main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Discussion]The *Official* HTML Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Design - Sites and Graphics' started by darth_nemisis, Aug 1, 2009.

1. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Welcome to the Fan Design - Sites and Graphics Forum Official HTML Discussion Thread.

What is HTML?
    HyperText Markup Language - HTML - is perhaps the most popular language used in the creation of web pages. There are several versions of HTML, the most recent being HTML 4.01, which is moderated by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). There will be some links later on in this post that will better explain HTML, as well as give some tutorials and other useful tools.

Purpose of this thread
    This thread is intended to spark discussion about HTML and possibly other coding languages. It is a place where you, as a user, can come in and give your own hints and tips. The biggest benefit I think this thread could have, is be a sort of Question and Answer thread where users can come in and ask questions regarding HTML and your web pages. Remember, do not be afraid to ask a question. Chances are, some other people are wondering the same thing.

Helpful Links
    -World Wide Web Consortium Homepage
    -HTML Validator - Check to see if your created website fits the current standards!
    -W3Schools.com HTML Tutorial - A great HTML tutorial. Also has other tutorials as well (Javascript, XML, php, etc)
    -HTML Wikipedia page

As a topic starter, perhaps we could talk about HTML 5.0, which is set to be the next standard in HTML. If you would like to read up on HTML 5.0, here is the wikipedia page and here is the homepage.

2. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Nemisis, would be ok for you to add a non-English html website as well? This German HTML website is really great and helped me a lot when I did html, so it would be cool to see it in the OP as well. :)

3. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    Here's the link to the official CSS validator.

CSS Validator

4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I really wish I had a basic knowledge of HTML. That way, I could improve sites that I'm working on instead of having to rely on pre-made templates.

5. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    It's really easy to learn. The big thing is to stay away from trying to do too much at first. Create some basic sites using html tutorials and then build from there. It's admirable to want to make something complex but it's more practical to start slow and improve your build as you go. Even the most complex designs are made with simple building blocks.

6. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    OK. Any good HTML tutorials to start with? :)

7. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    This is where I started a long time ago.

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutorials/getting_started/

8. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I'll take a look at that. Thanks. :D

9. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    No prob.

:)

I also recommend picking up a basic HTML book. Make sure you do the exercises in the book or on the tutorial websites.