main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Disney (or Somebody Else) Buying 20TH Century Fox??

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jim Smith, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Grass is greener mentality?

Can't stand monopolies. After nearly a lifetime of high speed internet monopoly, I finally have two main competitors and surprise - suddenly I'm getting internet at 1/3rd the price, 25x the speed, reduced lag (except here of course) and just downright reliable. I will never cheer the reduction of competition (well, unless it is competing with my business LOL).

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
  3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Not in a million years, unless its heavily censured. Not sure Seth McFarlane would go for that anyway.

4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Just to clarify because it was a point of confusion.

Disney would not be actually buying 20th Century Fox (the movie studio) from 21st Century Fox but the assets.

So Disney would not take the X-Men movies and release them as 20th Century Fox with the logo and fanfare but as Marvel Studios movies.

So no Fox fanfare open on Star Wars even if they would eventually make the purchase.

In fact that would be taken off the X-Men movies.

5. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    And the game goes on. Comcast is reportedly in negotiations to acquire major assets of 20th Century Fox.

So either Disney gets involved in buying out Fox or Comcast could conceivably break up Fox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If Fox is to be sold off to the media conglomerates, my preference would be that it's split up between them, with all Marvel and Star Wars stuff going to Disney.

7. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Hey guys what exactly does this mean? Everyone is talking about this in larger than life terms. Can someone spell out how this impacts the movie market.

8. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

I guarantee you the one asset everyone will want is the residual assets Fox has in the OT. Disney really needs to acquire them, IMHO.

9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    At this point though it amounts to a rubber stamp on the distribution of ANH and holding the O-Negs and other film elements for the OT in some part.

So nice to say you have I guess it but ultimately meaningless.

I don't know the in's and out's but if say Comcast does buy the Fox assets then maybe Disney could get those distributions rights for ANH in another deal?

Fox would have no reason to sell them individually but that is also a point of corporate pride to have those rights. With then selling them off then Comcast really would only look at them as something else to sell.

As it stands now ANH had to have the Fox Fanfare and logo at the start but I wonder if Comcast gets it would even that hold?

For Disney at this point that would be the main thing. To get the Fox logo and music off of their movie.

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm sure Disney's lawyers will lobby HARD to convince the government that Fox's Star Wars rights are non-transferrable.

11. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

Yeah, good luck with that. :) More seriously, I think its worth watching whats happening with the government's anti-trust suit with AT&T/Time Warner. Hopefully, we are not entering an era where, for what ever reason, DOJ is going to get more actively involved in mergers and consolidations in the entertainment industry.

12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Why would it matter to them either way?

13. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

They would not want a third-party to start deriving a revenue stream from the OT. Its bad enough if Disney cant have it, it would be worse if some unrelated party gets it. Much like Michael Jackson getting royalties from the Beatles catalog.

14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    This confirmed??

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No.

The '!' in the title should be replaced by '?'.

16. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    It wouldn't really be a third party though. It's just a different second party with no difference to what is already going on. It's strictly about ANH.

MJ actually bought and owned the Beatles catalogue. Lucasfilm owns ANH itself.

McCartney and the Lennon estate still get their royalties but don't actually own the publishing so therefore can't control it being on commercials etc while Lucasfilm controls ANH. Fox or whoever can't do anything with ANH. They just get a fee from it's distribution.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  17. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

Agreed. Also Disney is not the only possible suitor. Title changed.

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes. Fox owns the distribution rights, but it's Lucasfilm who decides if, when and how it's distributed.

19. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Why shouldn't DOJ be involved? Monopolies are bad and I damn well want the government to play an active role in cracking down on such things. Corporations have had far too much power for far too long.

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
  21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah, Deadline reported it. Looks like this may actually happen.

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    darklordoftech likes this.
  24. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Deal already went through. It is over. The Empire rules the galaxy.

25. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    So, since Fox are selling the assets, who does everyone marking this deal with Disney out as something evil and abhorrent think that Fox should sell those assets to instead?
    Which preferable organistaion has $60bn to spend on them and doesn't already own numerous similar assets?