main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[DISCUSSION] Polls in the JCC: Are they getting to be too much?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by PrincessKenobi , Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Now that's just plain bizarre, horsey. He's trying to involve everyone, because he's the one who gets to post the polls (because he, and only he, asked us) and they're generally supposed to be for the whole forum (despite some audience-limiting questions like the hat one). I say that's community involvement, which is the whole point of the damn thing, and you say he's simply not doing his job. o_O If anything, and others in this thread seem to think the same, there isn't enough outside involvement.
    Very weird comparison. Especially since I knew a game host or two who occasionally asked for similar input. It wasn't the actual trivia questions or anything, but it's not like that's even comparable.

Which is why, with the lack of user suggestions, we probably should, at least for the time being, go back to mod-reviewing the polls he PMs us in advance.

Yes, you could say that then we might just as well post them ourselves, but... why? Because Tunick in red is... what exactly? Annoying? Well, excuse me, but I don't care.

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, to be fair, many game hosts ask for suggestions to improve their games, and Tunick's asking for suggestions is basically along the same lines, since he's trying to get topics that more people are interested in. That said, the topics could use a lot of improvement and more thought put into them.

I think its a good idea that has been perhaps mediocre in practice, at least so far.

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    And that's the thing. 'Encouraged' doesn't work on the JCC. The place almost seems to react against that which is encouraged. In one or two polls you may get a difference, but as time passes things will degenerate once more. Thus, the only way to properly attack the lack of discussion in polls is to do what I've said in my previous two posts in this thread... make them occasional / irregular... only deployed when something genuinely warrants one. THe content and design will improve them, not 'encouragement' from the mods and the more talkative JCCers.

4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I was wondering if I was just being grump (big possibility right now) so I decided to do some research and get some data.

The average vote for polls is 66 votes.
    The highest was 122 and the low 27

Tunick has 20 polls that are below average and 18 that are above average.

In the first 10 polls, 9 are above average and 1 is below average.

In the second and third 10 polls, 3 are above average and 7 are below average.

In the last 8 polls, 3 are above average and 5 are below average.

Its 50/50 as far as being above or below for the 4 suggestions from other users.

The topics at the beginning were more inclusive. Became more US oriented in the last 20 polls.

Tunick used to post more than "Enjoy" and it didn't seem to help facilitate discussion. (Though I personally liked the cute sayings he used to post). The most I saw was 5 pages of discussion.

The data doesn't mean that the poll topics are worse than before. It could mean people just don't want to participate in polls anymore. It could mean we have a lot less users than we used to.

5. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Whoa now, you don't do that? Well I was a plum sucker back when I 'took over' this thing, wasn't I! :p That was put in place because I wanted Tunick to come up with at least 2-3 ideas and we'd whittle them down to something postable. That was the 'process'.

1. The Polls Themselves: Yeah, they're kinda bleh now. But at the same time, I think it's maybe because they're tame topics. A bit of spark - world events, even movies (TRANSFORMERS ROO) would bring that back a bit. And when I say World Events, I mean it. The Obama Excitement is great, because it IS world wide, but there are many many other things going on in the world that could be addressed and could be used as fodder. The JCCHAT one was pretty...well, crap. Sorry, Tunick.

2. The Red: Eh, look. I agree that you gotta be doing something to get that colour, or at least you had to have done something in the past. It was originally given to him because he was a host, and then when we figured out the logistics of him actually posting a poll and it being moved etc, it became more applicable because he was doing something. It was a delegation thing as well. I certainly didn't want to be making/fielding poll ideas every week. :p Game hosts get red. It seemed to me at the time that giving Tunick colours for being in charge of something was correct. It was pointed out to me many times by other users that I was incorrect. *shrugs* But if we make Tunick 'work' for them now, would that change anything?

3. Other, my dear Everton: The 'Other' option is a cop out. I also liked it better when Tunick wrote a little comment underneath, other than ENJOY. If people want better topics, then they should suggest them, definitely, but Tunick, you should also be using your news-nerdiness for this kind of thing too.

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Given the very existence of this thread/the discussion that has been had, I realize/know to do better with my polls, and I will try my damnedest. And, Lisa, I like you, you're a great e-pal/presence here on the boards, but this whole "I don't work....." thing as it relates to my VIPship bugs me just a little. Why? This is the internet, not serious business/actual work. What we all do, even all past/current games hosts doesn't require that much work. Depending on the game (JCC Squares, JC Idol comes to mind), things are done that take time, but they are not hard things to do (or else why would the game host do it the in first place?). It's not like we're all working the State Department here, and one of us got a flimsy promotion to be 2nd in command under Hillary.

2. The Red: Eh, look. I agree that you gotta be doing something to get that colour, or at least you had to have done something in the past. It was originally given to him because he was a host, and then when we figured out the logistics of him actually posting a poll and it being moved etc, it became more applicable because he was doing something. It was a delegation thing as well. I certainly didn't want to be making/fielding poll ideas every week. tongue Game hosts get red. It seemed to me at the time that giving Tunick colours for being in charge of something was correct. It was pointed out to me many times by other users that I was incorrect. *shrugs* But if we make Tunick 'work' for them now, would that change anything?

Hell, I would have no problem in switching my VIP colors. I can go all black or blue.
    :p

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Maybe black posting text? :p

Actually, some hostships require a heck of a lot of work. Whether this does or not, if a regular user posts the polls, he/she has to be a VIP if they're posted in C&G and moved over. However, if it's an issue, WNU has the poll function turned on and they can be moved from there as well.

8. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I don't really think it's that big of a deal. As long as a group of users enjoys them, and there's somebody like Tunick willing to facilitate them, I don't see why we should cut them out.

That said, I think that there's a lot of unrealized potential here. These polls could be a great, community building event in the JCC. I think that it's on the mods to decide if they want to put the time in necessary to make that happen, and to do so. Better topics would be a great start for this. Also, maybe make them every two weeks instead of every week? May help with interest and topic selection a bit...

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Maybe black posting text?

NO!

10. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Oh, Jess. There's so much potential with that next Transformers movie coming out. Won't it be great to not be mods for that? :)

Yeah, if you guys aren't getting more than one or two ideas (not enough to pass before TJCC), then maybe it warrants going to more irregularity. (Not that this is that big a deal, I don't see the real need for any action at all, really. There are certainly worse situations the JCC could be in.)

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Everton's idea on that is a good one, but, I could always rotate the polls (one week serious, the next silly, etc), and considering politics/current events, it's not like there won't be things that I could do a poll on.

12. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Just so people don't think I ignored Tunick, I sent him a PM answering his q's. :)

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Rhonda... will you come back and fix the JCC... PLEASE???

Oh, and bring Kate with you... thanks. @};-

14. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Maybe you should include a link to the suggest things thread for your polls when you post them?

Because to be honest I don't usually vote in your polls because I don't find them that interesting. Also I had no idea there was even a thread to suggest things, which creates another problem.

I think the polls at this point should move to every other week or to once a month. Because you can pick a topic from the previous month in world news and get some real serious in-depth discussion going on in the JCC. Doing one every week seems a bit much.

~PK~

EDIT: And Rhonda you need to come back the JCC needs you and I miss you. And I also agree with Harps you need to bring Kate back with you too!!

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Malkie would be a good addition too... he's a hard ass, as well as a pain in the ass ( [face_love] ) but he could bring the sexy back to the JCC... the place is on life support... we need a strong mod team to bring it back to life, and we simply do not have that at the monment (I give GIMER credit though... he's most definitely a step in the right direction).

16. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I agree completely with Harps on this issue and we need gabe to while we're at it too.

~PK~

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Once a month is too much of a gap, in my opinion. Though I'm not sold on it yet, a bi-weekly poll is a better idea.

18. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    And nashira to finish the set! :p

19. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    QFT

20. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    My belief is that a simple "make them on the need for them" is the best way to go.

If a couple things happen in the community, or a couple of things happen around the world that warrant the creation of a JCC Poll, then make a couple in a short period of time. If not, don't feel forced to make a poll just because it's time for one. The two "bad" things that could happen here are:

1) Making a poll because it's time to make a poll, and leaving it completely lackluster

2) Not making a poll because it's not time to make a poll, and missing out on a chance for a good poll that could actually impact the community and drive discussion and community building.

21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Mr. Forum Feud is correct, I believe.

22. MaidenLumpe

MaidenLumpe VIP star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 13, 2000
    Agree with Inty.

However, unless there's a situation where there's really a perfect time/timely topic for a poll, I'd say don't post a new one unless the old one has been dead for at least a week (or some other predetermined period of time). If a poll is still active, or only just died, then creating a new one may be overload.

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I will take this idea under consideration.

24. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I'd add, I think I nearly always vote in the polls, although political ones I'm likely to not comment on quite as much as if its not a topic that also can fall into the Senate. I'd say they tend to be more interesting than many of the other threads that are more reliant on in groups. Though, the JCC chat poll would be an exception to that tendancy.

I do think that it might be too much to say things can be U.S. centric only insomuch as knocking a specific poll for being focused on the U.S. carries an implication that a topic is only valid if absolutely everyone would have a stance on it, and I don't think that's a realistic expectation.

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Though, the JCC chat poll would be an exception to that tendancy.

That poll was deleted, and the thread locked/moved & replaced with another poll in less than an hour!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.