main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion thread for Star by Star(MAJOR SPOILERS! CHARACTER DEATHS!no speculation in here.100% true

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Matthew Trias, Sep 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    One more time my friends!*Dances to the song*

My thread is back.

Okay.You've been warned.If you don't want major plot points in SbS spoiled for you;turn back now.

Are you ready ? You'd best be sure.

IMO the NJO is all to similar to real life right now.Religious zealots invading the GFFA,trying to eliminate all infidels and recieve glory in the afterlife.

I just happened to acquire Star by Star spoilers from a friend that got the SbS audio book in New York and I noticed some other simililarities. In SbS Anakin Solo dies in a commando raid on a biological weapon factory.WEll..a Queen really.They have to eliminate her to elimimnate the weapon. Anakin sustains multiple injuries from many Vong troopers on the planet Myrkyr.Because of the planets native Foce blocking ysalamiri ,he is unable to heal himself using the Force and dies(right after he finishes telling Jacen to tell Tahiri good-bye).

Jaina falls to the Dark Side and fries some Vong with Palpatine brand lightning.The Vong was about to hack up the body of her little brother.

"You want your Jeedai?I'll give him to you in pieces!!"

Leia goes into a catatonic state after hearing about Anakin,while Han comforts her.

The good news is that Coruscant does not fall.

But otherwise, that's a pretty grim tale,eh?

Several people I know,that used to be avid fans of the NJO, are now having doubts about it after just learning the plot of this book. One person was looking forward to SbS for some comfort.He wanted to escape reality.He didn't want to think about bombings,and war.At least not realistic war..(as realistic as SWs can get) I was too.Conquest and Rebirth had me feeling cheery. Now this.

Anakin's death reminds me of how many people might suffer Annie's fate in the coming years.Of how many good kids like Anakin will die.He's the poster boy for the faceless.I almost cried last night.It hurts. How many moms will soon end up like Leia?

I came to SWs looking for escape abnd got something tooo close to reality. I know it's not Del Rey's fault that there are so many parallels to real life in the NJO.The attacks happened after it was all planned out.

I also know that I and others are just REALLY sensitive right now.Given a month or two more ,we might feel better. That's not what this topic is about,though.

I'm afraid that Star by Star will give Star Wars a bad name.I'm afraid that many people that are over sensitive right now,will quit the NJO.I think there's a possibility that we might be left with a half finished series.

"Gee..all the books after SbS didn't sell too well. Yeah.let's release the last two hard backs and be done with the series"

I really think it would be a bad marketing decision to release the book now.

Opinions?Yes,no,I'm an f'in moron and should shut up?

Edit: Note, please do not take anything that is said in this post, or this thread out into anywhere else in the forum. We will delete, and if repeated, ban. Thanks.

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    As I was saying before This info could turn off a lot of people from reading star wars, or trusting Del Rey. As well it really could cheapen chewie's death.

3. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    I love how the name of my thread looks like a sign outside a Las Vegas strip joint.

All I need now are neon lights.

4. sweetheart

sweetheart Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    I'm pissed. This makes the whole Chewie dying/Han and Leia splitting up/Leia nearly dying pointless. It's like the NJO is the "Let's kick the Solo family around as much as possible" series :(

5. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Matt was this approved by the admins? ?[face_plain]

6. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Ya, I here Kadue acknowledged it.

7. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    BTW,Yes the adminstratorship did give me it's blessing to post this again.

This should teach you all a lesson.I'm always right.I know the will of the adminship.Well..I do when I'm sitting in the lazy boy Chair of Saint. Gather-Lud. ;)

Please remember to keep ALL spoilers in this thread.Do not try to drop subtle hints and clues in other threads,because YOU ARE NOT AS SUBTLE AND CLEVER AS YOU THINK YOU ARE!

Have some consideration.

8. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Good to hear. I'd hate to see this locked again. It opens up a fresh arena of discussion.

9. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Yes, it's been approved. But I will take great exception to anyone who starts talking about this in other threads. The fact that there are copies of the audio book being out is the only reason this is here. Don't spoil anyone, because trust me, after seeing some people's attempts in other threads, none of you are cleaver enough to hide it.

10. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Hey I did my best without painting a big red sign that says ANAKIN SOLO DIES!.

11. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Im guessing there's gonna be some sort of twist to Anakin's death. Not unlike Chewie's where Han heard Chewie warning him.

12. Darth Cerberus

Darth Cerberus Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 1999
    I'm stunned. I simply did not believe all that Jimmy, etc, etc nonsense. Now we're going to have to listen to Jacen struggle with his ego trying not boast to much about how he feels vindicated about his choices through Anakin's death, and more of his self absorbed, self righteous dribble. Why couldn't Jaina have blasted him instead of the Vong? :mad:

13. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    It was so obvious. But I think it's kinda good. I had an idea for a fanfic where a brother and sister are fighting. One's dark and one's light. It's actually gonna be a plus more than a minus. But they said it would affect alot of people and they weren't lying. Congrats Del Rey, bad choice of character to die though.

14. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Ji-mmy ! Ji-mmy ! JIMMY !!! JIMMY !!! JIIIIMMMMMMMYYYY !!! ANAKIN !!!!!!!

Yeehah ! At last ! Ah, what a relief !

15. spicelord1

spicelord1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2000
    Isn't Too late for them to postpone the release of the book now?

This book may very well end the NJO series for a lot of folks. It seems it is a depressing and dark book and many ppl are looking for something to lift there spirts right now. But will holding back the book a few weeks make any difference? Will ppl heal and feel better about such subjects (like what Matthew Trias described)in that time?

I think that Del Rey is stuck in between a rock and a hard place on this book. If they delay the book they might upset many fans. I don't think they can change the story by this time. What can they do?

16. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I don't care. I mean yes real-life events do make this book seem like a dark cloud. But you have to ask yourself one question: How could they know it'd be a bad time to release it?

17. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Changing the story should in no way be an option. While it might be a nice gesture to delay the release by a month or two, will it make much of a difference? I don't know, the general feeling over here is that will we all still remember the recent events, they are losing their impact. But then it could very well be different in the US.

18. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    People still care over here if that's what you mean. Msnbc has been nothing but WTC this and WTC that. It was tragic yes, but think of it as a family member dying, eventually you have to let go.

19. GA_Pellaeon

GA_Pellaeon Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2001
    I simply cant make sense of this. Why build Anakins story over the last few books, just to kill him off?! We finished with him and Tahiri as a possibility, and then WHAM, he's dead. I feel as though all this character building they've done has been a waste of my time. I realise thier trying to depict realism of war, but hoestly, this just seems like bad story telling. I havn't read it yet, so i'm not exactly in any position to make a judgement. I just hope they tie up any loose ends. Excuse my whinging, this just seems all too abrupt.

20. spicelord1

Jul 12, 2000
    Let go? Say that to a person still hurting from what happened. Tell it to a family member of a soldier who may be sent in to all of this mess.
    sorry

There is no way they could have known about the timing of this book and holding it back may not make much of a differance in what impact the book may have on ppl. Like I asked what can they do? Some folks may not take it as hard as others might. I guess we will see.

21. Ooryl Qyrgg

Ooryl Qyrgg Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2000
    I want to say that this worry over bad image is garbage. The thing is, do we stop producing things containing violence as a result of NY?

No.

It is crap to say this should be escapism, because it still is. How real is a GFFA? Not very. People didn't talk about Rambo being too real? I'm sorry, but I can't accept the thinking that they shouldn't produce something that's violent.

Life is. Get over it.

22. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Yes, perhaps let go was a mistake, how about this? You will always have memories of your loved ones, but I don't think that they'd want their family members to be in constant pain(emotionally) because of their death. I know that when I die I wanna be remembered, but not grieved over completely that the person cannot function. I say delaying will not make a difference by the 30th of October.

23. spicelord1

Jul 12, 2000
    It does seem pretty mean. They spend all this time letting the reader get to know him. Showing the development of his character just to be rid of him by the third hardback. Why do they feel as though they must kill off major characters to tell a story?

(grumbles)

24. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I think people are looking at the death too much and not looking at what might happen as a result. I seriously doubt they wasted all that time. They must have a reason.

25. spicelord1

Jul 12, 2000
    it may not make a differance. Delaying the book may not make any differance at all. I just think the attidude saying let it go so soon after what has just happened and what is going on is a bit callous. It has not even been a month yet! Some are still very much in pain and others are fearful for their family members. Not trying to be offensive to you ..Just a touchie subject..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.