main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Discussion Time: Let's Talk About Drafts - next draft?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Good solution. Where's the magic wand to make it so?!

2. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    looks like somebody usually leaves that wand under the judges' pillow, friend.

3. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    From my experiences, Axle is (to a certain extent) right. Though his God/Moses point is silly, judges are crucial to any draft. If judges are absent, the draft suffers. Look at the Mythology Draft; so far, we've got three absent judges, two absent replacements judges, and Tyi. I don't know how well the other drafts are doing, but I have to admit that inconsistent judges have hindered the Mythology Draft. First of all, we've only got one opinion right now, which means the judgments won't reflect any real consensus. Just as important, the draft has slowed down quite a bit. Matches began in August; so far, we're only midway through our second match. So right now it's taking about two months per match. At that rate, eight matches won't be over until Spring 2009.

Hopefully, reducing the number of active drafts will free up players to fill judge spots.

4. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I'd also suggest adding more judges to each draft. Maybe make the standard five instead of three(Or six, or however many you can get to sign up that you think will do a good job). You still give victories to the first character with two votes, but now you have five judges so it's whoever does it first. And if there is a bad call, as is sometimes the case, the extra judges could help decide it. It would give you room for AWOL judges.

Would this thread be a good place to talk about new draft ideas? I know, right now, the current (Two?) drafts are kind of crippled, and one is mostly my fault(We've now lost two of the original judges, so chances are we would have a slow down about now anyway. Still mostly my fault), but it can't hurt to discuss new venues.

And maybe these newer drafts need not be played out in seasons, as the CBD and M&TV are. For new drafts, it should be double elimination, or some other form of playoff. A quick run through. There really doesn't seem to be much of an end in sight for Myth, and we're only just now midway through the second round. I think Animated is back on it's feet, and we seem to be well right now, but I don't know how many of the GMs will respond to PMs for the next round of numbers. Switching to a playoff mode now doesn't seem like it would be too hard to do, if I can't get most of them to send me their numbers.

Really, it's the loss of judges that hurt a draft the most. You lose a GM, and it sets you back one, maybe two days. If you lose a judge, it can set you back weeks.

5. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    I'd also suggest adding more judges to each draft. Maybe make the standard five instead of three(Or six, or however many you can get to sign up that you think will do a good job). You still give victories to the first character with two votes, but now you have five judges so it's whoever does it first. And if there is a bad call, as is sometimes the case, the extra judges could help decide it. It would give you room for AWOL judges.

I really like the judges idea. When we first ran into rough patches in this Animated Draft I actually thought about this myself but didn't say anything (or maybe I did ) about it. So yeah I agree to having more then the required number of judges, certainly should help to keep things moving on the judges side of things.

And I would actually blame both drafts paraplegia on you EF.

I would be fine with double or single eliminations for Animated and Myth too if need be. I would probably be out in Myth though. :p

But back on track, the judges idea is really good. Though the general census vote has worked to force us through matches where no judge could be found, so that needs to be kept a viable option as well.

6. Hammurabi

Jan 14, 2007
    I would much rather find new judges than curtail the myth draft - right now Tyi's doing a great job, and if we could only find one more we'd have two, and could then use the GM census as a tiebreaker.

7. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    there should really be a lot more drafts too.
    you know, like the care bear draft and the barbie draft.
    maybe also lego and hotwheels drafts?
    [face_thinking]

8. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    A Food Network draft!

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I've been giving this some thought and I think if we switch from the norm being 16 GMs to the norm being 12 GMs for a draft for at least a period of time, it would help out. It would create urgency to sign up, and would (theoretically) cause GMs to value their spot and not give up. Plus there are four people who would normally be involved that might be around to help judge.

10. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Yeah, four extra people who would have been interested would be good. They would probably hang around, and could be used as back up judges or GMs.

11. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I'm a huge proponent of the 12 GM system. We're doing 16 in the JD this draft, and I really dislike it, but I think that doing 12 in some of the other drafts (M&TV, etc.) would be a good idea, and would leave a pool of three/four interested people to play the part as spectator or judge when need be.

12. Hammurabi

Jan 14, 2007
    That sounds like a pretty good way to make drafts shorter and increase the judge pool. I think it's worth a try.

13. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    12 men walk in, one walks out.

14. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Fixed.

15. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    The 16 --> 12 sounds like a good idea. The Videogames draft is trying it right now, so I'm interested to see the results of that.

16. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Drafts always manage, even with a lack of GM interest. It makes the game less fun, but it can't bring the entire thing to a screeching halt. The commish and the judges can. That's why an increase of judges would be much more beneficial than a decrease in GM's. Of course, there's pros to both of them, and they do work together in a way. Regular draft participants who don't get to play with the decrease in GM's could then become backup judges. Then the drafts would just be shorter overall, decreasing the chances of something else coming up in RL for the commish or any of the judges.

What I'm trying to say is... nothing. This was a useless post.

Continue.

17. TheManinBlack

TheManinBlack Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2007
    I'd like to throw my hat in as a judge...

18. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    You have to do that in a draft thead that a) needs one, and b) you have enough knowledge about that you'd feel comfortable making judgements in.

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Aren't we drafting drafts in this draft thread?

I think I'm qualified to judge in that draft.

20. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Draft the cute and cuddly draft first. I think it has the durability and experience to take down any other draft in it's path.

21. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Don't forget the skill. That's essential in every draft, so it'd obviously be of utmost importance in the draft draft.

22. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I'd like to see a draft where the talents of characters like Spike Spiegel and Brock Sampson are fully appreciated. Where Jason Bourne going in the first round is a no brainer. Where Tyler Durden is not only drafted because he's a maniacal genius, but because he will beat your ***. And where, for once, I can draft Raphael without him getting his face owned.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Like a "regular dudes" draft?

24. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Yeah, you mentioned that before EF. That'd be sweet.

Mostly because the coolest characters are always "regular dudes".

25. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Yeah. Like a "Nothing Special About Us" draft.

It'll be like the minor leagues.