Disgusted with Exploitation of "Star Wars Kid"

Discussion in 'Providence, RI' started by dsid13, Jul 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsid13 Jedi Youngling

I just read the story about the Star Wars Kid, a fifteen year old exploited by four moralless and mindless peers and, ultimately, by thousands of internet users who watched streams of the child. As a thirty year old, learning of this exploitation of a child, I must make clear my beliefs that making fun of this child is no better than watching a video of a minor being raped. The idea that so many people would be amused by the violation of a child is sick. If you are reading this and are one of said people, I seriously recommend that you not go around calling yourself a Star Wars fan, because the messages behind Star Wars contradict who you are and you are a disgrace. Personally, I would like to see these violators tried as adults and locked in jail for a few decades. Well, it would be justice if they were given the death penalty with an online stream, but that is not realistic.
  2. TK7771 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I must make clear my beliefs that making fun of this child is no better than watching a video of a minor being raped.

You can't be serious!!

The idea that so many people would be amused by the violation of a child is sick

If it was such a "violation" then why did he bring the tape to school to show his friends?

If you are reading this and are one of said people, I seriously recommend that you not go around calling yourself a Star Wars fan, because the messages behind Star Wars contradict who you are and you are a disgrace.

I've seen it, plus the many remakes of it.And i laugh just as hard as I did when i first saw it.And I proudly call myself a Star Wars fan.II also find no message in Star Wars that states who I am supposed to be.

Personally, I would like to see these violators tried as adults and locked in jail for a few decades

So the website that was setup to raise this kid money isn't enough? Damn, I wish someone would start a fund raising website for me.Hey wait a minute,maybe I should video tape myself doig something dumb then maybe people will feel bad for me and give me money, then I can turn around and sue them all for helping.Think I should?

Well, it would be justice if they were given the death penalty with an online stream

No offense but thats just plain dumb!
  3. Jeffbacca Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Star wars tells me i'm suppose to be a wookiee. And wookiees pull the arms off of things that annoy them. *eyes dsid13*
  4. starwarschick14 Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree that what happened to this poor kid was absolutely terrible. Kids can be very cruel, especially in high school. However, I think your "concern" is misplaced. It was "Star Wars Kid"'s peers at his school that tormented him to the point where he needed to drop out and seek counseling and education elsewhere. Most members of the online community who have been showing and discussing this video are sympathetic towards and admiring of this guy. Cruelty is not buying a kid an iPod. Sure, the video is amusing, but not in the way that would lead most of us to call the kid a nerd or geek. When I first saw the video, I thought it was awesome. This kid was clearly unashamed of what he was doing to make this type of video for a class. Don't we all wish we could be that comfortable with ourselves?

Unless the "Star Wars Kid" told his "friends" that it was ok for them to release the video on the internet, distributing it to a much larger audience than for which it was originally created, I completely agree with his parents' decision to sue these kids. Hopefully they'll find it difficult to live with what they did someday. And hopefully the "Star Wars Kid" will recover and go on to live a very successful life. He has far more support in the world than he realizes.
  5. Jeffbacca Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Plus , he is going to be THE Star Wars Kid! which is awesome! If i'm lucky i'll be called THE Guy That Sometimes Doesn't Smell Funny.
  6. Tarr Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Bah this kid is awesome. Yah I laughed but it's because he's an instant classic. And I'll continue to laugh every time I watch it. Come on if I did that I'd be laughing my ass off w/everyone. Go Star Wars Kid! fzz!! FZZ!! fzz!! FFFFFfffZZZZ!! http://www.jedimaster.net/swk_videos.htm
  7. DarthMoby Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Hey,

That kid is like ten times better than I am at that kind of stuff. If I had tried that, I would have been bloodied and brusied by the end. GO Star Wars Kid!

EDIT:Spelling beats me again.
  8. idarii Jedi Padawan

star 4
    i finally saw this video, and i really didn't think it was all that bad. yeah it was silly, a spoof of this kid's ability. but was he violated? betrayed maybe. should his parents sue? this is america, we sue if our hot coffee is (god fobid) hot. i didn't know about any fundraiser website set up for this kid, but if there is, hey all the better. it's kinda silly to get so worked up over it. he's already got the kind of fame mahir enjoyed a few years ago, and in a few more years people will be saying "the star wars who?"

just like you're right now saying "who the heck is mahir?"
  9. TK7771 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    this is america, we sue if our hot coffee is (god fobid) hot

Technicaly,the kid is canadian :D

Who is mahir? :confused: 8-}
  10. Jeffbacca Jedi Youngling

star 3
    The fact that the name posted with was created the same day the post was made (he has one post), makes me believe that "dsid13" just started it to make a big deal. Not very strong convictions if they had to make a new name to say their opinion.
  11. ondiv Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I have been following this story since it first came out, and if anyone is interested I've got some articles that you might find interesting.
    lawsuit article
    Kid article with comments
    The second link has the doller amounts that were raised aswell as what was purchased for the Kid. It is about half way down the page.
    I think the kid will go down in history!!! Go Star Wars Kid, you rule!!
  12. Essence Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Wow, have I been out of the loop. What the heck happened? Wha was this all about?

Whatever the case, it sounded like the message posted was to get peoeple riled up. Usually people who post like that get what they are looking for.

I guess I need to do some research!
  13. Essence Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Wow, have I been out of the loop. What the heck happened? What was this all about?

Whatever the case, it sounded like the message posted was to get peoeple riled up. Usually people who post like that get what they are looking for.

I guess I need to do some research!
  14. idarii Jedi Padawan

star 4
    if you do a search for "star wars kid" on any search engine (i can't seem to find the link that TFN had up) you'll find a bunch of sites like wired who ran articles on it. i guess the kid shot some martial arts video with a broom and accidentally left it in the a/v machine where someone he knew uploaded it to kazaa, then someone else (from what i gather) edited it to add the effects. i found an interview with the kid too, he seemed pretty cool about it ... in the interview at least.
  15. Tarr Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Here is an online petition to get the SWK a part in Ep. 3 Go sign it :p
    http://www.petitiononline.com/Ghyslain/
  16. ondiv Jedi Padawan

star 4
    ok, that is just too cool! I hope he gets a part :cool:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.