main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Disney Buys LucasFilm: Star Wars 7 Planned To Release 2015

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by jaoblias, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ani is my homeboy

Ani is my homeboy Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    No vision brother I'm looking for a man whose got the balls to see something new if you can show me a director/writer with a lot of imagination and can appeal with humor and class and not spit out prepacakged Hollywood crap, yeah I'm new to that star wars game but I've read my fair share of fantasy and sic-fi and I wanna see the Jedi go to some wild places my man so if joss isnt your bag then tell me what the new story is gonna be

2. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    I would hope that any new director they bring in has some areas where he wants to change some of the look and feel of Star Wars. I don't mean a darker film or darker subject matter but some what less sterile brightly lit hallways on starships that look brand new for a struggling and on the run rebellion always seemed a tad out of place. I would like to see a more rugged look to any new films. Something like what they talked about in this Bounty hunters live action Tv series. More seedy underbelly than sparkly technology.

Ani is my homeboy likes this.
  3. Slaign

Slaign Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2008
    Unfortunately I don't think Whedon is an option for a 2015 release, because Avengers 2 comes out that year, he'll be rather busy.

4. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I had to return from my long absents at word of this news. I still can't wrap my head around it. GL giving up control of SW? And Disney acquiring ILM & Skywalker Sound? That there will really be a 7-9 after a decade of GL assure us SW ended with ROTJ? This has literally turned the SW world up on-end.

What surprises me the most isn't that they are making 7-9 (though it is shocking), it's that Disney has stated they will keep releasing movies after Ep. 9 indefinitely!!!!! I don't know how I feel about that. I really don't. Part of me thinks this is a mistake. What made SW special was the limited quantity of theatrical material (six movies over 28 years given the scope of story and popularity is limited). Opening the flood gates could drain the series of all uniqueness and spark. But on the other hand, I still watch (and enjoy) Star Trek and James Bond, so who knows.

Oh... wait, as I was typing this I had a distributing vision... the Disney opening in place of the Fox fanfare. AAAH!!! :eek:

BoromirsFan likes this.
  5. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Joss Whedon is directing the Avengers 2.

I think someone who knows Lucas personally should direct. Like Spielberg or Johnson.

I liked Serenity a lot. Avengers was good, but it was a crowd pleasing fun film. There was no meat to the film.

Star Wars isn't just about explosions, fight scenes and spectacle. There is a story underneath all of it. Thats what has made star wars special. There was genuine heart at the core of the saga

6. Slaign

Sep 5, 2008
    I'd guess it would be the Touchstone opening, actually. I'm not sure of that, but it seems to make sense.

7. _ThatJediScum_

_ThatJediScum_ Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2005
    My jaw is still on the floor. The only thing I *know* is that the EU is toast. If this new movie is post-ROTJ, I feel like all of the EU is now infinities, and we are getting a reboot. I like a lot of the EU, but having it be infinities wouldn't make me like it less. But I do feel like anyone going into these new movies expecting EU characters and storylines need to slow down on that line of thought. I'm curious but apprehensive.

I think this will be a Prequel redux. So many people are going to get their hopes up about these movies being the Star Wars they have imagined in their heads for 20+ years, and when it turns out to be something they didn't imagine, it will be massacred and torn to pieces.

bran

8. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Ooooooh, the fans will be merciless if they don't like they next film. But some obscure film-maker in New Zealand managed to please the hyper-demanding Tolkein fans (who had been around for many years before SW ever happened) with his films. So, there's always hope.

9. Ani is my homeboy

Oct 30, 2012
    I agree whole heartedly, but remaining mired in the past with director that knew Lucas won't necessarily produce what we're looking for, Peter Jackson would be dope but im sure he's occupied for....well ever really. I think new blood should be brought in del toro will do nicely pan's labyrinth was well conceived and executed, and his creds are a mile long. The originals were something no one thought possible in the 70's doesn't the franchise deserve to be the harbinger of new era in filmmaking now?

10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I don't know what to think of this... The Prequels were a horrid experience as a fan (imo)

Hopefully they get back to what we love...REAL sets, REAL locations and GOOD acting! :cool:

Ani is my homeboy likes this.
  11. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Touchstone opening would be better. Still, no Fox Fanfare :_|

12. HanJones

HanJones Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    Let's wait and see. Kathleen Kennedy is leading on this. First indication of how this will go will be who they get to write the story and screenplay. Next will be the director. Then casting. Before you start crying doom, be sure the sky really is falling.

SamiS likes this.
  13. khuddle

khuddle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 17, 2008
    Which is the most important stage. In my dreams its George RR Martin. In reality, its someone else. Just no Paul Dini, please.

14. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    P.s -it's good to be back!

Like a few other fans have already mentioned -I had almost closed the book on Star Wars! Here's hoping all those things I/we wanted to see from the Prequles come to life this time around!

Banged up ships! Worlds that look like they are LIVED in! The Empire!! (Yeah I know :D)

15. Ani is my homeboy

Oct 30, 2012
    Amen brother this is gonna be bomb

16. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I hate being "that guy" you know, the negative one, but seriously, I've supported GL since the late 70s, or more correctly: supported Star Wars. Even through the prequels and the TCW. I've held many a debate with my old school friends on why the prequels are just as good as the originals and why the should be considered part of the classics. However with this last move of GL, I can no longer defend "Star Wars".

First off, can you imagine sitting in a theater, waiting for a Star Wars movie to start, and instead of seeing the 20th Century Fox intro you see the Disney Castle? Instead of: "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away" you see "Star Wars... Staring X actor, produced by X person, directed by X guy.."? Does this bother you in the least bit? Maybe not all of you, but some. I know TCW movie didn't start that way (it was Warner Bros) and it DIDNT have a Star Wars feel to it. It's these slight nuances that make Star Wars, Star Wars..

I'm tired of hearing the "Avengers" reasoning. Wake up. The Avengers DIDNT exist as a movie already, there was nothing to compare it to. Star Wars has existed before Disney took over, I'm not sure how bringing a comic book movie to the big screen as anything to do with bringing Star Wars to the big screen since it's already been done.

Also the tired argument of "Lucas screwed up the prequels" doesn't hold up. At least Lucas had one focused dream. Granted it wasn't always what YOU wanted, but it all came from his head. Announcing a film in 2015? With what story? I believe Lucas started writing Star Wars in 1974, from then to now we've had 6 films. Yet Disney can pump out one in 2 years?! I see TREMENDOUS quality control there.

I never want to question peoples "fandom", but being all "giddy" that there is going to be a "Star Wars 7" is like the equivalent of letting Disney throw crap at a movie screen and call it a Star Wars movie. If you want to be optimistic fine, but be REALISTIC. Assuming Disney is going to come in and pump out "Instant Star Wars Classics" is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

I think we all know there are two Star Wars fan groups: Those who only like the originals and hate the prequels and those who like all of them. I see from this new buyout a third group being formed: "The Disney Era".. Again, I want to be optimistic. In some perfect universe they might be epic, awesome films, but the odds are against it. We'll have to wait and see.

No matter who you are, you have to agree that the "Original" or "Classic" era of Star Wars is over. This is a new era. Whether it is good or bad remains to be seen...

17. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    I think it's very strange that Disney now owns Lucasfilm and Star wars. I wonder how many years episode 7 will be after episode 6. Who will the main characters be?

18. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    I have a very bad feeling about this...

19. ObiWanandonly

ObiWanandonly Jedi Padawan

Sep 23, 2012
    I think Spielberg should be all over this. Although it would be a huge undertaking, we're talking like 8 or 9 years, at least that's how long the prequel trilogy took. I'm optimistic towards Disney, though. They have done well by Marvel, and it's helping reimagine their place in filmmaking. While 2015 seems like an unlikely timeline, remember now how much more resources they have at their disposal for making films now. I think they can do it.

20. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    My Step daughter who is eight says to me tonight when i tell her Disney bought Star wars. "Oh cool so they will show the movies now on the Disney Channel?" Yep they will.

Crazy AT-AT likes this.
  21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    They are basically making a new saga, since the Original 6 was re-named Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga

22. Slaign

Sep 5, 2008
    I know it won't be Whedon because he's on Avengers 2, but still I have to defend the idea as a Whedon fan. I find it a bit of a low blow to say "Star Wars isn't just about explosions, fight scenes, and spectacle," because that isn't Whedon's strong suit anyway. Whedon doesn't rely on that stuff. You might be thinking of Micheal Bay.

Whedon's strength is character and world, which are the key power elements of Star Wars. Whedon is also a master of the ensemble cast, keeping the nuances of characters all working together in a clockwork of storytelling. That's also important for Star Wars. Granted, his feature films don't display this as much as his TV work does, but it's still there. One of the major reasons people loved Avengers is the way the characters (beautifully acted by their respective actors/actresses) played off each other, and that is very much Whedon's hand. Serenity was more action heavy than Firefly, but it wouldn't exist without Firefly, which was (posthumously) successful because of it's excellent character work.

But of course, to really see him shine, you have to look at his TV work. I know a lot of people judge Buffy/Angel because of it's content and vibe, but it really does have excellent character work. Firefly is a master class in character.

That's why, knowing that Whedon is tied up in Avengers when the Star Wars film is slated to release, I hope they put him on a Star Wars TV series. He'd be absolutely perfect for the live action series they've been talking about. Remember the last thing we heard about the live action series being difficult cause they didn't know where to find the money to make it? Guess what isn't a problem anymore.

23. GreedoCMZ

GreedoCMZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 13, 1999
    Agree with every sentiment here. And some of it I said earlier. But, yes, they definitely need to make sure they don't create a Star Wars movie glut. Keep it special, rather than pulpy.

24. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005

I agree 100%. Gald to see fans out there like you...

This is my exact feeling. To me the Avengers, Lord of the Rings, Batman, etc, are "just movies". Star Wars is a way of life.. Star Wars is far rooted in our culture (and cultures around the world) as more than "just films". They need to be honored as such and anything less is an insult.

25. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This is likely to be straight Disney, like Pirates of the Caribbean...and John Carter. They don't relegate stuff like this over to Touchstone anymore. They'll definitely proudly slap Walt's name and Sleeping Beauty's castle on this new acquisition.
    I remember in the mid-'90s reading that the studios had to bid for distribution rights for the prequels, as it wasn't just automatic that Lucasfilm was going to use 20th Century Fox. I hoped to heck Fox got it because I couldn't imagine a movie without that theme. Now, I don't really care about that sort of detail. I don't think I could anticipate anything else quite like I did the Prequels. The SW universe is so much bigger now than it was in even 1999 and we get new this and that every year. At that time, fan films were hard to come by so seeing Troops provoked feelings of giddiness almost like watching a new movie.
    That theme is connected to STAR WARS like the main John Williams theme. I would like to think anyone else in my generation use to stop whatever we were doing if we heard it on a movie, but were slightly letdown when it turned out it wasn't the start of SW. Back then, the "CinemaScope Extension" part of the theme was rarely used so we quickly knew something else was starting.
    By the way, what exactly does this mean for what Fox is licensed now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.