main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Disney buying Lucasfilm????? Star Wars goes on?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ObiAlKenobi, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    I literally woke up to the news. I sleep with my TV on Fox News and woke up to these words about new Star Wars movies. I nearly JUMPED from my bed. lol

I am stunned too. "It's like something out of a dream" as Luke says.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Do we call this the ST now?

PT OT ST?

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Will this effect Star Wars The Clone Wars?

4. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Is it possible this has already been in the works and just kept under-wraps?
    I dont know if I am excited or scared for Episode 7. Too many unanswered questions, I think.

5. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Lol so now have Fox Star Wars fans vs Disney Star Wars fans? Way to draw that line in the sand bucko.

6. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    This is actually quite shocking news. I guess we'll see if Whedon gets to have a go or not!

7. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
  8. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Clone Wars is between Ep 2 and 3. I don't see how it could. These new movies will be after ROTJ most likely, with an elderly Luke passing on the torch, which Lucas himself already spoke about that long ago directly to Mark Hamill.

Or these new movies could be in the Old Republic era. I hope they are, eventually, since they said we'll be getting alot of new movies beyond 7, 8, and 9. I want to see Sith everywhere!!! Gods, Darth Talon on the big screen is a wet dream come true. [face_blush]

9. obiwanws2

obiwanws2 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 28, 2004
    I'm just extremely worried about new movies completely wrecking existing canon.

10. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    X-wing flybys spitting out fireworks like at the end of ROTJ???

11. Emuboy

Emuboy Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 7, 1999
    These movies are for children, so it makes sense for Disney to buy the company.

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Lucas finally said screw it. Oh well. The Blu-ray set was a great last hurrah. Not that new films can't or won't be decent adventure flicks (John Carter was rather enjoyable), but I suspect the introspective atmosphere that made me dig I-III so much will be thrown out the window if Lucas is merely "creatively consulting."

13. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  14. the-jedi-prince

the-jedi-prince Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2011
    this is potentially fantastic news
    Lucas has said before about a live action star wars series before and i believe this is what disney will make into star wars movies.
    it dosnt even have to be a new trilogy as it could be stand alone movies set between existing episodes.
    a lot was mentioned about boba fett in Lucas's shelved live action tv series and these could be made into films

15. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Calm down people.

We all knew this day would come. And it is smart, practical and only logical that George Lucas would ensure that Star Wars will live on after his death.

Lucasfilm has ALWAYS had very strong relations with Disney. Pixar (created by Lucas) has been owned by disney for some time now and LFL has partnered with disney many, many times before on SW projects. Lucasfilm still carry's George's name. Its still a very green company And Lucas himself is still a totally independent philanthropist.

"But Disney is a huge public corporation; wouldn't Lucasfilm and Star Wars get swallowed up somehow?" No. ABSOLUTELY NOT. The evidence is to the contrary. Look at the acquisition of Pixar, and more recently Marvel. While Disney has integrated some of their functions, both units have been given the kind of creative independence that has enabled them to flourish and continue the broad success that made them interesting to Disney in the first place. The Avengers, for example, was made after Disney acquired Marvel. It has become one of the most successful films of all time, and the franchise has never been stronger.

The Star Wars Saga is still George's story which has been completed since 2005 that he leaves behind for this world to enjoy and wonder about for decades after his death. The fact that George Lucas gave his blessing for more films to keep coming out so that SW lives on after his retirement and death is not that surprising and doesn't change anything from the past, it only makes the future a lot more fun.

*************** Now... ************

As for the ST it will almost defiantly be treated exactly as the "Old Republic" era stuff is. By that I mean it will be set FAR into the future. Far away from the films so they will finally have the true freedom they need in order to not contradict anything in George Lucas's Star Wars Saga (Episodes 1 through 6).

The ST will be set hundreds, maybe thousands of years in the future of the SW galaxy.

In fact, as of right now, the only thing the ST even has to do with SW is that it will be set in the same universe.

heels1785 likes this.
  16. venepe

venepe Jedi Master star 1

Feb 25, 2004
    I don't want to become a hater. But during the whole PT vs OT debate the only constant was that it was Lucas' vision. ESB was directed by someone else and it turned out great, so that is a point of relief, it could repeat itself. But George was there producing and editing, so it was still his vision. Now he will be there as creative consultant, but how much influence will he have?

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  17. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    The only concern I have is the continuity issues that might arise with all the EU novels...

18. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    If anything this is a very smart move by Lucas to finally end the OT being judged against the PT and unite the fan base. How?

There is no longer PT vs. OT.

George Lucas (at long last) eliminated that with this move. Instead now there is:

OS (Original Saga) vs. ST (sequel trilogy).

Now its the OS (Original Saga) that will be judged against the ST.

Brilliant.

=D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D=

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  19. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Has Lucas been setting us up for this for years with his strange 2012 ideas? ;)

Darth_Zandalor likes this.
  20. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Has it been stated that the sequel trilogy (I'll admit, I like the term) will take hundreds/thousands of years after episode 6?

I think too far out will turn a lot of people off. At least 30 years after ROTJ would mean all the living OT actors could return and they could introduce new characters as well. Personally, I'm hoping for something that HASN"T been done by the EU and that we see Luke, Han and Leia's futures as GL envisions them.

Have Luke in the old Ben role, Han and Lando as established New Republic officers and Leia as a Mon Mothma figure.

21. GrandAdmiralThrawn66

GrandAdmiralThrawn66 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 16, 2002
    I was merely a child when I first joined this site a decade ago, now I am a man with a career, responsibilities and worries; however the news that there will be more Star Wars makes me feel like an 8 year old boy all over again. That, in and of itself, is enough for me. I have hope, yes hope, that I will get a movie that keeps the childish glow on my face and lets me take 2 hours to time travel.

I cannot see what there is to worry about.

22. GrandAdmiralThrawn66

GrandAdmiralThrawn66 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 16, 2002
    I was merely a child when I first joined this site a decade ago, now I am a man with a career, responsibilities and worries; however the news that there will be more Star Wars makes me feel like an 8 year old boy all over again. That, in and of itself, is enough for me. I have hope, yes hope, that I will get a movie that keeps the childish glow on my face and lets me take 2 hours to time travel.

I cannot see what there is to worry about.

DarthKreVass and obi-rob-kenobi4 like this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    DT - Disney Trilogy.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  24. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Here we go again.

25. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    More Star Wars = More Awesomeness:cool:

colojedi7 and Anakin_Prime like this.