main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Disney Buys LucasFilm: Star Wars 7 Planned To Release 2015

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by jaoblias, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    I feel I have to speak up on the subject of Marvel being owned by Disney and people crediting the success of recent Marvel movies to Disney. Now I may be wrong in this but I think one of the conditions to the acquisition of Marvel by Disney is that the movies studious that hold the rights to specific Marvel titles such as Fox with the X-men, Columbia Tristar with Spider-man and so on would retain the rights to those movies so long as they continue making films which is why there has been a rush to get scripts into the pipeline. Once they stop making films the rights would then revert back to Disney who could then do what ever they wanted with them including selling the rights to another studio. I think this may have included the Marvel owned and produced films like Iron Man, Cpt America, Thor and the Avengers which is why by the time avengers was in final production they had plans for Iron Man 3, Thor 2, CA 2 and possibly a Hulk movie already in pre-production.

Now while Disney has taken a hands off approach to much of the mangement and everyday business of Marvel and Pixar it appears from much of the announcement today that they have definite plans to be involved in much of Star Wars and crafting new stories for the brand. Haven't heard what their plans are for the other divisions they purchased such as ILM and Skywalker Sound or even what it means for licensing. I am sure Hasbo is sweating bullets right now as well.

2. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    One does not simply walk into Disneyland. Its pink gates are guarded by more than just guys in Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse costums. There is evil there that does not sleep. The great Ears are ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with rollercoasters, candies and way to expensive merchandise. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten-thousand fans could you do this. This is silly! -- Boromir in The Fellowship of the Ring, maybe slightly modified by Adrian the Cool

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    At least they aren't calling it Blue Harvest . . . yet.

4. Darth_Antagonista

Darth_Antagonista Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2003
    Star Wars: Episode 7 - The Abandonment of a Franchise.

5. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    could be worse

platinum dunes could have got it

Chewgumma likes this.
  6. LazyJC22

LazyJC22 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    Also my first post here in a long, long time. I'm not a huge Disney fan, but they're certainly big enough to handle taking over the SW franchise, and I don't know who else could have.
    Bottom line, my daughter will be four years old when Episode 7 comes out, and she'll have Star Wars as a part of her childhood as I had it in mine. For no other reason than that, I'm thrilled by today's news.

GreedoCMZ likes this.
  7. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    This properly reflects my feelings at the moment:

8. LazyJC22

LazyJC22 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    sorry, double post

9. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Did it ever occur to some of you that the new movies might be good? A lot of you hate Lucas anyway,so you should be glad he is not directing. I, personally , liked the prequels. The idea of seeing episodes 7-9 is something I wanted to see since I was a kid back in the late 70's.

10. wookie012

wookie012 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2005
    the 1st time ive been here in 7 years . all i can is a big woooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooo . a new star wars movie coming , cannot wait . As someone who grew up with original trilogy ive seen alot of change in star wars over the years . but glad its back . front runners for directing new films . peter jackson ? christopher nolan ?

11. darthgator1217

Apr 25, 2005
    Troll

12. SunshineSlayer

SunshineSlayer Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    I can't believe all the negativity. I feel like saying hallelujah! Hasn't just about everyone waited for the day that Star Wars and Indy for that matter were out of Lucas' hands? Just because its Disney, doesn't mean that it is going to be kiddified anymore than the Star Wars movies already were anyways. In fact, look back over Disney's catalog, there are some pretty dark "kids" movies in there. Lucas Arts and Disney have had good collaborations in the past. And best of all? Now people like Joss Whedon, Peter Jackson etc, will have the opportunity to write/direct these movies. Whoever gets attached to work on a Star Wars movie from now on, will have without a doubt been mega fans of the original films themselves. I consider that safer than Lucas releasing another film himself.

I don't see this news as anything other than positive.

Lord_Axle likes this.
  13. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    oh they'll be good alright,

what age group is another matter :p

sorry just echoing the ignorant \"oh noes not Disney, dis meens Miley sirus with a lightsaber nooooo" sentiment

14. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010

riiiggghtt for not knowing a Kevin Smith

i'm a troll

love backwards logic

15. darthgator1217

Apr 25, 2005
    I too was a bit sad that Lucas was leaving the franchise. Good can come from this. There is a lot of talent out there. This could be great or it could suck. We'll start getting a better idea over the next year.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  16. Slaign

Slaign Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2008
    I wanted to add: Be careful here. Remember, we aren't talking about facts here. Don't get so involved in your own thoughts and opinions that you take offense to someone else feeling differently. None of us can know what's going to happen. We can take cues from history, but that's not a road map to the future. Don't be so sure that this is a good thing that you get angry at people who badmouth the idea. They just don't have a good feeling about it. Similarly, don't be upset if you don't think this is good for Star Wars, and other fans really do. They just feel excited for change.

The safest position to take is a wait and see approach. Again, we can't know, so we'll see what happens in the coming years and we can make judgements on it then.

On a personal note, however it turns out, I'm personally excited because I feel like you can't win without taking a risk. Lucas obviously didn't really want to work with the IP much more. He's said over and over he wasn't very interested in continuing on with the features. Even if things don't turn out well, at least we have a chance at a new great Star Wars film. Before, that didn't seem like a possibility at all.

I'm personally not someone who thinks the good entries in a series can be ruined by new entries. To me, if I hate something new, it doesn't diminish the things I love. I'm perfectly capable of allowing the things I love to stand alone, and continue loving them. So I'm not concerned Disney will ruin Star Wars for me. I understand if some people don't feel that way though.

Trimaj likes this.
  17. darthgator1217

Apr 25, 2005
    Please not Jackson! Sorry, but he is not the right person to direct these! LOTR is a totally different animal.

18. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

Sistros likes this.
  19. DamienK

DamienK Jedi Master

Apr 18, 2006
    Well said. I'll still love the EU stories. Maybe this will turn out good.

20. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Star wars? New films in theatres? This site just went to the top of my everyday must check list.

So excited about the possibilities but I don't believe the new films will be a true sequel trilogy. Time for new adventures in a new age.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I feel that the story was complete, and ended on a high. If this is an Episode VII, how will it tie into the saga before it?

I don't think the series will be dumbed down by Disney. Look at Pirates 2/3. Those aren't high flying kiddie movies. They are goddamn grim for Disney. But I am worried that Star Wars will be diluted by adding more and more and more films.

All good things must come to an end. I found ROTS to be an immensely satisfying conclusion. It came back to the original.

I think they should make a distinction between 1-6 and 7 onwards. Darth vader is dead and gone, and he tied the 6 films together.

22. Fish On The Sand

Fish On The Sand Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    The Saga was ONE STORY told over 6 films. Will these new films strive to create an equally exciting unified story, or will they be random sequels pumped out every 2 to 3 years just to “satisfy the masses” and rake in the dough? Also, I seriously hope they do NOT recast Han, Luke, and Leia. And overriding the hundreds of novels/comics would be a HUGE negative as well. Perhaps they could incorporate bits of post-ROTJ EU? These new films seem to lack a UNIFIED vision, which was probably the best thing about the Star Wars Saga. One man’s vision made Star Wars special and set it apart from average blockbuster fare. Hopefully they do get a tight storyline, but I'm worried about the bit where Disney plans on adding even more films after the new trilogy every two to three years. Seems like a neverending adding of films, I really hope it's more of a contained, solid story.

Time will tell, but the ONLY silver lining I see in this is that Lucas will be “Creative Consultant” and his story drafts will be used in the brainstorming process. Hopefully George can prevent this from becoming a disaster, he is truly our only hope...Or perhaps "there is another?" I fear the worst but genuinely hope this becomes something spectacular.
    Hrrmm..now we know why Lucasfilm is speeding up those theatrical re-releases! A new film is on its way in 2015! “I have a bad feeling about this.” But I still have faith in Lucas himself.

23. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    yeah..as much as i love Star Wars i didn't long for more movies because i felt it was complete. it seems like any future movies would just recycle jedi vs. Sith over and over again.
    and as much as the prequels have been bashed they still felt like Star Wars to me. i wonder if that will be true with other directors and writers.

24. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm not sure how I feel about one movie , but making one every few years is pushing it too much for my taste.

25. Slaign

Slaign Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2008
    As far as what Ep 7 will be, who know? If I had to guess, I'd say they'll do what they do with the Marvel films. Likely they will build stories based upon the existing lore in the EU, like the built the stories in the Marvel movies on past comic book arcs. Still, these will likely be different from the exact stories we know and love. I imagine they will take inspiration from the EU like Marvel movies take inspiration from comics, but not take the script directly from the EU.

Honestly, I'm OK with that, mostly. I could deal with it if they decided to make the film and EU universes separate but similar and connected like they do with Marvel. I do really like Star Wars having one unified lore, but I can see how that's restrictive, and I've already accepted enjoying stories in different medias independent of each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.