main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Discussion Time: Let's Talk About Drafts - next draft?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Agreed, but it seemed to me like those issues were turned all the way up to 11 when we jacked the power level back up to "Galactus is our cutoff". That was, by far, the worst I'd ever seen it. It looks like it still came up on occasion in this last draft, but it was much more subdued. Then again... the absence of the, uhhh... most frequent culprit of starting those peak arguments may have had a little something to do with that.

And yeah, EF, that list is definitely cut off. It's at least missing the entire "Other" list where we had guys like Kratos and Ratchet. That list needs a major, major overhaul anyway. So many possible picks could be added on just from the last time we talked about doing VG, let alone the last time we actually played it. And that's just from the games I've played and know. I probably don't even have a quarter of the time I used to have for games, so I've had to let a bunch of stuff I wanted to play slide on by. I haven't even touched a JRPG since I got about two hours into FF XIII and turned it off in disgust.

2. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I don't think many would agree that "Galactus is our cutoff" is a good place to hold a draft. I definitely wouldn't push for that, it's just that higher power levels don't necessary mean more problems. It just means we need clearer definitions of what peak means to each character or at the very least how each judge views it prior to the start of drafting.

But yes, the absence of a particular someone did seem to help reduce the number of ridiculous arguments.

3. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    oh, i don't think it has to mean more problems, it just has seemed to most of the time. why it gets more heated with higher power levels i don't really know, but that does seem to be a consistent issue that would have to be ironed out before i'd even look at one like that again.

4. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This sounds good. If this is going ahead, I'd be happy to help with putting it together. The list would be massive, which I think would be a lot of fun. The Jedi draft includes everyone except for the Ones, so I don't see why the comic draft can't include everyone except for the cosmic entities and characters like that.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    The Jedi draft is a whole different animal than comics, Jordan. Much, much smaller sample size to draw from - the Jedi draft and Starfighter draft are closer in scale.

6. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Oh, yeah, the "other" list. I forgot how we had it set up. Well, I'll try to get as many of the characters as I can remember.

Oh, and Jordan, here's the previous Comic version's list. The list we just used was the leftovers of that draft.

7. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That's more like it. I'm surprised at some of the characters that didn't get chosen in that draft.

8. Wang Chi

Mar 3, 2013
    I'll definitely help you out in restoring/updating that list.

Oh, and I think I brought it up the last time VG came up, but it's probably a good idea to make it a rule that no time-related powers be allowed for any character. No slow/stop spells for any FF character, no stopwatch for the Castlevania blokes, none of that. The VG list is absolutely teeming with characters that can alter time or other people's perception of time in some fashion. It's just too much.

And maybe, maybe, we could just go ahead and cut the Suikoden characters entirely. There's nothing wrong with them, but chances are I'm still the only one here that's played any of those games and they don't really bring too much to the table that isn't brought by plenty of other characters on the list.

Also, Dissidia should be brought up, as it has the potential to shake up what we tend to think of a lot of those Final Fantasy characters. It's kind of in a weird place in terms of canon, but even if it is alternate universe, it's not like it was written and directed by random fanficers. AU or not, this is how they want us to view these characters. I never played it, but watched some videos and read a synopsis, and in it, each individual hero seems to be perfectly capable of defeating their villain counterpart cleanly in a one-on-one battle. Like, Cloud beat Sephiroth (though Advent Children Complete already kinda established that when it changed the circumstances in which Cloud won that last fight), Zidane beats Kuja and Terra even beats Kefka. By herself. Needs discussing.

9. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Does Dissidia actually have a storyline? That is canonical?

10. Wang Chi

Mar 3, 2013
    It does have a story... near as I can tell. It's typical Final Fantasy gobbledegook that I can't even pretend to want to attempt to follow. As far as it being canonical goes, a quick google search shows people being all over the place about it. I guess we could try and ignore it for simplicity's sake, but then you get things like the Terra/Kefka situation. I always suspected Terra was a powerhouse in a way that no one could really prove because of the limitations of those SNES-era games, but watching Dissidia footage on Youtube... it doesn't seem outside of the realm of (fictional) possibility that she could be way closer to top-tier than any of us ever thought.

Or is it the opposite in a way? Does it maybe devalue all the characters in the series a bit? Is it because she's that good, or is it maybe that Kefka isn't as good as we may have thought (sorry, Inty)? Are any of them? Watching them all spaz about in real time combat is pretty cool, but I'm not seeing anything there that's too amazing. I dunno, I'm not really sure what I think. That's why I bring it up.

11. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    The more I am reading this stuff on the VG draft the less interested I am becoming.

Just don't have the knowledge needed, or the desire to go and do the work to get me up to speed.

If VG is up next I'm out.

12. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Likewise. I'm pretty much comics and animated, as well as pokemon and wrestling.

13. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    I would do myth as well.

14. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    The best part about vg is that almost all of them are posted in their entirety on YouTube. Several times over. If you want sources, that's the one.

heels1785 likes this.
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I can't do anything other than Comic (barely) and Myth probably and I was only a replacement last time anyways...

16. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Anyway, like I said, I'll work on both lists, and whatever we have we have.

I'm happy to have Myth remain sealed with me as the sole champion. We don't need to dig that up.

17. Wang Chi

Mar 3, 2013
    Sheesh, you guys are no fun at all! Just wing it, and if you suck, you suck. I'd judge, not GM... we could even bring back a power list!

But I suppose we should maybe consider other options if enough people aren't feeling VG. It's not like there's this massive pool of willing players for these things.

18. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    That is my concern. I have to give the people what they want.

19. Wang Chi

Mar 3, 2013
    Animated would be an entirely different beast from the last one, just based on the Naruto and One Piece leaps alone.

20. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Yeah, it needs a lot of work.

21. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Well, I've got real internet now. Right after the nick of time. Let's work.

22. whiteeagle

whiteeagle Jedi Master star 6

Dec 24, 2004
    Wrestling or Comics for me. Would also give more time to tinker with the VG or animated list.

23. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I would be interested to jump in on a Myth draft.

Evil.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Let's just say **** it and let everyone draft any ten fictitious characters they want. Well call it the kitchen sink draft.

25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I am in full support of that. Just one judge, too.

I have the perfect candidate in mind.