main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Disney really wants to land the live action series, and expand SW at MGM.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by FloridaFilmGuy, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FloridaFilmGuy

FloridaFilmGuy Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 1, 2000
    Link

For the record, Jim Hill Media is a very, very reliable Disney information website.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Disney, eh?

Disney's fire seems to have been dying out over the last decade or so, with PIXAR being one of their sole saving graces. But I guess it all depends on who's working on it.

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Well, as far as the TV series is concerned, it sounds like Disney is only trying to get the broadcast rights. The show itself (content, directing, etc.) would still be separate from Disney.

4. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I can't wait for MGM to convert the space in between Indy and Star Wars. Maybe they will convert that restaurant into the cantina.

5. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    Since Disney owns ABC I wonder if it would air on that. I can't really picture it on the Disney channel since its not network t.v. "Lucas Land" sounds like a dream come true though!

6. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    Yes the Jim Hill article mentioning thast it'd air on both ABC and ABC Family while Fox is offering them a similar deal to air on FOX and FX.

7. leelee

Jan 4, 2003
    heh heh yeah I kind of skimmed over that before I posted. Anyway I think that's really exciting news. I'm happy to hear the competition for the show and that it will get plenty of promotion :)

8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Interesting. I kinda figfured Lucas would keep his old connections. So, the 3D Cartoon would be aired on the Cartoon Network and the live action series would be aired on FOX, was alwways my assumption. But, I guess not? ;)

Good find anyway. Thanks for sharing. :)

9. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    Disney has been very lucky to have PIXAR, Pirates, and the High School Musical stuff. Hopefully, lucas dosn't go this direction.

10. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Disney better stay AWAY from this show! Disney is a franchise KILLER! Just like the new Muppet Show series we got last year. What Muppet Show? Exactly!

11. leelee

Jan 4, 2003
    Disney wouldn't have any involvement really besides reaping the benefits, just like they do with Pixar. They just put their name on it. I think it'd be a good move for it to be on abc. I think the show would last longer if it was on that than fox. Fox pulls a lot of shows before giving them a chance but abc already is keeping lost until its end date of 2010.

12. Willy-Wonka-nobi

Willy-Wonka-nobi Jedi Master star 1

Feb 6, 2004
    yeah... I am for that just so we can get an updated Star Tours Ride... lol. I have loved that ride since I was like 3.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I could see them trying to pair up Lost's last season with SW's first on one night.

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    That's a fantastic idea Quest. Makes a ton of sense.

15. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    This has pretty much been my dream since they first announced the live action show. That might be too much awesomeness for me to handle in one night though.

16. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003

That's what I am hoping for.

17. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    WHen you do the math though - it doesn't really work. Lost's last season starts Jan 2010?

18. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    So I guess Star Tours 2.0 will add the option of flying through one of the exciting space battles in the PT...oh...

Never mind.

19. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    Even if it did fit timing-wise, with Lost dropping so tremendously in quality each season and its writers clearly having no discipline (to the point that they needed an end-date because they have no idea how to structure their show), i'd rather see SW head-up its own night.

I'm a Lost fan, have been since the beginning, and frankly it amazes me how quickly the show has been degrading. The latter half of last season was better, but only because the first half of the season was so weak.

20. Jango_Fettish

Aug 17, 2002
    The later part of season 3 is the high point of the series for me, and a lot of people I know. But even if you do not agree, you should see there is a good chance the show will improve. The defined end for the show will help out a lot, seeing as the creators can now head in the direction they want to go in without worrying about stretching it out with filler to fulfill a longer contract with ABC. I mean with the ending to S3, and the rumors of where it is going this year, it looks like they have been planning the series at least somewhat from the beginning.

This is actually one of the reasons I am glad Lucas gave us that "100 hours" estimate so long ago. When a show knows how long it is going to run for, those plotting it can have an ending in mind and think of a good way to stretch the show out and plot out the story ahead of time. That way it won't run into the problem Lost had - having the writers wondering how much longer they have to add in filler to extend the plot. The main reason they wanted an end date was so they wouldn't keep just adding filler to stretch the show out a few more years, just so they can get canceled and never tell the whole story they wanted to tell from the start.

21. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    I am hoping that Lindehoff et al are able to pick it back up and make the next season of Lost better. I just lost (no pun intended :cool: ) faith in them a while back. It's a cop-out for the writers to say that the open-endedness of the series was stifiling for them -- that just shows that they're not sufficiently talented to be able to tell a story without someone telling them when to stop. That's just poor. Countless serial TV series have been able to tell compelling stories without knowing when to stop. I understand their point of view, but it's still a cop out. Hopefully next season they'll have finally stopped (as they tended to do last half of last season) with the "let's keep throwing stuff out there and make stuff up as we go along!" mojo.

And hopefully they'll stop firing people from the cast because of supposed "personal" issues amongst the cast.

22. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    Season 3 was very good during the second half. Most people that have stuck with the show agrees.

23. Mungo

Mungo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2007
    That's why the SW TV series needs Joss Whedon on its writing staff. He is famous for planning out his TV series in adance.

24. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well, if we believe the rumours, Lucas has spent all this time since ROTS plotting and planning out this show?

25. Jango_Fettish

Aug 17, 2002
    Joss Whedon is the last person I would want touching SW. Not my cup of tea at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.