asked them a simple question. "What in your opinions are the most interesting characters, storylines and settings that have remained exclusive to the EU that could potentially be re-worked or blended into the new saga?" Jacen Solo would have then came up and they tweaked the concept just enough. Other ideas may also be re-worked that have always compelled.

I think we're going to get the most mystical and high fantasy-driven Star Wars film yet in VIII.

2. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    well, we know that Snoke isn't a Sith. We know that the Whills may play some role in ST too, since TFA novelization begins with the excerpt from their journal and they are mentioned in Rogue One. We know from Life Debt that Palpatine says "Jakku was important 1000 years ago and will be again". 1000 years ago corresponds with the time when the Sith was defeated. Yet there's no Sith in TFA as per Pablo Hidalgo so it looks like Anakin/Vader did destroy them all and we are dealing with different type of Dark Siders this time.

Fortunately, Empire's End is coming out in February so we should know more, though I doubt it that there will be any major reveals. That'll be left for the movies (Snoke's origins, for example, I don't think he's Gallius Rax because such reveals are for all GA, not just most faithful fans who'd read the books).

Ender_and_Bean and Lord Nikon like this.
  3. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    Hidalgo did say "no Sith in TFA".

But he didn't say no Sith in the ST.

He's very careful about his words. I'd not be surprised to see a Sith in EpVIII or IX.

4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The ST is basically all about the legacy of the CT. The First Order is inspired by The Empire, but it's not the Empire. It wants to be even better. And Kylo is inspired by the Sith, but he's not a Sith. He's just a dark side user. If Jakku had an Empire/Sith lab of some sort that could help them dominate the galaxy, sure, the First Order would use it. They'd see it as "finishing what they started".

5. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I did a little digging last night and was reminded that Rian Johnson had to tweak his story for VIII and IX slightly after JJ decided that it would be a missed opportunity to have the big 3 back and not have them play bigger roles than how Ardnt had originally envisioned. Johnson had apparently built much of his original story off of what Ardnt had been working on and back then there was less Leia and Han and more Rey actively searching for the map.

It sounded to me that the plan was for the Knights of Ren to be actively destroying Jedi artifacts. Which may have also been part of the reason Luke remains at the first temple, beyond his own quest for knowledge. Originally, Rey was to somehow learn that the map to the last temple was hidden within the Emperor's chambers and that part of the Death Star 2 had survived total destruction and fallen into the ocean. There was originally going to be a water scene where she emerges within the Emperor's chambers and found secrets, including the map to the first Jedi temple. Even though this idea was (wisely) revised into something else I can't help but wonder if the idea of being around the Emperor's secrets (potentially with some other old relics) beyond just the map itself was a significant plot element that Rian Johnson was going to build off of. Because that didn't happen in TFA and the story evolved I wonder if some of those early ideas may been reworked into these new underground chambers on Jakku and into VIII or IX.

Mungo Baobab and Lord Nikon like this.
  6. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    Honestly all this stuff about finding various places and artefacts based on Jedi lore sounds like it could make for a fascinating movie for me and I would like the whole film to be about that but it still will have to be a regular Star Wars film featuring battles and stuff and given the run time there's only so much a film can do. They need to plan what they show and do carefully. Really I could take a whole book or comic series about someone searching for Jedi or Sith or both lore both in a pre-TPM era, post ROS era and then in a post-ROTJ era. Make more stories about people like Palpatine searching for Sith knowledge or Lor San Tekka and his search for Jedi lore and how he remained hidden for so long and also us seeing Luke's journey to finding more Jedi lore and eventually ending up where he does.

It's part of why I want to see maybe the Obi-Wan spin off detailing stuff like how he goes on his journey to discovering life after physical death. Some could say that robs mystique but there's always bound to be some kind of unforseen knowledge we dig up eventually. We discover one mystery or become close to doing so we discover another. I want to see Luke or someone else connecting with other Force beings like the Bendu and the Priestesses or learn about Mortis. I know that became one of the last things discussed in the EU with Luke and Jaina before Disney's buyout caused them to put a hault on that story. There's also the idea of whether or not the Shaman of the Whills is definitely for sure cannon and taught Qui-Gon how to become a Force Ghost or was one of his teachers maybe he found him first and it was he who directed him to the Priestesses. There's still a cannon page for the Shaman on Wookieepedia as well as the Journal of the Whills which is cannon because of the TFA novel and there's the Guardians of the Whills only the Ancient Order is said to be non-cannon. Considering the idea has been mentioned and it was an idea originally from Lucas I think the Shaman could still have a chance of existing. After all the Church of the Force was supposedly an idea for Star Wars Underworld and they've already taken a lot of EU elements. Really it's taking the best elements which ones make sense or ones they think could easily make sense if changed to fit the cannon logic.

We may get Luke and Rey training obviously but a lot of the film could be them seeking knowledge. Maybe they go to these various areas? The ruins of Jedha or they return to Jakku and find out why it was important. Maybe they visit some Sith worlds to learn some Sith history to better understand the Dark Side and its here where Rey gets her moment in the cave from Empire Strikes Back where she sees something horrific and that's what compels them to go back to their friends. But I wouldn't also have a problem with maybe Snoke and Kylo seeking knowledge and their training. I know Kylo is the villain and still has that role to play but Snoke seems to indicate in the ending of TFA that his continuing training would be a big deal and it'd kind of suck if we skipped that. Seeing the parallel training of the light side training and dark side training throughout the film could make for something unique and it's a theory I remember reading awhile back that someone proposed and I agree.

They could visit Malachor or maybe Morraband/Korriban. It'd be funny to see Luke encounter the spector of Darth Bane if Mark does the voice again.

Maybe we get a glimpse of a cannon Revan? (I have the feeling he'll be the next Legends character cannonised now that Thrawn has been. He's too popular not to be not to mention there was a big push for his Black Series figure. The Story Group are probably working on a way to do so right now and are just waiting to reveal him in a big way like they did Thrawn)

It's also been said that Vader's home on Mustafar from Rogue One still could play a role in the future so maybe Luke and Rey go there or Snoke and Kylo go there. Kylo I could see wanting to visit there given how obssesed he is with Vader's legacies.

It's all cool stuff and I'm interested in seeing this stuff going forward be it in the new trilogy or in cannon material like novels, comics or Star Wars Rebels.

7. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    Dude you should change your handle to "WallOfText". LOL no offence, but holy crap man.

8. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    There's another very small detail in the Lando comic that may mean nothing at all, but is interesting in context of some of the religious iconography that that they've applied to Jakku. It seems that the Sith masks onboard the Imperialis are all the work of Lord Momin. Momin means 'one who believes in God' in Urdu. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momin

[​IMG]

We also have anchorite Kolob on Jakku ( Kolob said to be the planet nearest the throne of God in Mormon scripture https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolob ), the anchorites themselves, and The Sitter, who seems likely to be a GGFA representation of a Stylite https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stylite .

I don't know if this is evidence that there's a link between Palpatine's Sith hoard and Jakku, but they've certainly been seeding these kind of references into the books and comics recently.

Edit: Sith masks also make an appearance in Aftermath:

"Tashu, having arrived late wearing a strange red metal mask, one that appeared quite demonic, spins the mask (now facedown on the table) with his hand. “Do not worry, Moff Pandion. My technique takes time, but I have been trained by the best. The ancient Sith art of —”

9. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

Technically that's not true, there was a Sith Lord in TFA in the form of Vader, the helmet pretty much is the Dark Side of Anakin that was Vader and it was the Sith Lord Darth Vader who Kylo spoke to. PH is cryptic in his posts and some are deliberately vague for obvious reasons, but for the most he's non-committal on just about anything.

10. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    There is something very big going on in the GFFA beyond what we saw in TFA.

11. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I suppose we may find out why "Everyone wants to go back to Jakku". Will we see Jakku again? If something's there important to the plot, I suspect we will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oncafar likes this.
  12. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    In the third and final Aftermath book we will hopefully come to see why Gallius Rax has set up so much death and desrtruction on Jakku. Is it an offering to a Dark Lord buried below the planet that Rax and the Emperor have been studying who will grow powerful from the sacrifice of so much death near him? Is that what leads to the rise of Snoke to inherit all that Rax has set up?

13. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    finn should be the one who gets the privilege of going back to jakku to excavate :p

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Every time I see a thread like this it reminds me of why I don't bother buying those new canon novels.

15. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I can't wait to find out what has Palpatine's attention on Jakku. It has to be pretty darn important.