main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Discussion Time: Let's Talk About Drafts - next draft?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Sep 13, 2007.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

You are out of your mind if you think I'm not picking John Cage for a team lawyer...

2. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    does Rachel from the bachelorette count as a tv character because she's a lawyer and I'm modding the bachelor subreddit now so I'm SUPER familiar with the scope of her powers

DarthIntegral and heels1785 like this.
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Let's light this candle

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    we are posted

Darth Punk likes this.
  6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Two ideas for future drafts I don't want to lose, so I'm posting them now.

1) The Broadway Musical Character Draft. Simply because I want to draft Jean Val Jean. And Alexander Hamilton. And because it's a great way to get "normal" fictional characters in and, largely, not worry about overpowered characters.

2) A "conquest" draft where the winning team gets to swap out one character with the losing team. Possibly limited to avoid too much stacking. Still mulling how to make this work.

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Jabba-wocky - I'd really prefer to not have to sim numbers

edit: oops. wrong thread

8. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Eyyyyy anyone want in a fantasy hockey draft?

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Yes, please.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    So ...

what do we want to do next?

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Well, we've determined I can only play if heels isn't judging, so that's my first criteria?

But I really like the Broadway draft -- would need to confirm whether musicals or drama/comedy as well...

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    With the current "BYOB" methodology of List Building, I think we actually might be able to do an "All Fiction" Draft. Bring the character you want - label the source and the source type. And have an all out melee free for all. You'd need an agreement on a capped power level for everyone to shoot to be under, but it could open the door to some fun battles and arguments and teams.

That said, I am going to guess the next draft will be Comic Books - Marvel Only.

13. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Why Marvel only?

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

**** DC, is usually the response.

15. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    And I assume I'm still the only one who wants animated?

16. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    what lil stevie wants, lil stevie gets

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Well I want Broadway Theater draft, soooooooo... :p

18. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    so animated it is

MandaloreYak and dp4m like this.
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

You... PUNK! ;)

MandaloreYak and Darth Punk like this.
  20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    #TeamBroadway

21. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    If there's a comic book draft going down, you can count me in.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Also, because even DC can't decide what their continuity is. But also, **** DC. And because last time we discussed a Comic Draft, that was the consensus. Keep it to one publisher to keep power sets straight, and then keep it to Marvel because DC is terrible and **** DC.

Also, had this idea for a wrinkle to the draft. I referenced it above, and would like thoughts. I call it a "conquest" mechanism.

When you defeat an opponent, you can claim one character off of their team. The caveat is you must take someone from their "bench". The losing team then gets to pick up a new character from Free Agency. The winning team doesn't need to drop anyone - they get an additional character. It's a lesson in America - the strong and powerful get moreso as the days go by, at the expense of others in their way.

23. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Hahaha. I like the idea. Gets more guys picked up and used. But then how do you do team battles without putting week 1 losers in an immediate disadvantage going forward?

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I suppose it could create too much of an imbalance.

Perhaps a "conquest" mechanism where the winning team removes a character who lost an individual battle (not by forfeit) and permanently removes them from the game, leaving the losing GM weakened, but not also over powering and amping up the winning GM? The losing GM replaces the character from those available in the FA list.

Really adds to the intrigue if bad numbers put your #1 pick against another #1 pick ...

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Eh, but that still leaves GMs "more powerful" in that let's say you have Silver Surfer (GM1) vs. Superman (GM2) -- Superman probably loses that fight, and is banished to the Phantom Zone which makes GM1 more powerful and GM2 weaker, even if GM1 doesn't end up with Superman on his or her team,

How about a modification to your existing Conquest Rule...

ORIGINAL

When you defeat an opponent, you can claim one character off of their team. The caveat is you must take someone from their "bench". The losing team then gets to pick up a new character from Free Agency. The winning team doesn't need to drop anyone - they get an additional character. It's a lesson in America - the strong and powerful get moreso as the days go by, at the expense of others in their way.

MODIFIED

When you defeat an opponent, you can claim one character off of their team. The caveat is you must take someone from their "bench" and you swap someone from your team to that team. The losing GM may then choose to accept that player, or drop and replace from Free Agency.

This allows the winning GM to make a decision on improving their team, and/or ruining cohesion on another team, but probably doesn't upset balance too much,

Another version could be:

When you defeat an opponent, you can claim one character off of their team. The caveat is you must take someone from their "bench" or any fight you won in that round and you swap someone from your team to that team. If you choose an active character swap (not from the bench), your swap must be one of your active characters that round who lost. In the case of a 10-0 sweep, you may choose any member of your team, including the bench -- the strong survive. The losing GM may then choose to accept that player, or drop and replace from Free Agency.