main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends [Disney Movie Quote Challenge] Child Of Honor - A Luke and Ben vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by madman007, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Here is my Disney Quote Challenge that I managed to squeeze in between class projects.
    The quote was "Forever is a long, long time and time has a way of changing things." from The Fox and the Hound

As always, enjoy and review as you see fit.

Child Of Honor

Luke suddenly stopped as soon as he saw it. It was lying in one of the many boxes he was surrounded by. They were full of various paraphernalia and trinkets he collected over the years. They were stuffed in boxes and put away in storage. Mara had been after him since the end of the Vong War to get the storage cleaned out and separate the trash from the collectors items. He couldn?t believe that this was in with these boxes. How long had it been since he had seen it last? How long was it since it was given to him? A lifetime ago. And for what? Being a hero? At that time, Luke Skywalker didn?t know the price for heroism.

He definitely knew it now. The Myrkr mission had showed him the cost. Maybe all those years prior Luke didn?t want to know. Perhaps it was the reason he stuck this inside a box as if denying the reason for him receiving it. Somehow he kept his naive farm boy charm by hiding it, forever keeping in his yearn for adventure as a boy on Tatooine. The pain of grief had changed him over the years.

Losing Chewie was heartbreaking. He died saving Anakin. How ironic was it that Anakin did the same for his fellow Jedi, including his own siblings. Maybe sacrificial heroism was contagious. Nobody could be blamed for Chewie?s death. Yes, the Yuuzahn Vong made the Sernpidal moon come crashing down. Chewie had a choice. He chose to save the son of his life debt instead of escaping himself. That decision cost him his life. In turn, Anakin Solo had a choice to save his friends and family despite the fact that in doing so meant his death as well.

But it was Luke himself who put Anakin in that position to make that choice. His friends, family, and especially Mara tried to convince him that he wasn?t to blame for Anakin?s death. That was Anakin?s choice, not Luke?s.

?Daddy, what?cha doing??

The voice of his seven-year-old son shook him out of his thoughts and he answered him with, ?I?m going through some old stuff. Straightening out our storage room.?

?Oh. Is it messy like my room??

?No. Your room is a disaster area. This is, at least, controlled chaos.?

Little Ben sat down and looked into the box in front of his father. It didn?t take long for him to spot it. ?Wow! That?s pretty. Where did you get that??

?I sort of won it.?

?You did? What did you have to do to win that??

Luke reflected absently as if he were talking to himself instead of his son. ?I killed thousands of people.?

?Thousands? That?s a lot.? He paused as he looked at it. ?Would I have to kill that many people to win something like that??

?I hope you don?t, son.?

?What kind of contest was it??

?It wasn?t a contest. It was war. Remember what we told you about war??

?Uh huh. So, those people you killed were bad??

?I wouldn?t say bad or evil. They were men who tried to oppress their way of life on the galaxy.?

?What?s...a press??

Luke smiled and replied, ?It means they tried to force their ideals on the galaxy. They tried to be the highest power and wanted the galaxy to answer only to them. They killed many people in doing so. In fact, they were trying to destroy a whole planet and we went to stop them.?

?Destroy a planet? Like what they did to Aunt Leia?s home world with that big space station you told me about??

?Exactly.?

?But you stopped them. You destroyed the space station.?

?Yes. With a little help from your Uncle Han.?

?So, you killed the thousands who were on that station. But they were about to kill millions by blowing up a planet. So you won this by saving those millions of people. If you hadn?t of killed the thousands of people then those millions of people would have died and the thousands of people would go on killing.?

Luke choked up not from his son?s simplistic view, but because he realized that he once thought as Ben did long ago. Did pain and grie

2. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    Great answer to the challenge!=D=
    I love little Ben, so cute[face_love]

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Sweet and honest and thoughtful response to the challenge. @};-

:D

=D=

[:D]

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awww....that was so beautiful!

And I love little Ben putting things in perspective for Luke.

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

5. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    GeneralKenobi7
    Jade_eyes
    KELIA

Thanks to all of you for reading!

I watched ANH before my classes started and at the end I wondered, what happened to those medals they were given by Leia? I tried to frame the question into a story and came up with Luke reflecting on it after the Vong war. And out of all the people who could speak sense into Luke, I thought why not his own son at age 7. Many people dismiss the simple rhetoric of kids. For some reason I have a knack for writing true kids dialogue.

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Beautifully done! =D=

7. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Great little piece here! =D= Lovely job and a nice way to tie in the quote. :)
    And loved that ending too! :p [face_mischief][face_love] Wonderful job!! :)@};-

8. JediMasterJessica

JediMasterJessica Jedi Master star 3

Jul 26, 2005
    That was so sweet and cute. You captured the Ben/Luke dynamic really well :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.