main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Disney Museum at the Presidio

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JedHead1, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    This opens this Thursday, Oct. 1st:

http://disney.go.com/disneyatoz/familymuseum/index.html

104 Montgomery St
    San Francisco, CA 94129-1718
    (415) 409-0304

2. AKAI_FETT

AKAI_FETT Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2006
    Steph and I went today and had a blast! The place (if you're a Disney kid like us), this is an amazing place and we're truly lucky to have a place like this in the city.

http://disney.go.com/disneyatoz/familymuseum/index.html.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/walt-disney-family-museum-at-the-presidio-san-francisco

** note who was the first to yelp it...:-B [face_whistling] ... and the date.

Anyhow it opens the 1st of October and as far as I know, to my surprise, nothing is planned for opening day. Which is strange if you ask me. I asked a few cast members and they all said the same thing. Maybe that's the yarn they're told to spin, or maybe it's word. Dunno yet.

Steph and I will be there for 10:30 entrance. And just a tip, don't expect to show up and get in. It's a timed entrance to keep the place flowing. But, if you want to soak it all in, it is an all day thing. A lot of info to geek out on. But, there are no ins and outs. So eat or drink before. Is bring a flask.

The price is $20 per person or $75 for a year membership. And with the membership, you get 10% off @ the gift shop, that has some nice items and Disney historian eye candy. Especially the Mary Blair items.

I think Matt may try and meet us at 10:30 for our entrance and if anyone else can make it, let us know.

3. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I just got my ticket for 10/1 at 10:30. See you guys there!

You want to meet up beforehand for something quick to eat?

4. Nebelwerfer

Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2008
    Speaking of Disney; did anyone watch the season premier of Family Guy? They went to a universe where they are animated Disney style. It was very cool, but it ended badly.

5. AKAI_FETT

Feb 27, 2006
    Cool beans Matt. We'll get there around 9:30/10ish and will eat at home.
    There is a small cafe inside to grab a quickie. But, we can for sure get a bite after.
    Bring some money for the gift shot. There is an opening Day print on sale. I bought one already, but it will be a nice keepsake for down the line. May buy another or two

And yes,
    I did last night's Family Guy. The segments were cool and the Disney clip was so well done, (as far as the look goes). But it did end on a downer. Also, the live action one was a hoot.

6. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Missed it Family Guy... multiple crisises on multiple fronts kept me too preoccupied for anything really fun but racked up on hell of a score card yesterday! Seems like everything is gonna be alright. :cool:

7. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Family Guy was great! The Disney versions looked like you think they would, and the Robot Chicken segment was funny too. But the best part: Peter farts on Meg....TWICE! [face_laugh]

8. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I got a ticket for 10:45. So we are meeting up to eat some place?

9. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Lou/Kathy:

If you want to carpool, maybe we can have breakfast somewhere, go to the museum, and have lunch at their cafe. Oh wait. We're talking Disney prices, huh? [face_worried]

10. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Um, I don't know if car pooling is best for me. I might have to leave earlier than the rest of you because I still have a lot of house cleaning to do before the 3 year old arrives on my doorstep Friday afternoon! But if you want to meet some place for breakfast let me know soon! I'll be up early calling for D*Con rooms (go on sale at 5:00am :p *epcot face*)

11. AKAI_FETT

Feb 27, 2006
    That could work. There is a good breakfast spot by our place or what ever.
    Call me in the am, I'm an early riser anyhow.

12. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    What a perfect day! The weather was beautiful, and the museum is great! Kathy, Stephanie, Lou and myself spent several hours at the museum and had a great time. There's a lot to take in. The parking outside was free, and it got pretty crowded.

First, your ticket allows you to enter in timed increments (10 am, 10:30, 10:45, etc.). While you wait, there's a trophy room, where many of Disney's many awards are on display, and a cafe to get something really quick, like pastries, drinks, fruit, and small sandwiches . There are about ten rooms in all for the exhibit. The first rooms are about Walt's childhood and early years through WWI and his early animation and drawings. There's original items on display, like passports, photos, etc.

Next, you go downstairs to where you see the beginnings of the short films and features. There's also original Disney collectibles there. The next rooms deal with the features in order, beginning with the innovative techniques and breakthroughs made by Disney, including the multi-plane camera. You go from Snow White, to Pinocchio, Bambi, Fantasia, to the Wars Years, and the development of Disneyland, which takes you to a huge model of the park in the 1950's. There's really interesting stuff about the various concepts of the park.

As you go to the final rooms dealing with Walt's final years, you finally end up in the store (naturally). The exclusive items include two limited edition prints: 1) Opening Day of the Museum, and 2) "It All Started With A Mouse". There are t-shirts, magnets, keychains, as usual, and there are moie and character-related items as well.

Downstairs is the theater, which will be showing various features and specials, which begin soon.

All in all, it takes about 3-5 hours to see everything, and we were lucky to switch our paper e-mail prnt-outs to real tickets to keep as a souvenir. I think we should have another meeting/trip there as a group, then maybe take a photo by the GG Bridge, like I propoesed for the website (today was a perfect day for it). We ended our day by eating at a nearby place called Pluto's (appropriately enough).

So if you get a chance to go, please do so!

For me, it was a relief to leave reality for a while and go back to a happier time in my life.

13. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Oh, and I forgot...no cameras allowed. :(

14. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Various articles:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/qws/ff/qr?Submit=S&term=disney+museum&st=s

15. Nebelwerfer

Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2008
    Like that will stop Ming :D

16. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    LOL... but I don't intend to go anytime soon but you're right... it wouldn't stop me. hahaha...

17. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Anyone want to make a day trip out of this? We could have a quick meeting, say around 10 am in early November to discuss a holiday party, then we can do the museum, and maybe take a group photo by the GG Bridge.

When we went opening day, it was perfect picnic weather. I wish we had the photo taken then.

18. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Meh... I have no attachments to Disney really... What do we need to discuss for the meeting? I could take the group shot with the Nikon. I kinda wish I had the remote accessory now.

19. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    I would be up for going. My family and I used to go to Disneyland every year as a kid. I have picture of me walking around the park at around age 6 with my donald duck hat. It quacked with you squeezed the bill. :D I think by the time we get into Nov it might be too cold to do anything outside but I'm sure we could find someplace to eat.

20. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I had that same hat! I remember bringing it to "hat day" in elementary school... *Wonders what happened to it...*[face_thinking]

21. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I'd like to see the museum again since I missed the entire upstairs, and didn't have time to read half of the info downstairs. There is a lot to see.

I'm waiting to find out though when the float builds are for the Modesto Parade (I really should help). I also have a b-day party I'm trying to go to on the 14th.

22. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Weather-permitting, I might swing by Thursday to take a picture of Yoda there.

23. AKAI_FETT

Feb 27, 2006
    http://www.examiner.com/x-16042-SF-Film-Industry-Examiner~y2009m10d5-Opening-Days-of-Walt-Disney-Family-Museum

24. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Cool, Lou! Did you find that pic that lady took of us opening day?

25. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I went to the store the other day, and they said they have only a small number of the limited edition prints from opening day left.

And if you go today, stop by the Exploritorium - its FREE!

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.