main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Disney and Fan Films...?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by RocketGirl, Jun 19, 2016.

1. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Why is there no search function for the forum? I'm sure this topic has been posted before!

Anyway, you know how George Lucas basically just looked the other way, copyright-wise, when it came to fan films? Well, what's Disney's policy, now that they own the franchise? Does anyone know?
    My Google-Fu has failed me, and all I find are articles speculating on the matter, without anything definitive.

I have managed to find official rules for the Star Wars Fan Film Awards, but I don't know how much that affects fan films that are not entered into the contest.

2. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    I think that they are keeping with the 'if you don't make money off it you're ok' line as there have been some quite high profile ones out in the last year and they haven't had lawsuits yet. I think as long as you don't start selling t shirts for a film and making millions of dollars of it you're ok.

RocketGirl likes this.
  3. RocketGirl

Jun 2, 2002
    Awesome, thanks. :)

I started a fan film back in 2007--all animated--but had to stop for various life-change reasons; starting it back up again. But I'd hate for it to all go to waste, with no one allowed/able to watch it, so...

Anyway, thanks. :)

PaulWrightyThen likes this.
  4. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    Get a trailer cut! Lets see it!

5. RocketGirl

Jun 2, 2002
    Oh, golly...I'm not sure you want to see a trailer; I've got one, but I'm kind of embarrassed by it now. My animation skills have gotten sooooo much better since 2007, and I'm going from toon-shaded (original) to photo-real instead.

I have one online, but it's blocked in some countries cuzza copyright. If you really want to see it, I'll post the link, but no guarantees (of liking it or watching it):

6. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    Yeah, blocked. :(

7. RocketGirl

Jun 2, 2002
    I really need to find a place where I can put this where it won't get blocked.

Let me try something else...I think this might not be blocked; I Just don't like showing it because it's longer, with commentary:
    I'll set it to start where the trailer begins.

8. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    High profile? I didn't hear about any? Did I miss something?

9. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016

Axxanar raised a few million through crowdfunding, but then they started selling merch, the company built a sound stage and started renting it out to 3rd party companies. Star Trek Continues looks exactly like the original series but has stayed on the RIGHT side of CBS/Paramount because they don't turn a profit but have tonnes of views on their videos.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  10. RocketGirl

Jun 2, 2002
    Wasn't there a big ol' cease-and-desist leveled at Axanar...?

And even if there wasn't, those aren't Star Wars fan films, and I'm much more worried about lawsuit-happy Disney than I ever would be about Paramount.

11. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    In terms of Star wars ones 'Kara' has had a lot of traction as has 'Rebel Scum'. They are probably the two biggest in the disney era.

12. RocketGirl

Jun 2, 2002
    Well, I hope to change that, and make "The Last Remnants" be the biggest. :D

PaulWrightyThen likes this.
  13. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    You're old trailer looked a lot of fun. Especially with you saying you've upped your game. Really looking forward to seeing the new one :)

14. RocketGirl

Jun 2, 2002
    Yeah...that trailer was, what, nine years ago? I'd like to think I'm better at what I do, now. :)

If you're curious, here'z something from three years ago:

And from earlier this year:

But that last one is more of a music video, and the one before it had no dialogue; this is from two years ago, and a bit more narrative:

So, yeah...I'm hoping I can do better with a fresh start on "The Last Remnants". :)

15. TimmerWeb

TimmerWeb Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2016
    I think thus far, no one has really tested the limits of what Lucasfilm would allow. A longer film with more core characters, maybe some of the original soundtrack, would perhaps garner a different kind of attention. This would be a shame though, because I think if the fan film community really banded together, it would be possible to make a near theatrical quality film, the technology and skills of the community are that sophisticated now I believe.

-Tim

16. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    My feeling is that we'll never really get an official "policy" out of Disney on this sort of thing. They seem like a company that doesn't like to give anything away if they can avoid it. Whereas George could say anything he wanted whenever he felt like it. I've a feeling that Lucas' old rules of thumb continue to be the guideline.

Put it this way, I've seen no evidence in the past few years of Disney cracking down on fan films, so hey.

Rick McCallum loves you!

17. RocketGirl

Jun 2, 2002
    Well, that gives me hope. I suppose.