main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DISCWORLD - which storyline is your favourite?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Mar17swgirl, Dec 12, 2006.

?

DISCWORLD - which storyline is your favourite?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Rincewind/wizards stories (COM, LF, S...)

3.6%
  2. Death stories (M, RM, H)

21.4%
  3. Witches stories (ER, WS, WA...)

7.1%
  4. City Watch stories (GG, MAA, FOC, NW...)

17.9%
  5. Tiffany Aching stories (WFM, HFS, W)

3.6%
  6. Other (please specify)

3.6%
  7. I can't decide - I love them all!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Disc-what??

42.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Poll approved by TheBoogieMan

Key to the abbreviations:

COM - The Colour of Magic
    LF - The Light Fantastic
    ER - Equal Rites
    M - Mort
    S - Sourcery
    WS - Wyrd Sisters
    GG - Guards! Guards!
    RM - Reaper Man
    WA - Witches Abroad
    MAA - Men at Arms
    FOC - Feet of Clay
    H - Hogfather
    NW - Night Watch
    WFM - The Wee Free Men
    HFS - A Hat Full of Sky
    W - Wintersmith

And yes, I'm well aware that some of these storylines overlap... ;)

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    So hard to choose between Watch, Wizards and Death...Death is my favourite character but I'm not sure he has my favourite storylines...[face_thinking]

3. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    I can't decide between the Watch and Death. Because Death's just insanely cool. I'm leaning towards the Watch though because Captain Carrot's awesome.

4. Lucozade_Skywalker

Lucozade_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2003
    Ah ... so hard ... tie between the wizards and the Watch, but I went for the Watch because overall, their books feel more accomplished - the wizards are in a lot of the early ones, when Pratchett was still developing a style, but the Watch's books are largely awesome. Men At Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, Night Watch, Thud! - the only Watch book that could even remotely be called substandard is Guards! Guards!, and even that's pretty darn good.

5. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Absolutely Death Stories...

He's the funniest of the whole bunch...

And I'm sure he would agree with me... :p

-I_H

6. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I should have said Night Watch, but I said other because my favorite character is Moist Von Lipwig from Going Postal. That's my favorite one so far.

7. Lucozade_Skywalker

Lucozade_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2003
    ^ Mr. Lipwig deserves several more books. He's just such an awesome character.

8. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Nice to see that the City Watch is winning! :cool: And I absolutely agree with Lucozade_Skywalker - this storyline certainly shows the most character and plot development. The wizards books are fun, because they're such a hilarious bunch, but the plot is not half as well developed as in the City Watch stories (my favourites are Night Watch - well, duh, see my signature... :p - and Feet of Clay and Thud!). And also Lord Vetinari is a prominent character in those books, and I absolutely looooooove Vetinari! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

But I debated voting for Death stories, too, because I love Death as well, he's such a lovely character, how he's trying to understand humanity and be nice... :p And Susan is an uber-cool character. :cool:

So my most favourite characters are Lord Vetinari ( [face_love]), Death, Susan, Sam Vimes, Granny Weatherwax... and I'm a big fan of Carrot+Angua. I hope Pratchett gets them married soon!

Oh, and Lucozade_Skywalker: Mr. Lipwig is certainly a promising character, and there will be definitely more books about him - in fact, the next book in the series, Making Money is a Moist von Lipwig book. Should come soon, hopefully. :)

9. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Disc-what? [face_blush]

10. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Blasphemy!

11. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Shame on you! [face_shame_on_you]

:p

Really, you're missing a fantastic series, full of great humour, parodies on fantasy and real world in general, and lots of brilliant dialogue.

12. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    I'll remember that. :D

13. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    I've only discovered Discworld recently, and since so far I've only read Pyramids, Mort, and Reaper Man, I'm going to have to go with the Death stories. :p I'm sure I'll love the others just as much once I get into them, though. :D

14. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    (Now unbanned and back to my regular account)

Vetinari is awesome. I always imagine Alan Rickman playing him for some reason ...

That's the best news I've heard in a while. Wonderful. Sounds like it's going to be about Mr. Lipwig's adventures at the Royal Mint . . . I presume he got that job handed to him after Reacher Gilt, er, declined. :p

15. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    So I ended up voting for the city watch. But I still <3 Death.

16. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Whaaat? :eek: Alan Rickman as Vetinari?? No. Way. Sorry. :p I like him as Snape in HP, but he's way too old and grey and wrinkly for Vetinari. And he's not thin enough. It's hard to think of a good actor for him, but I think with proper make up and costume, Daniel Day-Lewis wouldn't be that bad... [face_thinking]

Of course, Paul Kidby gets him perfect... :p

Yep. :D And judging by the ending of Thud!, I'm very much convinced that there might be a subplot about Ankh-Morpork getting Underground. I mean: existing network of dwarf-built tunnels under A-M + the circle-and-bar mark of the mines + fast-moving carriages powered by perpetuum-mobile-like Devices + Vetinari's genius = well, you should get the picture. :p

17. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm disappointed to see the 'Disc-what?' category is currently winning... :(

Personally, I love the Unseen University faculty, and Death is always fun but the Watch wins my vote. The supporting cast of Carrot, Nobby, Fred, Detritus, Cheery etc are top-notch, but it's Vimes who's the show-stopper. Without a doubt he's Pratchett's best and most-developed character. Feet of Clay and Night Watch are two of my favourite reads. Ever.

18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Mine, too! :D And I absolutely agree about Vimes. He's an awesome and incredibly real and human character. And to think that Pratchett originally didn't intend to keep Vimes in command at all - he was supposed to retire and Carrot was supposed to take the lead. Funny, eh? :p

19. Grand_Admiral_Grant

Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 30, 2004
    City Watch for sure.

I also still think thew Discworld computer game is one of best games ever by the way. :cool:

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    These books were highly recommended to me and I've read a couple. have to admit they just didn't grab me. :(

21. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I have no clue what the hell this Discworld that everyone's talking about is.

22. DEATH_OF_RATS

DEATH_OF_RATS Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2006
  23. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Witches stories.

24. jedikitty19

jedikitty19 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 23, 2006
    Disc-what??

25. ticopuma