main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DISCUSSION: The point to lighting...

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Volition, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Volition

Volition Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2003
    Really what's the point to the lighting? I always see tutorials on proper setups and rigs and lights, etc. but I've never quite figured out the need for lighting. I've only shot a couple of interior scenes from my movie so far and I've yet to really see any point to it.

Please explain and discuss, if you will, good lighting setups and configurations and how it adds to a scene if at all.

I'm curious to know.

2. JediDrew

JediDrew Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2002
    Ha..... Well..... LOTS!!!!!!!

It's really SO obvious that it's hard to explain. Like what is the point of wings on an airplane?

You may think your video looks great with just the natural lighting but if you really know what you are doing and you can light your video well, it adds SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much. It not only makes your video look nicer it makes it look more real, and more professional.

Sometimes when you are filming outside you get lucky and the sun and any other "already there" lights light your scene just great and there isn't really need to light your scene.... though... this is if you get lucky.

I don't really know what else to say... I am currentl;y in the midst of learning how to light things correctly, check my other thread I'm asking some REALLY stupid questions., I do know the purpose though.

And thats quality... not neccesarily image quality... but cinematic quality.

;)

3. floydman

floydman Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2001
    Lighting can make your or break your scene, lighting can change the mood of the scene complete and make your subjects really stand out in the scene.

hope it helps,
    floydman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.