main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Disney is focusing too much on the past.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Unkar's Muffins, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    I feel like Disney is spending too much time on the past. Rebels is the past. Rogue One is the past. TFA had a lot of stuff from the past. Han Solo movie will be the past, again. Boba Fett movie will be the past, again. It's making the franchise feel a little stale if they continue this much longer. We've had plenty of Vader, but they want to revisit him again in Rogue One. Solo dies, but they want to bring him back in prequel. I think Disney needs to take a risk and start just moving totally forward. Stop focusing so much on the past. Think about all the examples of the past I just gave. Disney is not being creative or risk taking with all the past focus.

2. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    It does seem like their interest falls into a very narrow range. From the end of ROTS to a little after ROTJ, with a hole between ESB and ROTJ. Then 30 years of nothing. Then picking up right before TFA.

Marketing-wise, it seems really weird that we would go the next two years without seeing the super-Jedi of the future swing a lightsaber. Seems like there should be some kind of product — video game, Lego set, miniseries — glorifying Rey's Jedi powers and fighting skills in a way that goes beyond her fight with Kylo. At least, if the timeline will at all allow it.

ObiWanKnowsMe and Dinos4Ever like this.
  3. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    I doubt they'll do anything later in the time line until after Ep IX. Just a hunch.

ObiWanKnowsMe and Dinos4Ever like this.
  4. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    There is no such a thing as ''past'' in the Star Wars universe.

5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    With the new trilogy of actual 'Saga' films only just underway, and a great deal of the details about the state of affairs in the GFFA at that time still something of a mystery, exactly what sort of storylines should otherwise be pursued for spin-off films being produced in between?

While the OT was being made, the only spin-off novels released (with the exception of the very early Splinter of the Mind's Eye in 1978 - based on an early idea for a low-budget SW sequel before it had become successful) were the Han Solo and Lando Calrissian adventures, which were set prior to the OT. Reason being, they wouldn't interfere, spoil or contradict the 'real' SW stories yet to be told.

Disney's just following the same line of thinking with the spin-off films, & TFA is hardly focused on the past to the extent that's being suggested.

6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I was quite honestly sort of fearing the whole "ANH rehash" thing before seeing TFA. I was pleasantly surprised when my fears were assuaged
    And equally surprised by all the hate it gets for it

If anything, I feel TPM has more parallels to ANH. Don't credit me for this observation of the fandom (I unfortunately can't recall which of us said this) _ if GL does it, it's poetry. If someone else does, it's an uninspired rehash (damn, now I want some hash browns)

It's only natural to see characters from the previous trilogy in large roles. As Obi-Wan was in the PT, he had an essential role in ANH. Same with Han now. It would be (in my opinion as an aspiring storyteller at least) weak writing were characters like Han or Chewie to just vanish

Sure, TFA goes overboard with some things - like a two second gag of the training remote or the out of nowhere cameo of the holographic board game - but honestly, one could argue things like the AOTC younglings training with visors and remotes is a pointless reference. And I don't see too many complaints there

Regardless, I feel TFA is generating some double standards from a lot of angles. I knew from the beginning it would be quite divisive, but I've never seen a movie cause so much chaos among both the fandom and casual moviegoers. Astounding

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    There may be many similarities between the plots of TPM and ANH, but the narrative framework in TPM mirrors that of ROTJ.
    TFA mirrors the narrative framework of ANH and all of its major plot points.
    Since it simultaneously summarizes and remixes the major plot themes of both preceding trilogies, thereby functioning as a sort of recap, I personally don't see that as a problem. I certainly understand why some of us do, though.

With the Anthology movies and Rebels, there is a clear tendency towards the pre-ANH period. While I can see why they'd want the younger generations to familiarize themselves with that era, I do not appreciate their pulling the plug on TCW. That show was just getting to some really interesting stuff and several major characters' fates were left unresolved. It's an incomplete series and I lament that.

While we're on the subject, I'd love to get some Old Republic adventure! Movie, trilogy, TV series, anything!

8. smittyjaja

smittyjaja Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2016
    After they finish the current announced films (up to Boba Fett) and the comics that will probably continue up to Return of the Jedi (or further?) they should go to The Old Republic with some new characters.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    It IS "a long time ago..." (Wockawocka)

Dude, this is all just getting started.

wat?

10. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

I feel like TFA is sort of a mash-up of themes and elements from throughout the OT. The young, naive Force prodigy in the desert, leaving in the Millennium Falcon: ANH. An ending with Luke brought low, but found by a Force-sensitive woman in the Falcon: ESB. A lightsaber battle on a superweapon as it comes under attack: ROTJ. Key information hidden in a lone droid, then revealed in a pre-battle briefing: ANH. Seeking refuge at a friend's place of business, only to come under enemy attack: ESB. Han leads an infiltration to drop the shields of the final target: ROTJ.

But what really happened was, people saw a big, round superweapon that destroys planets, and we got locked into the "They copied ANH" meme. Which is true as far as it goes, but it's also an oversimplification.

11. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I think Disney is prioritizing the new trilogy, and creating post-RotJ material now could harm it, either by spoiling it, or by introducing contradicting elements. Also, pre-TFA / post-RotJ movies would have some major casting issue...

Once Ep 9 out of the way, i think we will have more material covering that era.

12. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I think Disney has a vision for Star Wars far beyond anything we can comprehend at this point. So being mired in the past to start it all off seems logical.

If for nothing else than from a pure business perspective, why spend time creating and producing new stuff when you can still make billions off of the old stuff? And then make more billions later on when the new stuff inevitably comes out.

Eternal_Jedi and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  13. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    Disney's primary problem isn't the sole focus on the OT era, it's the fact that nothing can be a big deal. The reason why Thrawn, Yuuzhan Vong,... felt important is because they were the driving force of the universe, all of Disney's stuff most of which I really, really like lacks this because you know nothing of major importance can happen in this time span because the movies were what matters most again. Making all their stuff fun or brilliant stories throwaway side tales that can't have any bigger importance, because they're not the movies.

At least by setting things further in the past you can make stories and events happen that are of at least historical importance for the larger universe.

Dameron likes this.
  14. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Disney decided to please the fans. This was there response to George Lucas in regards to the original story for episodes 7 through 9.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  15. Hilal

Hilal Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 2, 2015
    Disney wants to make money.
    Consider how much of the public and how many people on this site only liked IV and V, of course that's what they're going to focus on.

16. MauiMisfit

MauiMisfit Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    You can't tell future stories due to the fact that the canon hasn't really been established.

17. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Source?

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

18. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    There is so much to be explored from RoTS - ANH. Plus, Old Republic era is huge gold mine waiting to be explored.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  19. Hilal

Hilal Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 2, 2015
    lol have you been in CT forum?

20. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    In specific, I'm referring to statistics, something I would very much like to hear. From what I've seen, most people on this board have no ANH/TESB only bias

21. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Why can't they go WAY far back into the past? The ancient times? Jedi/Sith wars, tell the story of Darth Bane and how the rule of two was established. Or how about come up with an original Darth Plageius story? Maybe some prequels spinoffs? Qui-Gon spin off with him and a younger Dooku as his master?

It just seems like they are far too stuck in that time period between ROTS and ANH. The first two spinoffs are literally taking place within 5 years of each other with no saga movies separating them. The third spinoff is LIKELY going to take place in that same era (between 3 and 4). To me, that is far too narrow for my tastes given the vastness of the galaxy and the saga.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Saga Explorer likes this.
  22. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    what was GL's plans for the sequel trilogy? i've always wanted to know this

23. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Solo dies? He was killed off in the Disney movie? I don't really care what Disney does. I like Rebels because it's the Animated counterpart of the OT and the Filoniverse sequel to TCW. As far as the films I got 1-6 so I'm good there. If Disney does some films in PT-TCW-Clone Wars era, I may redbox them just see how cool they are, but I won't view them as canon or non canon. I would never own a Disney Star Wars film. Just the 6 the Mr Lucas made with Fox.

DeltaRecon226 likes this.
  24. MauiMisfit

MauiMisfit Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2015

I think they will, eventually.

But, splitting timelines into two new and different eras like that might be really confusing to the average movie goer.

Plus, it seems like Disney is attempting to distance themselves a bit from a lot of the fluff created in the prequels (midichlorians, chosen one, rule of two). I don't think they are outright cancelling it, but not really playing it much lip service.

If Snoke is Darth Plageius - then I think they will work the cancellation of the rule of two into it.

25. KaleeshEyes

KaleeshEyes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    Part of it is they are trying to market these to people who are more casual sort of fans, the sort who don't care about Darth-whoever from ages ago. By making the anthology films they are telling the stories of characters that far more people care about.
    You can't do the future because that's where the big films are, and the time before TPM contains little in the way of characters people care about. There's no Han or Boba from that era.
    And yes I'm sure they are trying to distance themselves from the m*********** (refuse to say that), the rule of two, the chosen one etc.
    A lot of people didn't like the chosen one because is made The Force seem like an organised religion (and diminished Luke's character), whereas one appeal of it was that there was no 'Jesus figure'. And by getting rid of the microscopic organisms they would be returning to the original idea that strength in the force was based mainly on belief, not on some scientific trait.
    When you consider these things it pretty much leaves Disney with the time between RotS and SW is pretty much the only time they have left to deal with. I suppose TCW could have kept going but I think it would have probably died a natural death soon enough anyway.