main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Disney is focusing too much on the past.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Unkar's Muffins, Jan 31, 2016.

1. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    The answer is complicated. The early plans from around 1980 for the ST are unknown, except for some vague ideas -but most probably, Lucas didn't have much more than those general ideas in his mind (which was about another generation, moral issues about the Force...)
    Those plans evolved during the 80s into even more general comments about making more movies with Luke-Han-Leia being older.
    And then, all those plans were aborted, and the PT turned the Saga into a six-part story, in which episode VI works as a climax for the story that begins in episode I (about Anakin's rise, fall and redemption, and about Palpatine's revenge). And for years, no plans for the ST existed at all (and Lucas insisted that the story was over, that there was nothing more to tell).
    (Which is my opinion, as well).

A few years ago, Lucas began creating a new plan for the ST, as well as selling the company to Disney. It is not clear what came first (my personal opinion, knowing that Lucas had never any intention of making the ST himself, is that the only reason Lucas created a story for the ST was to sell something profitable to Disney)
    (which is why I'm not sad about that story not being made -because it was unnecessary to begin with, and born out of economic issues)
    Those plans are also unknown to us: we only know that Anakin's grandchildren were probably going to be a bigger part of the story.

2. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    The way the force is elaborated on in the prequels is a clear indication of his intentions for episodes 7 through 9. There are many lines and events which give clues to what direction might have been taken.

Yoda: "Good relations with the wookies, I have." This gives way to the Wookies playing a crucial role, especially since they successfully defended the invasion.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Disney probably cannot do an animated or live-action post-RoTJ series until the ST has finished. It would not doubt deal with origins of certain characters and thus, potentially, spoil the ST.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    yeah the central part of the saga and the real story will always be episode 1 -6. the rest is just icing on the cake to enjoy. I love Episode 7 but it does seem a little irrelevant to the story as if nothing was truly resolved and Episode 6 was not happily ever after

5. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I wish Chewbacca would've let Han know that the Jedi were real lol. Since he thought it was a load of bologna in Episode 4

6. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
  7. VadersFollower

VadersFollower Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 18, 2011
    How is Disney focusing on the past? The movies were made in the past, but chronologically the OT is the newest and latest story, and Disney continues from that, so logically the chronological continuity from OT will have all the ties with it

Darth__Lobot and Eternal_Jedi like this.
  8. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    The past brings reward, the present brings speculation and the future brings them dread...

They don't even have to focus all on the PT. There is more to SW than just the PT or OT. Mix them up a bit..

But we all know that what brings them money, is the OT...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. DeltaRecon226

DeltaRecon226 Jedi Knight

Sep 20, 2012
    If anything I'd prefer them to explore the past, the chronological past, I mean. I feel like Disney's Star Wars efforts are too OT centric, we need more Prequel era content. The majority of Star Wars content since 1977 has been OT oriented. I like both eras, but I feel like Disney's definition of Star Wars is anything from 1977 to 1983, and nothing else.

Ezon Pin and Saga Explorer like this.
  10. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Why do we need more Prequel content? In terms of canon, the PT had three live action movies, an animated movie, and a six season cartoon series. The OT has really just the three films. Besides, why bother revisiting that era when, from what I've seen, most people don't even care about that stuff?

11. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Your pretty much proving the point further...

From your truth, the PT had a bad run if most people didn't like it in the first place. That only gives us more of a point of Disney and the OT lust.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The PT also has an Anakin and Obi-Wan comic, the Kanan comic had flashbacks to the end of the Clone Wars, Dark Disciple, Rebels has TCW characters. Coruscant and Geonosis have been seen in the comics as well.

The OT only has movies and comic series'. Rebels is Dark Times.
    No comparison between the two trilogies imo.

13. BMO

BMO Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2016
    I disagree- I think the forward direction holds more creativity and room for new stuff, but it's not quite as interesting- it doesn't hold as much weight either, as these events are small- the death star destroyed 1 planet- the starkiller base got a system (that no one really cared about) but these prequels and older films give us reasons to care for even the most minor aspects, and the major ones (the spies who stole the plans vs the entire plantet of alderaan). Also, the past had more galaxy- engulfing issues- like a system at war- whereas the rebellion is only very small, and the new series only holds more rebel vs evil huge power stuff. If done right, it could be good, but an old republic movie might be more popular than a newer film, as we see how past events shaped the future, instead of how present events shape the next movie. More room for cameos, minute details, history changing events, and the effects thereof. Not to say these new episodes won't be great, but they might fall short

14. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I think Disney is avoiding the present/future because they don't want to spoil Episodes 8 and 9. True, some planned prequel films are set for release after 2019, but I think that there is a lot to be explored in the first two eras that Lucas wouldn't have allowed. I think it is very possible that they will soon begin making spinoffs set in the new era.

15. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Rebels is at the cusp, as it's in the early days of what will eventually become the Galactic Civil War. I'm usually very lenient with what I regard as the OT-era, though. If the Empire is in power, stormtroopers are running around, and Darth Vader is breathing funny somewhere out there (even if he never shows up in a particular piece of media), I'm willing to regard it as of the OT-era.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  16. jbryan1984

jbryan1984 Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2016
    There is SO MUCH in the past to cover though. You could probably make endless detailed movies and have most of it add up. You can't really move forward from the new saga at this point until its over.

17. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Because the vast majority of people don't really give a flying monkey's wings about the state of things before the stories begin. The people who like the Old Republic stuff REALLY like it and there's a definite market for that - but it's a tiny market in Disney terms. It's just not financially worth it. Maybe one or two of the side story films are going to spin off into other stuff and make it more mainstream, but right now, money talks. If Filoni and the TCW crew weren't behind it, I doubt we'd even have Rebels. If they didn't have access to Marvel's talent and tangential fanbase, there wouldn't be any comic books either. It's money that matters, above all else.

[​IMG]

18. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The vast majority of people don't care either way. Star Wars sells because it's Star Wars. Make something decent and put "Star Wars" on it - People will watch it, regardless of where on the timeline it fits in.
    It's a galaxy with thousands of years of history. Exploring that history would make sense to the vast majority of people, trust me.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I am not sure that's actually true. I really can't see the millions of people who saw TFA but had not seen nor read or in any way participated in SW media of any kind since the last movie came out actually caring at all about characters who weren't in the movies doing things that happened thousands of years before the movies and don't affect the plot. I am not saying there aren't people who do care, just that there aren't enough of them to be a viable financial prospect when you are operating on a Disney scale.

20. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I believe you underestimate the power of the title "Star Wars".

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    A movie or tv series following armies of Jedi and Sith waging war on one another will sell imo.

PymParticles and Lulu Mars like this.
  22. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Especially if it turns out that the ancient Sith had space suits looking like this:

[​IMG]

;)

23. Lazy_Ewok

Lazy_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2016
    Maybe, at least episode 7 was too much like 4. There are so much that can be written in Star Wars so I hope that they will make episode 8 more like something that we haven't seen before.

24. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    I wanted the past for anthologies, but for the new saga I wanted a completely fresh plot with obvious elements from Star Wars.

There is so much creatively that could have been done. If they would lift anything, lift from other sci fi franchises and mold it into Star Wars.

I assume they never considered a galactic invasion from another galaxy by an apex-evolved A.I. bent on harvesting all organic life. They wouldn't have the Force...we would.

25. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    You don't say? XD