main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Discussion Time: Let's Talk About Drafts - next draft?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Sep 13, 2007.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Does anyone have ideas about who to cut?

2. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    i'm not so sure cuts are necessary, really. sure it's a big list, but so is the jedi draft list, or the frikken' animated dude list. i mean yeah, i know optimus prime or lion-o but i'm really not sure about anybody else on that damn thing. some people know, some people don't. those that know draft who's good, those that don't draft better next time. i mean hey, we took dr. and the jack of hearts off the list.

oh, and whitey, i feel like i was in a draft where somebody had three or four GLs back in the day. i know that rayner and stewart and jordan and even gardner were all on there at the same time before. i guess they got cut 'cause we've gotta make cuts.

3. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Maybe we should just take a poll: Who wants teams to be high-powered, and who wants the draft to get to lower-powered people?

I'm in the latter category, which is usually the reason I always want cuts.

4. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    I think going back to something like the fourth iteration of the list would be way more fun. If you want to cut people, do it based on their character. Are they important to the genre? Does anyone really care about x or y? Consider that rather than worrying about whether or not the list is too dense at the top. And if someone wants to draft spider-man, even though he's not a viable pick(in an 8 man draft), let him, but don't exclude the likes of silver surfer because you want to force the x-men into contention.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    What he said.

6. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    So we are bringing back herald level folks?

7. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    I sure hope so.

8. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    yeah, i never got a chance to make the surfer my team captain. i should have more of that.

9. whiteeagle

whiteeagle Jedi Master star 6

Dec 24, 2004
    I vaguely remember skimming a draft that was like that but then I believed we moved to the format where we could only draft one and had to pick the incarnation we wanted. Which basically ended up being everybody drafting Hal and that one draft where I was able to draft "Ion."

I just want the possibility of drafting as many lantern as I want

10. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Well, you guys know where I stand, which seems to be in the minority. I'll just go along with the people, since that seems to work pretty well in most of life. After all, I'm just a lowly judge here to state my opinion and get beaten down for it. And then go on a rant. Kind of like this one is turning into. Except I'm in class. Although that hasn't stopped me sometimes before. But it is this time. Sure, we can go with the herald-level idea if you guys want.

I'll keep my "I told you so" poster handy.

11. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    There he is, that Yak... always polishing them apples.

12. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Well, we should at least put in some more team picks. I could get to work on this tomorrow. During class.

13. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    so is this draft going to take as long to start as the jedi draft is taking to finish? are the two mutually exclusive? are the two dating? do you know who's fat!?

[image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/axlestarweilder/doggiedoing.jpg]

14. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    As it turns out I could probably participate as a GM. Not in any other capacity though. Besides, I don't think you really want me judging.

[image=http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing.jpg]

15. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    ok, i decided i am gonna bring this up again because it bugged me so much last time.

why is doomsday being limited to the original one? he has been beat repeatedly since the original one. if you want a cutoff point reign of doomsday would make more sense to me, just like it did last draft.

16. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Reign of Doomsday? Isn't that when he was able to absorb nearly anything thrown at him, take on Cyborg Superman and Supergirl at the same time, holds off a team consisting of part of the Justice League and an Alpha Lantern, then finally shows the ability to absorb Henshaw's nanotech and become Cyborg Doomsday?

At that point it would be almost impossible for any one person to stop him, much less many teams. That is just my opinion of course, but I would vote no on allowing that incarnation of Doomsday.

17. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i didn't mean including that, i meant when he showed up before that.

although if we're bringing in herald level people again wouldn't that be semi-consistent power level wise?

18. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
  19. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Since this draft is supposed to be, you know, for fun... Why don't we just give Doomsday what everyone really knows he should have. Bump him up to barely >Supes for the purposes of the draft. Does anyone really have a problem with that?

20. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    [image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/axlestarweilder/bull****.jpg]

21. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    And my night has been made.

22. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    How about we just axe the guy? He's a plot device. "how do we kill Superman?" "how can we once again threaten Superman?" "how can we get the point across that Superman is just really awesome?" The guy's worse than Despero in terms of characterization. You're only drafting him as a weapon--granted this happens often enough, but it's pointless to have a weapon that no one can come to a consensus on how powerful it is. If you take him back to DoS, you have no frame of reference for how he stacks up anymore(we've had that discussion before), if you don't cut him off soon enough, suddenly he's a team buster. Just forget him and move on.

23. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Already the axe is laid to the root... Excellent.

24. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Those were 4 different Doomsday clones.

25. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004