main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Discussion Time: Let's Talk About Drafts - next draft?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Sep 13, 2007.

1. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Well I'm just saying Inty...

2. TheManinBlack

TheManinBlack Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2007

Well my Sarcasm dector going through the roof now...

Here are some others

Two-Face (batman)

Penguin (Batman)

Kingpin (Spider-Man)

(depends on witch version) Red Skull

3. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    Here's some bad guys, then some good guys. A lot of the bad guys aren't really antagonists in the traditional sense - a lot of them are protagonists, but criminals.

Anton Chigurh (No Country for Old Men)
    Unosuke (Yojimbo)
    Ben Wade (3:10 to Yuma)
    Charlie Prince (3:10 to Yuma)
    Mickey Knox (Natural Born Killers)
    Mallory Knox (Natural Born Killers)
    Kurtz (Apocalypse Now/Heart of Darkness)
    Vito Corleone (The Godfather)
    Michael Corleone (The Godfather)
    Sonny Corleone (The Godfather)
    Vincent (Collateral)
    Vincent Vega (Pulp Fiction)
    Jules Winnfield (Pulp Fiction)

And a few 'good guys' I'm fond of:

The Seven Samurai (each samurai individually)
    Dan Evans (3:10 to Yuma)
    Butch Coolidge (Pulp Fiction)
    Neville Flynn (Snakes on a Plane)

And my perspectives on some of your earlier questions:
    Star Wars: I would interpret this one fairly narrowly. For instance, Han Solo strikes me as entirely appropriate. Most Star Wars characters don't - that includes Chewbacca, Luke, and probably Boba Fett.
    Serenity/Firefly: Mal, Jayne, and Zoe all seem like good picks. I'm just now getting into Firefly, so I wouldn't know about other characters, though some of the ship's crew (such as Simon, Wash, Kaylee) wouldn't stand up well in a fight.
    Men in Black: I'd rather not, if we don't have to. Sure, they're 'normal' guys, but they're packing superweapons.
    Lord of the Ring: I can definitely see Aragorn and Boromir working out. Hobbits and dwarves seem fairly reasonable, but elves are a bit iffy. Then again, I'm only familiar with the films.
    Metal Gear: I'm only a little familiar with Metal Gear, but Snake seems good. So does Revolver Ocelot, if we need a villain.

4. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    This is a mix of heroes and villans, but they are people I thought of off the top of my head

Ben Sisko (Star Trek)
    President James Marshall (Air Force One)
    Ivan Korshunov (Air Force One) - villain (We could probably add one or two of his men as well)
    Agent Gibbs (Air Force One) - villain
    Jack Ryan (Tom Clancy books)
    John Clark (Clancy books)
    Domingo "Ding" Chavez (Clancy books)
    Sean Miller (Patriot Games) - villain
    Dirk Pitt (Clive Cussler novels)
    Al Giordino (Clive Cussler novels)
    Gaius Baltar (BSG) - villain

Would the Cylon Skinjobs from BSG be eligible? If so, Leoben, Boomer, and Gina would probably count as good villains. Of course, bringing in more villains from BSG would mean that we'd need to bring in at least Starbuck, if not a lot more heroes.

EDIT: Thought of a couple more
    Eugene Irwin (The Last Castle)
    Murdoc (MacGuyver) - villain

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    We should just call it the "Harrison Ford" Draft. :p

6. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    [face_laugh]

the Indiana Jones theme music just started up in my head again . . . perfect fit

7. TheManinBlack

Aug 1, 2007
    I think we have enough here to start a pretty decent Draft

8. Hammurabi

Jan 14, 2007
    We could, but I think it might be best to take a little more time to review. Add and subtract, you know? I'm sure there's plenty of great names we've forgotten, and there's also some editing we can do to the list. Some probably shouldn't be on there - the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, for example, don't strike me as 'average' enough.

9. TheManinBlack

Aug 1, 2007
    I'm fine with sitting here and reviewing the list...I just hope Misato makes the list.

10. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I have Thundercats on there, but they're definitely coming off. Movie version Turtles are very much under the cap for this draft, I think.

I'm about to make some suggestions to this list on who to take off that I have on there, and put up an add to the list list.

A couple of other things though:

Prep time

Honestly, do these people need 24 hours to prepare for their opponents? I think this should be cut drastically. I'm thinking anywhere from 1 hour and under. You never really see these guys, in a combat situation, sit back and have 24 hours to come up with something. A lot of times it's in the heat of the moment. The current prep rules seem way out of place for this draft.

Locations

This will help to keep martial artist types from getting one shotted a lot of times. A wide open, dome type scenario is not something you see these guys in often. Adding some wilderness, rural, suburban, and urban settings should help to eliminate vague prep uses, and will allow for combatants to take some kind of cover, whereas a wide open arena does not. Areas like Evacuated Times Square(Heroes), El Paso(For a Few Dollars More), or Badon Hill(King Arthur), are examples, but pretty much anything generic could be used.

11. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Is Tyler Durden on that list? He should be.

About Prep times, I think we should have 1 24 hour prep per team, per round.

If I were the GM of Jason Bourne or some others, I'd really love to have that prep time. Same goes for Batman, Joker, etc.

Also, what about guys Cordell and Walker from Walker Texas Ranger?

12. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    If we do locations, I think that we should keep prep time in. It'd allow people to figure out ambush spots and the like.

In a normal people draft, MacGuyver with prep would be pretty good.

EDIT: Prenn, Cordell is Walker's first name. I think you meant Travett (if you were talking about his partner).

13. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I didn't say cut it completely, but an entire day seems a bit excessive.

14. TheManinBlack

Aug 1, 2007
    How about 4-8 hours...so one guy could get a lay of the land know ambush spots, lay out a select choice of weapons, and the like

15. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Does having 24 hours or a couple hours really make that much of a difference though? It isn't like it adds time to the draft length or anything. If it aight broke, don't fix it.

16. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    It's just that when I envision it, I see the scene from Evil Dead when Ash makes his chainsaw arm. That takes him all of five minutes. So then, you get that one scene, and I see him sitting around for the next 23 1/2 hours waiting for his opponent to show up. It's more for my imagination. What is anyone in here going to do with 24 hours? Have something next day aired? For these guys it's always a race against the clock to prepare for the bad guy, and 24 hours takes away from my imaginated scenario.

No, I don't think Imaginated is a word.

17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah, I see your point EF, that most of the guys we're talking about are better on the fly, that's how they're used to operating. But that makes it all the better to identify the ones who can really use the 24 hours, who have access to some sweet resources, and who maybe aren't as quick on their feet as the other guys at adapting. That's why I say a prep or two is a good thing.

18. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Yes, I am for the prep. PErhaps this would be a good time to start that prep thing you were talking about. Where you could split it up, giving one person 72 hours instead of your three preps, or something like that? That way you could pick someone who could utilize the time better, and someone who utilizes less time better.

Ok, have some cuts, have some adds, and have some people I'm on the fence about.

Cut:
    Thundercats
    Deathstroke
    Elektra

Add:
    Johnny Rico(Starship Troopers)
    Dizzy Flores(Starship Troopers)
    Ace Levy(Starship Troopers)
    Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
    Teal'c (Stargate SG-1)
    Jack O'Neil(Stargate SG-1)
    Han Solo(Star Wars)
    Chewbacca(Star Wars)
    Lando Calrissian(Star Wars)
    Mal (Firefly)
    Jayne(Firefly)
    Zoe(Firefly)
    The Operative (Firefly)
    Sam Gamgee(LOTR)
    Boromir(LOTR)
    Frodo Baggins(LOTR)
    Aragorn(LOTR)
    Gimli(LOTR)
    Ra's Al Ghul (Batman Begins)
    Edward Nigma(The Riddler)
    Bob Kane(Two face)
    Nicholas Wolfwood(Trigun)
    Vash the Stampede(Trigun)
    Revolver Ocelot(Metal Gear Solid)
    Raiden(Metal Gear Solid)
    Tony Montana(Scarface)
    Hannibal Lecter(Silence of the Lambs)
    Olga Gurlukovich(Metal Gear Solid)
    The Boss(Metal Gear Solid)
    Duke(G.I. Joe)
    Lady Jaye(G.I. Joe)
    Storm Shadow (G.I. Joe)
    Sgt. Slaughter (G.I. Joe)
    Cobra Commander (G.I. Joe)
    Tomax (G.I. Joe)
    Xamot (G.I. Joe)
    Baroness (G.I. Joe)
    Destro (G.I. Joe)
    Scarlett (G.I. Joe)
    Flint (G.I. Joe)
    Snake Eyes (G.I. Joe)
    Zartan(G.I. Joe)
    Seprentor(G.I. Joe)
    Anton Chigurh (No Country for Old Men)
    Unosuke (Yojimbo)
    Ben Wade (3:10 to Yuma)
    Charlie Prince (3:10 to Yuma)
    Mickey Knox (Natural Born Killers)
    Mallory Knox (Natural Born Killers)
    Kurtz (Apocalypse Now/Heart of Darkness)
    Vito Corleone (The Godfather)
    Michael Corleone (The Godfather)
    Sonny Corleone (The Godfather)
    Vincent (Collateral)
    Vincent Vega (Pulp Fiction)
    Jules Winnfield (Pulp Fiction)
    Dan Evans (3:10 to Yuma)
    Butch Coolidge (Pulp Fiction)
    Neville Flynn (Snakes on a Plane)
    Eugene Irwin (The Last Castle)
    Murdoc (MacGuyver)
    Dwight McCarthy (Sin City)
    Marv (Sin City)
    Hartigan(Sin City)

On the fence:
    Deedlit
    Pirotess
    Chewbacca
    Worf
    Legolas
    Cassandra Cain
    The Joker
    Solid Snake(Metal Gear Solid)
    Liquid Snake(Metal Gear Solid)

I'm on the fence about Elves, especially Deedlit and Pirotess, because they're just a bit too special, in my opinion. Legolas less so, but he's still not your normal dude. Worf and Chewie because they're a bit stronger and more durable than an average guy. It's understandable if their physiologies put them over the top. Snake is still decent material for the VGD, do we need him here too? He's awesome, but...well, he's maybe a bit too awesome. And his brother is there because he's been genetically altered. Don't know if I want to keep him or not. The Joker is on there because of his feats. A movie version would be ok, I think, but maybe the comics version is too much, in the same way that I think the comics Batman is too much. Cassandra Cain would be something of a Dr. Strange or Silver Surfer pick in here. She doesn't completely destroy teams, but I don't see really anyone beating her one on one. But, we have to have a cap, and she could be it.

There are way more names than I thought there would be, so we may even want to bring the power down a little bit more. From what I can tell, though, this is all the names in the range of late, late drafted, and not drafted at all. I think it's a good range.

19. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Is there really anything to counter the tech from Star Gate? Seems pretty advanced,especially for prepsters.

20. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I had them up as questionable, and no one said anything. What did you have in mind specifically? IS there any way to counter Star Trek tech? Star Wars? Not really. But I think letting them have a phaser isn't going to tip the balance in their favor all that much. Are you saying the SG-1 stuff is different? What stuff am I not aware of? I'm not a huge fan of the show.

21. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    That's true and good point but there are a couple things I had in mind. Now I could be wrong but I was thinking of the going intangible and invisibility and such from Teal'c in the M&TV draft. That was him was it not? I can't think of much of anything in the SW/ST universe to out tech that, and I am sure there are a few other things too.

I don't have a problem with them I was just checking to see what all was said about them is all.

22. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Yeah, that was the SG guys with the intangibility. Seems a bit... unbeatable for most of the guys on this list. Can't have the tech going too, too advanced IMO. Becomes as less ordinary as enhanced reflexes or super durability.

23. Hammurabi

Jan 14, 2007
    I'm not familiar with Stargate, so I didn't say anything.

And with Firefly, there's a couple villains we could add on there. I'm thinking Saffron and Niska. The Hands of Blue seem a bit too powerful.

24. TheManinBlack

Aug 1, 2007
    Good Job adding in Two Face and Tony Monata

Solid Snake and Liqud are normal enough to be in this draft...Chewebacca on the other hand ehhhh

Shame on you for no Misato (Evangelion)The Man with No Name (Clint Eastwood) or Kevin from Sin City...lame [face_shame_on_you]

25. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    The man with no name is on the list as Joe(For a Few Dollars More).

Kevin would be a very nice addition.

I guess maybe Miho, too? It's been a while since I've seen it.