main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Discussion Time: Let's Talk About Drafts - next draft?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Sep 13, 2007.

1. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Mm... Fish.

dp4m likes this.
  2. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    i've been thinking of putting together some mini drafts, in the spirit of fan-duels or daily fantasy football or whatever.

they'd be a much smaller commitment (2 or 3 rounds of drafting? maybe 4 or max 5?), probably a smaller pool of gm's, and would ideally only take a couple days or a week to complete. would you guys be interested in that? what would be some cool subject matter? we could do stuff that has already been done, or something different (like 3 on 3 basketball, or game of thrones characters, or something).

PearsOfKrissto and DarthIntegral like this.
  3. PearsOfKrissto

PearsOfKrissto Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 21, 2015
    Blue spotted yellow tailed mini kissing fish!

4. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    That sounds neat, prenn.

5. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Mod game. Draft mods, and battle against each other over hypothetical JCC situations

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

All mods or current mods?

7. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    I'm still a n00b, all mods are current mods to me

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Oh, you sweet summer child...

Darth Punk likes this.
  9. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    I was just talking nonsense, but with a list of former mods...I'd play that

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    So, thinking about another NBA game, and the idea tom had to have teams selected instead of players. How about an auction?

Each GM gets $100 to spend/bid on teams. We do a draft order. First person up puts a team up for bid. All GMs have 24 hours to bid. Commish announces current high bid. At that point a second team is put up for auction. The first team has another 24 hours for second bids. At that point, the commish announces who won the first team's bid, what the current high bid is on the second team, and the next GM in line puts up a third team for auction.

So, it might go like this.

Day 1, tom puts the Kentucky Colonels up.
    24 hours later, Inty announces that the current high bid is from RX_Sith at $15. At that point in time, DarthTunick puts the Lakers up for Auction
    24 hours later, Inty announces that tom has won the Kentucky Colonels for $16, and that the current high bid on the Lakers is Tunick at $80. At that point in time, EmpireForever puts the Celtics up for auctions.
    The next day, Inty announces that Tunick has won the Lakers for $99, Tom is leading the Celtic Bidding at $80, and PRENNTACULAR puts the Orlando Magic up for Auction.

We'd continue until every GM had spent all their money. Once a GM is out of money, they can't bid and they can no longer put a team up for Auction. If no other GM bids on a team, the GM that put them up for Auction gets them for $1.

At the end of the day, you might have the following:

LloydChristmas spent $45 on the Cleveland Cavaliers, $35 for the Phoenix Suns and $20 for the Orlando Magic. He can then trot out this starting Lineup:

PG: LeBron James (Cleveland, 08-09)
    SG: Charles Barkley (Phoenix 93-94)
    SF: Shaq (Cleveland 09-10)
    PF: Shaq (Phoenix (08-09)
    C: Shaq (Orlando 95-96)

With a bench of any combination of players, with the caveat that you cannot duplicate a player with the same team (so, no multiple Cleveland LeBrons, etc).

Another example:

Prenn spends $100 on the Lakers. No other team can be added. But, Prenn can go with a starting five of

PG: Magic
    SG: Kobe
    SF: Sacre
    PF: Kareem
    C: Shaq

Other thoughts: Teams that relocated would be put together. So if tom bought the SuperSonics, he'd also get the Thunder. If someone bought the L.A. Clippers, they'd get the Buffalo Braves and the San Diego Clippers, too.

Limit this to 8 GMs (or less). Play a round robin against all other seven teams, 2 home 2 away against every other team. Do a playoff of some sort.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  11. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    That's an interesting concept. May take a bit to get it down, but seems fun.

12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm possibly intrigued.

13. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Sounds pretty good to me as well.

14. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
  15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    for the idea in general, or for Sacre starting alongside Magic/Kobe/Kareem/Shaq?

16. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm literally making that lineup so y'all back off

17. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    not if i do it first

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Mod Types, am I okay to do an 8-player NBA Auction Game?

19. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
  20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

Go for it.

21. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
  22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Will get it posted this weekend.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  24. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    With no activity in the basketball draft since basically April, I figured I would share some ideas I had for a new draft. It is the offseason and we'll need something to keep our basketball loving minds busy other than discussing which scrub is now getting a max contract. I would be interested in being commish unless someone else really wants to do it.

1) The Non HOF/All-Star draft: We briefly discussed this during the past draft. In this version, all players in the Hall of Fame or any that ever made an All-Star team would be blacklisted. This I think could be fun especially if you like doing some research beforehand, and would allow for different players to be selected, who otherwise would not be. This would give everyone the opportunity of really putting some thought into their teams construction, rather than just loading up on HOF players.
    2) The Lone Ranger draft: In this idea, in the first round, everyone would get to pick ONE legend of the game to build a team around. After the first round, all HOF/All-Stars would be blacklisted as in the draft concept above, and the rest of the draft proceeds as already stated. Which legend would be able to put his team on his back and carry them to the title? This would give us a chance to find out.
    3) Dynamic Duo draft: This is the Jordan/Pippen or Shaq/Kobe idea. In the first two rounds of the draft, you can pick TWO HOF players to start your team with, and after that all HOF/All-Stars would be blacklisted as in the concepts above.
    4) Franchise League with a twist: Everyone would draft ONE franchise. You can submit your roster using any player that ever played in at least one game for that franchise. The twist is that you can use any season of the players career, regardless of whether it happened for your franchise or not. Want to have prime Dennis Rodman on the Mavs or Lakers? Now you can! How about prime Penny Hardaway on the Heat? Now you can! How about high-flying dunk machine Shawn Kemp on the Magic? Now you can! To make this idea a fair one to all involved, this league would use a salary cap. The salaries of the players are all listed on Whatifsports when you search for them. The cap would keep a level playing field for everyone, as the majority of the franchises present many fun possibilities to submit a championship roster.

My other thoughts are, I would like to play a full 82 game slate for the regular season. Each time the games are simulated though, it would be 7 games at a time for the first 77 games, then finishing up with a 5 game set to equal 82. Number of playoff teams would be determined by the size of the league. It would be fun to get as many people as we can to play. Also, it would be cool if someone would be willing to keep a spreadsheet or something of the league stats.

Those are the thoughts I've had. Any interest, thoughts, or suggestions?

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    So, I had the following thought about the next Comic Book/Video Game/Movie Character/Etc. Draft. Because, the biggest issue is always "the list" and the "power Levels" is always the second issue.

What if we did something like this.

Upon sign-up, each GM puts forward 20 characters to be draftable. After all 8 (let's say 8 for now), the two judges add five characters and the Commish adds ten additional characters to the list, giving us a a total of 180 characters. Each team drafts, say, a dozen, meaning just over half of the characters get drafted. This means:

1) no long arguments over who does/doesn't belong on the list
    2) list is still long enough that no one gets stiffed into not having a choice at the end
    3) the GMs are largely in control of the power level. If someone decides to throw Mistress Death on the list and everyone else has characters at the level of Superman, that GM is giving themselves a 7-in-8 shot of not having the heads-and-shoulders most powerful pick in the draft. Odds are, you wouldn't see someone do that.
    4) Gets a chance for people to have fun with the list. Let's say you want your 20 characters to include J. Jonah Jameson, Aunt May, Martha Wayne, and Martha Kent. Go for it.

I'd also be kind of in favor of doing this on a smaller run - 4 GMs and a quick tournament. More likely to get through it and prove concept, and not have folks have their time eaten up. With 4 GMs, we could even run a draft with just five participants. The GMs act as judges for the matches they aren't in, and the commish is the third judge/tiebreaker.

PRENNTACULAR and Luigi like this.