main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Disney buying Lucasfilm????? Star Wars goes on?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ObiAlKenobi, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I'm shocked and I'm frightened. I could see myself buying into this if the story of 7,8, and 9 didn't infringe on the Saga. However, if they try and bring back Han, Luke, Leia and the others, I will not be at all involved with this new project. If they try to tie in the sequels in the new Clone Wars tv show, I will be equally angry. However, with George as creative consultant, I'll trust what decisions he has made. I just don't want the story to be a cop out. Wow, you mean the Sith aren't dead? You mean that the Empire is back up and running despite the success and ultimate victory of the Rebels? So basically all the **** that came before didn't matter? Great movie. Yes, yes, I know that all this can be fanwanked, but I don't want new Star Wars movies to feel like a collective orgasm of fanboy ideas. I guess I'll summarize this by saying that if they have an original, GOOD idea for a new story, great. If they just try to copy and paste story elements, then eh.

I'm also very angry, because all the PT-Haters are jumping on the opportunity to fill the internet with "Star Wars is SAVED!" You'd think that the Emperor had just been defeated.

2. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    [face_laugh][face_rofl]

Exactly!

=D=:D

3. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Music by Hans Zimmer [face_plain]

4. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Why is Paramount releasing it? Are they Disney owned?

5. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    One word:

Thrawn.

6. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Actually, it would probably be Disney logo, as Paramount seized it's deal with Disney in 2012, but I'm just giving an example.

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    BTW, who now owns the distribution rights to the original Saga? Do we lose the Fox Fanfare at the start of any future SW re-releases (say the up and coming 3D releases) and can Disney now bring out the O-OT on Blu-Ray without Lucas's consent?

8. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    Just not one more word please: Vong...yuck!

9. sinkie

May 27, 2004
    If Disney is allowed to bring out the OOT on blu etc at least Lucas won't have to look like he caved. It will be their call. But somehow I doubt this is part of the deal, didn't someone say Fox still owns distribution?

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm still holding out hope that it's all a trick. Many will show up opening night after being promised Star Wars Episode VII: Balance of the Force, co-directed by Nolan and Whedon. But instead, after the lights go out and the main theme starts blaring and yellow text appears on the screen..

... Star Wars Episode VII: Jar Jar's Revenge, written and directed by George "HA HA" Lucas.

11. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Let's hope they are disconnected from my beloved OS Orignal Saga.

12. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    Eh. That's the thing. I don't want a Han/Luke/Leia centered story. If they do original characters in a different era, I'll be okay with it. If it's a Jacen/Jaina/Anakin/Ben story, that's awesome. It continues the traditions of the original saga. If it's Luke, Leia and the gang running around, I'm not so sure it'll be okay. Especially if they are played by different people. I dunno, it's too delicate of a situation to be okay right now.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  13. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I'm not too terribly concerned about this, nervous, yes, but I won't lose sleep over it. Reason being is that Disney and Lucasfilm have already had an agreement going for sometime, if any of you have been to the Disney parks, you'll see that Disney treats Star Wars with the utmost respect and reverence because they know that manhandling something which is so near and dear to so many people would be a huge mistake on their part and I sincerely doubt that Lucas would have anything to do with anyone who didn't take great care and effort in dealing with his work.

Another reason I'm not worrying is that things of this sort have happened before. I am a huge fan of the Star Trek franchise, have been for many, many years now, and a lot of people had the same worries when Star Trek The Next Generation came about. Many people were upset at first because it was different, nevermind the fact that it had been created by the original Star Trek creator, it wasn't what they had always known. Turns out that all but a small group of die hard fans wound up loving the new show and the other spinoffs. I'll also admit to being nervous with the 2009 reboot of Star Trek by JJ Abrams and I am happy to say that I was wrong about that too.

I am almost certain that this new trilogy will be just as good, if not better than, what we have already seen. GL has a hand in this, some new writers (presumably fans) will be working on the storytelling, and I'll probably be in line opening day as long as it's not "Star Wars Episode VII: How Jabba Got His Groove Back" or "I Now Pronounce You Han And Lando". Both Disney and GL know what their audiences want and expect and aren't fool enough to give us a steaming pile of dog crap and pretend that we can't tell the difference between it and a filet mignon. To quote another sci fi franchise which I am a fan of (and which Disney also owns to some degree): "Don't panic."

DarthKreVass and KED12345 like this.
  14. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Dupe post, sorry folks!

15. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Let's hope they are disconnected from my beloved OS Orignal Saga.

16. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    I have a hard time thinking they will just grab an EU storyline and make it into 3 feature length films. Not saying that EU characters won't be in the movies, but I have to imagine the storyline will be something completely different. But you never know, it's all speculaiton at best right now...

I just still have that creeping feeling, More Star Wars for the sake of More Star Wars is, to me at least, not a good thing...

17. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I think its time for a new Star Wars Theme song. All the new movie should have a new theme & new composer.

18. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Just remember though, this is the same studio that gave us Pirates. I am not saying they were bad movies, they were entertaining to a point, but they weren't anywhere close to the story telling experience of Star Wars.

Lucas is creative consultant, he is a creative consultant for the Clone Wars Cartoons, I don't see him having much control in the actual story...

19. sinkie

May 27, 2004
    This is, in a way, a twist of one of Lucas's original intentions with Star Wars: to create a universe for others to play in. I remember reading an interview he gave waaaaay back when where he said he hoped other filmmakers would like to take a spin and tell a story or two with his universe. He even said that the stories wouldn't happen in any chronological order. Someone might choose to tell a story a 1000 years before Luke blew up the Death Star, someone else something that happens during ANH in another part of the galaxy etc and so on. So he's really only just doing this....and raking in 4 billion at the same time. At least if others screw it up no one can point the finger at GL for micromanaging anymore. Doesn't sound like that is part of the deal.

20. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    I never said anything of the sort sir.

21. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    So, an Episode VII in 2015, to be followed by VIII and IX (featuring the futher adventures of Luke and the original heroes - with the original actors?), which will in turn be followed by even more (one-off?) films in the future - check.

Lucas has handed off his story ideas for the sequel(s) and will continue on as a consultant - check.

Disney says they are excited about adding live action SW to their collection of television properties - check.

I was disheartened when I heard that George had allowed a minority group of vocal critics to scare him off from the idea of exploring any further SW films, but it now seems as though this wasn't the case. It is sad to think LucasFilm is no longer an independent, but here George has signed-off on a very lucrative deal which will ensure the long-term survival of the franchise. I am having mixed emotions to be sure, but call me crazy - part of those emotions include a very real excitment for the possibilities of the future!

DarthKreVass likes this.
  22. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    Eh. That's the thing. I don't want a Han/Luke/Leia centered story. If they do original characters in a different era, I'll be okay with it. If it's a Jacen/Jaina/Anakin/Ben story, that's awesome. It continues the traditions of the original saga. If it's Luke, Leia and the gang running around, I'm not so sure it'll be okay. Especially if they are played by different people. I dunno, it's too delicate of a situation to be okay right now.

23. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    That is a valid concern. But all we know thus far is "Disney now owns SW and Lucas is a 'creative consultant'." we know nothing else outside of that. We haven't the slightest idea how much creative control GL will be given, how much of it will be done by committee, or if GL will just chime in with the occasional "Ya know, I think Stormtroopers shooting lasers out of their eyes is a bit much, tone it a down a bit" before going back to counting his money. It is just too early to tell these things and so we cannot say for sure just how good or bad this will be. I prefer to be in the "Let's hope for the best and be thankful we have something" camp for the time being. Having been here before, I find that it's usually the best camp to be in until more details are known.

24. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Michael Bay would be perfect for the next Starwars movie! It should feature a love story between a Wookie & a Gungan & how their forbiding love could ruin the galaxy. They should have Jedi who look like Ninjas & busty twe lik girls in all the bar scenes. This is what star wars needs.

Darth_Zandalor likes this.
  25. DarthVengeant

Oct 14, 2004
    Not me. I'd love that!!!

26. sinkie

May 27, 2004
    I just hope we get to see Harrison and Carrie get married in a small space chapel!

Now who should be the best man...Chewie or Luke or does Luke need to give Carrie away?

27. DarthVengeant

Oct 14, 2004
    Uhh...no. Bay would ruin it within one second.

Dorme likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.