main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Dismemberment?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Palpatine77, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Palpatine77

Palpatine77 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 28, 2010
    Throughout the six prior Star Wars films to date every film had at least one dismemberment from a lightsaber, sometimes more than one. To mention just one from each film:

TPM: Obi-Wan cuts Darth Maul in half.
    AOTC: Mace Windu slices Jango Fett's head off.
    ROTS: Anakin slices Dooku's head off.
    ANH: Obi-Wan cuts the obnoxious cantina patron's arm off.
    TESB: Vader cuts Luke's hand off.
    ROTJ: Luke cuts Vader's hand off.

And again, some of the films have multiple lightsaber dismemberments, even in the PG rated films, and TFA is rated PG-13.

So going into TFA, I sort of went in expecting that a few things were guaranteed to happen: somebody is going to say "I have a bad feeling about this", somebody is going to say "May the Force be with you", we will hear a Wilhelm scream, and somebody is going to get something cut off in the film. Those are things that make up a Star Wars film, right? But I've seen the movie a couple times now, and I can't remember seeing a single dismemberment in the whole film. Did I overlook something, or were there really no lightsaber dismemberments at all? Unless I missed something here I'm kind of disappointed that JJ left this out.

2. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    A sliced spine tops any dismemberment as far as severity but not dramatcally

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  3. Phasma's Armor Polish

Phasma's Armor Polish Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 29, 2015
    Finn stabs a stormtrooper through the heart with his saber if that makes any difference.

It's refreshing to not see an arm chopped off, feels a bit to same old same old.

WatTamborWoo and Sarge like this.
  4. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Yes, this isn't a real Star Wars film because no one got their member lopped off.

5. Palpatine77

Palpatine77 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 28, 2010
    Yes there are some stabbings with a lightsaber, but that's not the same as a limb or head getting chopped off.

6. intravenusdemilo

intravenusdemilo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Haha. I know, right?!

7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The first time I saw the movie, I thought Kylo got his hand chopped off. There was something black laying on the ground next to him when he falls on his back. Upon second viewing, I see that both hands are intact, but the scene goes so quickly I'm not sure what it is I was seeing.

8. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I thought Rey slashed Kylos head clean off! I genuinely gasped and thought she had killed him!

9. james92rogers

james92rogers Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 23, 2015

Seeing Finn stab a trooper through the heart was pretty bad ass though/

I think Rey slices the end of Ren's lightsaber off at the end of their duel?