main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Disney buying Lucasfilm????? Star Wars goes on?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ObiAlKenobi, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moorplant

Moorplant Jedi Master

Feb 26, 2004
    Disney brought Marvel studios in 2009 (and I was there for that fan hysteria as well). Paramount was basically a distribution deal for IM 1&2, Thor, Cap and Avengers (Universal distributed The Incredible Hulk), they never had anything to do with the content, just kept their name on the film because of prior contracts and got paid a fee (as you said). Marvel as a part of Disney hired Whedon et al and did all the production and marketing etc.

I am still trying to wrap my head around a non Lucas SW film but I guess it had to happen at some point.

2. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    OMG!!! I just realized who should direct the first new Star Wars films....

....Mike "Plinkett" Stoklasa!!!

[face_dancing]

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  3. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Wow, this news certainly pulled me out of my Star Wars fan semi-retirement.

Just like some others, I thought for a second it was April 1... We all know how much Lucas valued his independence and how many time he said the saga was over after Episode III. To say I was shocked would be an understatement. However, once I thought this over, it made perfect sense. Even if GL remained an independent until his death, his kids would have done the same thing. It's understandable Lucas wanted to do it on his own terms, from the position of strength. Also, as a creator, he can't be easily ignored and should have at least some amount of influence on the content of the movies (kind of like JK Rowling with the HP movies).

4. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I for one will be cautiously optimistic about this. On one hand, I think 6 movies are enough (in fact I think the original trilogy was enough, but that's a discussion for another day). On the other hand, it can't get any more embarrassing than was has come from Lucas' "vision," these past few years. So, I'm looking forward to someone who actually knows what he's doing taking control of a new trilogy.

5. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Creative consultant is an honorific title that he'd have even if he wasn't involved at all. It's about marketing, they have to say that Lucas is still somehow involved.
    Roddenberry was the creative consultat of the Star Trek series but he wasn't involved at all in the film series.

6. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    Consider the new movies as a totally different thing them.Not part of the Star Wars Saga.

7. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    The thing is, this was the idea BEFORE the unified Saga (one story told over several movies) was created.

I'm OK with that, as long as they don'tr ty to pretend that these new movies are part of the same Saga, the missing episodes 7-9 or anything like that.

8. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    13 hrs of 3PO & R2D2 and you want to put them in more films? Can we please get something TOTALLY new? Gosh!

9. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Let's hope so, reading some of these post make wish actorss from the OT would pass away.They should all decline!

oierem likes this.
  10. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    They link perfectly well. No reason for them to be added to. I just hope the new films feature 100 percent newness

11. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Now all the people that say they like ( some love ) star wars can fight over which trilolgy the hate the most PT or OT or ST.......( yay an extra trilogy to pick over )sad to say not much excitement from alot of people here on a site dedecated to starwars.
    it will be great when we get news on what the next trilolgy is about so those who wanna bitch and moan can set up a forum to do so and the resr of us can relish in excitement of spoilers, speculation,teasers and trailers.

I went to the original starwars in 1977 took my kids to TPM in 1999 and will be at "wtf" it is in 2015...and I will enjoy myself with my family so lets just take this news as the good thing it is.

Generations more will now get to see star wars and enjoy it.

12. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    That's what I'm saying please get rid of the stupid numbers & label the movies like batman. No More Episodes just Movies.

Samnz and oierem like this.
  13. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm sure it'll be given an episode number to give it legitimacy with the audience. I mean, one of the reasons TCW didn't do that well and was panned (despite impotent attempts to spin it as otherwise) is because it wasn't a "real" SW movie. I think treating this as a continuation is the best way to go. Tragedy of Darth Vader nonsense be damned.

Yunners likes this.
  14. sinkie

May 27, 2004
    I think I realized what my feelings are on the matter and I wrote this on another board:

For many of us, especially those raised in the OT days, this move effectively puts us on the road (we were probably already on...) to being like the old timers that grew up reading Superman in the single and double digit issues of Action Comics when he was being done by its creators Siegal and Shuster. We'll become historical relics, our lived experience something people might wonder about, poke around in archives to read about, find interesting, a few wishing they'd been there perhaps, most liking what they've got now, more variety, that "one particular film or storyline" that they think is cool or whatever. I'd say though that we were probably the lucky ones...heck I'd throw the PT generation in this description as well because they too thought they were seeing the one and only Saga. And now things have changed. This isn't a bad thing, it just means Star Wars moves from being odd or unique creator-controlled but still totally ubiquitous franchise to straight up ubiquitous franchise. I think I even wrote on some forum recently how one of the only things really separating SW from any other franchise was Lucas's oversight and involvement and sense of them being his and that the story was told. Sure there was the EU but that was always up for change, not quite-official-feeling for most. It was the films and it was the hype and the experience of them in theatres with crowds and months if not years of expectation. Now, the hype will remain for a bit, especially for the next film, maybe even one or two after that....then they'll become as common as Marvel films or a new Batman or Superman reboot or Star Trek or whatever. Still fun, still full of potential but never quite as unique and magical again. C'est la vie! I feel fortunate for sure to have experienced this franchise in the way I have. There will still be uber-fans down the road but they will be the exception rather than the rule, the rule will become the less intense but more frequent enjoyment and experience of something Star Wars, kids growing up into Star Wars but not necessarily being blown away because it will here and there and everywhere and constantly coming out with new bits entertainment. That's how I see this going anyway. And in case it sounds like I'm mad, I'm not. I'm just realizing that time stands still for no one and my childhood just got a little more precious to me maybe.

15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Roddenberry was heavily involved with TMP, and consulted on the characters and story of the middle trilogy:Treks 2/3/4. The films he wasn't involved with much were Trek's 5 and 6(due to his health).

sinkie, SW is everywhere now. The merchandise has been around constantly and nonstop for 12 YEARS. This is a ubiquitous franchise and has been for generations.

And I cannot think of a better way Lucas could have handled this passing of the torch than how he did.

It was classy and masterful.

I'm excited.

16. sinkie

May 27, 2004
    Yes, I acknowledged that, but it will lose an aspect that made it not just another ubiquitous franchise, this will continue and seal the deal on the change SW has been going through the last 12 years or so. Not a bad thing, not even something that could have been avoided since TCW, EU and promises of further properties was assured, but George's overall control and involvement kept it from becoming "just another" franchise, IMO.

Just finished watching AOTC with my kids. Couldn't help but think it could be the example of the type of films we'll get from Disney, though it was mostly the romance and action scenes that had me thinking this. So it is not necessarily a bad thing, my kids never ask questions during those scenes, only the political blah blah scenes. So that style with a more straight forward story might be ok.

17. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    It depends...if Disney tries to add on to the main 6, then...thats it for me, but if they make a totally new story not connected to the main 6 they have my full support.

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Even a story attached to the main 6 that is about passing on the torch?

19. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    If memory serves, Roddenberry had significant involvement in The Motionless Picture, but the end result induced Paramount to push him to the periphery.

20. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    [face_laugh]

:p

21. The Real Pheonyx

The Real Pheonyx Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Next thing that is going to happen is they are going to hire the person currently in charge of SyFy and turn Star Wars into a reality tv show.

22. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    Yeap, I meant that he didn't have anything to do with the film series AFTER the first one ;)

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    If they weren't calling the new movie Episode 7 (with 8 and 9 to follow), we wouldn't be referring to these as the Sequel Trilogy. But they are, so it seems the outcome (whether intentional on the part of Lucas, LucasFilm, and Disney or not) will be that the Saga will now be more than 1 through 6. They themselves almost seem to be confirming that it will no longer be "the Tragedy of Darth Vader". Whether it becomes "1 through 9" or "1 through X" (X being the number of the most recent post-9 movie released) remains to be seen. I personally hope that they can bring themselves to stop after 9, as Arawn Fenn said. One more trilogy would be OK, since they are obviously set on making more movies anyway... but to keep going after that just dilutes the whole thing and makes the release of every subsequent SW movie less of an event.

I grew up with the OT. I was happy with it. But I loved the PT films and I easily adjusted my view to see the Saga as 1 through 6. I also accepted the "Tragedy of Darth Vader" line, although I prefer the "Skywalker Saga" that the OS is apparently using now. But since they're making them anyway, I actually hope that these new movies do fit cohesively into the SW story overall, even if that means the Skywalker Saga just becomes a temporary reference to the OT while the ST is not yet complete. Unlike other franchises mentioned, I think SW is different and I think that when it comes to films (the EU novels, etc. are another matter) they need to all fit together.

24. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    It is pretty big news. Personally I'm looking forward to the new movies, I just wonder if the symbiotic way the six-movie saga is held together will be ruined. I see the prequels and originals as one, it will be interesting to approach the new films, and I hope they connect as well.

25. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Man what torch, Palpatine is dead. The socalled film is already 13hrs long & hard to follow with many new comers, now people are asking for 6.5 more hours to an already finished story? I don't like it. Its big enough as it is. Make something new already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.