main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon Discussion thread for OryCon 2010

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by AramysStrael, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    I just got an email from Vincent, the guy in charge of fan tables for OryCon. He was asking if we were in need of a fan table, again, this year. I told him that we would like to have a fan table again, so I have requested two tables (one for the Mercs and one for Oregon FanForce).

OryCon will be held at the same hotel, this year (Lloyd Center Double Tree), on November 12 - 14, 2010.

The Mercs will not be doing a Jail and Bail, this year, as it seems that this sort of convention isn't really conducive for that sort of fundraiser. Instead, I think we will just try to set up the jail again, and do a photo booth sort of thing, charging a donation fee, with the proceeds going to the Children's Cancer Association.

This is open to anyone and everyone. I will be there for the whole weekend (one way or another), as a Merc. But i can be on hand for OFF business, as well.

We really need to start planning on what we want at this tableto help get more exposure four our FanForce, here.

So, let the discussion commence.

- Bill

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I've had the Membership Form sitting on my desk for a whole month, yet haven't sent it in yet. :p I'll try to make it this year for as much of the convention as possible.

3. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    It would be cool to see more OFF members there. It would be a great way to do a membership drive.

4. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    But I think we need to prove that the OFF is not just the group for people too lazy to costume/who don't have the geeky passion necessary. Say I wasn't a member, and saw the table ran by costumers and one person not in costume with an OFF T-shirt. What are the incentives to joining the OFF? This is just speculation, but I think there needs to be some advertising for the fan group as well as the costumers.

5. jawafett

jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep star 3

Mar 13, 2003
    I think we need to come up with a small write up that defines our group [:D] , including some picturs of collections, books we read, comics, etc. Producing Fliers, and business cards are an expense on one person, unless we can have other members help produce them. Send me some pictures of your collection and some write up material, and I'll come up with something that will show what we are and do [face_thinking] :cool:

-Eric

6. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    I think I still have some business cards for the OFF. But yeah, I agree that we all need to put forth a group effort.

By the way, I still have OFF shirts for those members who ordered them. A couple are still not paid for, yet.(Crash and Larena, send me your addresses and I will send your shirts to you.) Now, for those who ordered and haven't paid, I need to be contacted about payment. Otherwise, I will offer them up to anyone who wants to buy them off me (and believe me, there will not be another t-shirt run, that I conduct, after all of this). I'm not too happy at putting out money, in good faith, for others, only to be shafted. It won't ever happen again.

Back to OryCon. I did ask for a power outlet. So, if someone has a laptop that they want to bring, power will be available. Eric, will we be able to use that wall panel that you built? I am looking at building another Jail for aesthetic appearance. We (the Mercs) are looking to do a photo booth, at OryCon, to raise money for the CCA. But things are kind of screwy, right now, I really don't know what is going on.

More to come, I am sure.

7. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Bill, I think it would be a good idea to use the jail set for pictures. People were interested in it last year (how often do you see a jail set-up at conventions?), and I think that some money could be raised through it.

8. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    I agree. Just as CCG used that big Tantive IV banner for their backdrop, the jail serves the same purpose for us, in that regard.

Of course, this is contingent on having a camera and laptop set up to pull it off, otherwise fundraising is a bust.

- Bill

9. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I got a laptop as a graduation gift, and I'll be at OryCon, so I could bring it to use for photos. I also have a digital camera that we could use.

10. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    Awesome... thanks!

- Bill

11. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Will there be a power socket nearby to plug the computer into as far as you know, Bill?

12. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    I had asked for a power supply for your computer, so as far as i know, we should have it.

Also, the Mercs won't be sharing the table with us. I couldn't get any kind of commitment out of any of them, and since they just wanted to milk the system, I canceled this being a Mercs event.

So we won't need a bunch of props and such. We will just have the one table for OFF recruitment. I'll still be there to help the efforts fro recruitment.

- Bill

13. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    OK. I still have to send in my membership form. [face_blush]

14. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I'm actually glad I haven't sent in my form. It sounds as if I'll be really busy the weekend of OryCon, and I won't be able to attend. I've got some important assignments to work on, and I just won't have the time to come and hang out with the OFF. I'll try to be at the Comic Book Show, though. :(

15. jawafett

Mar 13, 2003
    I'll be available to attend on Saturday 11/13 for a while.

-Eric

16. jawafett

Mar 13, 2003
    Working on write up about group, fliers, and I have business cards. Is anyone else going to show up this weekend?

17. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    I will be there the whole weekend. There has been a position change at work, that has given me the opportunity to have weekends off, so I am good.

So for those who are attending, bring any and all OFF bling for the table. I'll bring the shirts and showcase them at the table. Maybe with the sight of logoed t-shirts, we may be able to acquire new members that way. Unless it is against TFN rules, I will offer t-shirts for sell at the table for potential members - FOR COST! If allowed, we will take orders by getting email addresses and making contact with them after the convention to secure payment.

Other than that, expect to have a decent time. Our table is in the same area as it was last year. We aren't sharing table space with anyone this year, so the OFF has its own presence at this convention.

- Bill

18. jawafett

Mar 13, 2003
    Great AramysStrael, see you there Saturday.
    Anyone else planning on attending. Fan table area is a free area.

19. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    I'll be there tonight and tomorrow, for sure. Still kind of iffy on Sunday.

I do believe Matt from CCG will be there with us.

Looking forward to this weekend.

- Bill

20. jawafett

Mar 13, 2003
    Thanks AramysStrael for helping man the table and pass along our info.

I had a great time. I talked to a few interested people and hope to see them chime in and join us. I was also in the capacity of doning my ANH Han Solo to costume and participate along side my fellow Corellian Security Officer Coran Horn (AramysStrael) in the ORYCON Mascarade Costume Contest as securtiy/stage hand for the Queen's Court. Fun times.

-Eric

21. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Great! We could use some new victims . . . I mean . . . members. :p

22. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    I talked with a couple of folks, too. I know that we handed out quite a few business cards. So we are definitely getting our name out there. It, too, is my hope that we can get some new blood in this club. Not that the old blood is bad, but we have grown stagnant and we really need to revitalize the OFF!

Because Star Wars is more than just costuming, gaming, movies, cartoons, tv shows and lore. It is about a community of friends who share in the same passion that is in Star Wars. Hopefully, we will see new people join our ranks.

Like my esteemed fellow Corellian pointed out, we did participate in the Masquerade Ball... and I can tell you this: they loved us. We pretty much have an open invite to help with the Ball, in the future. Of course, that is where the Star Wars costumers come in. I know a lot of people aren't into the costuming thing, but just let me encourage you with the Ball, at the very least. It is a lot of fun and you meet a lot of great new people, along the way.

OryCon has always been good to me, and this year was no different. Not only were Eric and I praised for helping out the Masquerade Ball, but we were invited to have dinner with the Coordinator and the Queen's Court. While Eric had to go home, I did accept the invite and had a wonderful time. I can say that I had added to my ever-growing circle of OryCon friends, as a result.

The other cool thing that happened was that this year's person in charge of the fan tables had tapped me to do it next year. While it isn't set in stone, just yet, my odds are good of having the position. It really came down between the lady at the Firefly table (I never did get her name) and myself. But should I be picked to be the guy in charge, we will need someone else to step up next year to run the table, as it would be a conflict of interest for me to run a table and be the guy in charge of the tables.

I've also decided that I am taking a break from Star Wars costuming and going the route of my other passion, growing up: GI JOE! I am going to be doing the blue Cobra Soldier and I have convinced myself that I am going to be doing "Wild Bill", too. Why? Well, not only because it is a play on my name, and a junior high teacher used to call me that. But the character's "name" was William S. Hardy, of Brady, Texas. What is significant about that is that my dad's mother's maiden name was Hardy. So it is fitting that I do this particular JOE!

I think I have Eric convinced to do "Shipwreck". In fact, I did some pricing for costuming parts, and brother, will Shipwreck be way cheaper than Wild Bill - like over half the cost of Wild Bill (I'm jealous)! I'll be sending you a pedigree list of what I have come up with, via PM. I am sure you probably have most of it, since you were former Navy, yourself. So you will save even more money, yet.

At any rate, this was a great OryCon experience for the OFF, and myself. I think I can say that we definitely have a home spot at OryCon.

- Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.