main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Disney should make an Adult Oriented Live Action Drama.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by comet1440, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    This.

I wouldn't mind a live action TV show but keep it clean. Something like Agents of Shield would be good where it ties into the events of the movies slightly.

2. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    I'm just going to copy/paste my idea for a KOTOR TV series centered on Revan and his time as a Jedi and Sith here. The tone I have envisioned for it would be like Game of Thrones with Star Wars skin so there's your adult oriented stuff. It wouldn't have gratuitous nudity and sex, but it could have Revan go through many lovers until he meets Bastila or The Exile until she meets Mical or Atton. It would inherit the complex large scale story-telling Game of Thrones has and that would be a huge appeal to fans and new audiences alike.

Season 1(and maybe 2?) of KOTOR would be the Mandalorian Wars. We could see Revan as the central character with a supporting cast including Malak, Treia, The Exile, Carth Onasi, HK-47 and maybe other original characters as well as antagonists such as Mandalore The Ultimate and occasionally teasing The True Sith who'd show up much later.

Seasons 3 to 5 could be the Jedi Civil War where we could see Revan as the Dark Lord to the amnesiac we first saw in the first KOTOR game, and introducing the game cast including Bastilla, Mission, Zaalbar etc. Season 6 onward could time-jump forward to The Exile as the central leading character gathering a crew looking for Revan as the True Sith assemble for their invasion in a later season.

Another great idea I've heard is to structure the whole thing like Arrow and have flashbacks here and there while we just jump straight into the game storyline.

The issue however I'd like to ask anyone and/or the OP comet1440 is this. While the appeal and demand of a Star Wars live action show is too good to resist for the suits and other TPTB that are in charge as well as for fans, how do you make it work on a television budget? Especially with all the effects and costuming etc etc. I mean in Game of Thrones, there's a reason you hardly see Daenerys Targaryen's Dragons.

3. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    Time for a mini-rant:
    Star Wars is for everyone. It is for the kid inside of you. If you don't have an inner child, you are part of the wrong fandom. Just Get over it or leave. Rebels has some dark moments, but it's also a lot of fun.

4. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    I would love a live action SW tv show, but I don't want one with sex and other elements that would make it not family friendly. As others have said, SW is a story for all. Putting that kind of stuff in it would exclude a lot of people from that part of the story. Everyone knows that sort of thing goes on in the SW universe, but they don't have to "show" it.

Right now, Disney's focus is on the OT and events leading up to the OT. That looks to be the case at least through next year. Once TFA is out, I think we'll see a slight shift to the ST, but not a full shift. It sounds like the spin offs will be back in the OT time period, if not even in the PT. So, I would guess that the full shift to the ST era won't kick in until mid to late 2017 with Ep.VIII. And, since a live action tv show is most likely not on the radar until at least about that time frame, I'd say that the tv show will most likely be set sometime after RotJ. My bet is actually that it'll be set closer to TFA like Rebels is a lead in to the OT.

That being said, I'm wondering if they'll be willing to cast new actors for familiar characters for tv?

And, I know this is a thread for live action, but what I'd really like to see is a CGI type animation show that is super realistic (like a video game cut scene). I'd like for it to be set just after or shortly after RotJ and focus on the continuing battle of the Rebels ousting the Empire. It could be similar to the X-Wing books and comics in that if could allow for both space battles and ground missions. With using CGI, they could still have some main characters like Luke, Leia, Han, etc. show up by using voice actors. However, I wouldn't have them be the main characters.

*shrug* I look forward to see what they do.

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Sex scenes in a Star Wars TV-show? No thank you.
    It's something that bothers me with a lot of shows nowadays. Sex and nudity, just to attract viewers. I'm not a prude, and I don't mind sex scenes if they serve the story (hint: they almost never do), but I don't want Star Wars that is that adult. Star Wars should be for everyone.

6. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Ya think SW could use something like the Red Wedding in all its gory glory?

Redimet, Miras-Etrin and ScorpionJedi like this.
  7. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Have we ever even seen a hoodless Jawa? Or are they born with hoods? :p

8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    'Inner child' does not mean what you appear to think to everyone, sir. 'Get over it or leave' is very exclusionary. Differences occur for reasons and ARE valid. Some like more philosophical approaches, others fun and adventure. We are ALL fans.

TKT likes this.
  9. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    Given that lightsabers and blasters cauterize wounds, making it "Red" might be a little hard.

10. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    [​IMG]

11. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    That was only one time. Most of the other instances don't have blood.

EDIT: Although they could introduce Cortosis-weaved swords

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I'm all for a mature Star Wars live action show. Serious and dark tone, mature jokes, even blood as long as it doesn't get gory. But not on the same level as Game of Thrones. No nudity and sex either. I think that's way out of place for Star Wars.

13. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    Yeah I shouldn't have said sex, I don't think sex is necessary I just said that to illustrate the contrast I'm seeking from where Disney is headed. I really meant it should be a show with more meaningful and deeper content, just like Cushing's Admirer said, a philosophical approach. We all know what Disney's approach to shows is and that is not how Star Wars should be done.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think "that is not how Star Wars should be done" is almost as dismissive as "get over it and leave."

If Star Wars is really for everyone, then by all means, let Disney do the Mortis Half-Hour every week, and people who like that sort of thing can watch it while the rest of us can watch the more fun stuff that Disney is putting out.

But "the only way Star Wars should be done is by using the deep philosophical stuff that I like" is equal to what you are accusing Disney of doing, just from the other side.

And I'm still waiting for why "adult" means "humorless."

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    It doesn't AFS. It's you insisting on the point.

16. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    Yeah I didn't say humorless, the show can be mature and still have humor.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    OK. So where is the humor in the type of show that you all want?

I keep reading "deeper," "serious," "meaningful," and "philosophical", none of which mixes with the good humor I get from Han Solo, Anakin/Obi-Wan banter in TCW (mixed with both of them talking to Ventress, plus Ventress dialogue with Ahsoka in early seasons), and Kanan and Hera.

By all means I'm open to the idea. I'm just not seeing it, nor am I seeing that that's what you all are asking for.

18. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    "The Empire Strikes Back" is a good example of the tone I'm seeking in upcoming Star Wars shows/movies. TESB was serious, dark, meaningful, not a lighthearted romp. TESB is the exact mold for what Star Wars should be. It seems as if Disney would rather go in the direction of a show like "Dora The Explorer" which in contrast to something like TESB. When you think about it, it's Disney. A company based around content for very young audiences. Star Wars doesn't fit the Disney mold. It's not Disney's fault, they are just doing what they do as a company. The conclusion is that selling the franchise to a company that only makes content for a very young audience, was a mistake on Luca's part. Unless that's what he sees Star Wars as. But in my view, Star Wars is more then that. It's a deeper story then something Disney would create. The only hope would be that Disney allows an outside production company to make something in contrast to the shows they make.

19. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    As I alluded to in another thread, Disney isn't making the decisions here. LFL is, and it is being headed by Kathleen Kennedy, who was hand picked by Lucas to succeed him. We will probably be repeating this mantra for years; Disney is not making the creative decisions for SW.

I think SW should have a wide range of tone's and styles. Too many fans want every SW product to be ESB, which I think would make the franchise very bland very quickly (not that I dislike ESB).

Edit: I'll add another example. I loved Tarkin, and took a lot out of it's more philosophical tone. In some ways it's a book that's better to think about than to read. However, the franchise needs a mix of philosophical works with works like AND and EotG.

Thuro and TheSilentInfluence like this.
  20. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Well said on the last bit! =D=

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    ESB was great. I didn't consider it a "serious" movie at all. The heroes getting themselves in deep **** does not make a "serious" movie for me; we're talking about a movie that had Han and Lando. Maybe because of the deep **** the heroes were in, it wouldn't be considered "lighthearted," but it certainly was fun.

FWIW, the Dagobah scenes were my least favorite. I don't consider them bad, and the philosophies that Yoda taught there are more pantheistic and appealing than some of the ideas in later versions of Star Wars, but those scenes were definitely the least enjoyable for me.

But I don't think we're getting "Dora the Explorer" now. Not until Ezra's head swells to the size of a Death Star and he starts talking to the audience through the screen. "Can you sing with me? The droid on the Ghost goes round and round, round and round, round and round..."

Maybe we're operating on a different definition of "deep, meaningful, serious"?

Thuro and TheSilentInfluence like this.
  22. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That's entirely possible as it is regarding humour as well.

23. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    Hey so no one has really answered this question:

How would this work in terms of budget? How can they churn out a quality product but do it at a TV budget? If Disney(who have bottomless pockets) isn't going to do it, then who would be rich enough to allow this to happen?

24. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Could it have a budget similar to what Once Upon A Time has on ABC right now? Although; that's about four or five million dollars an episode I think.

25. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    I'm thinking way more than a typical episode of Game of Thrones which is at least $6 million per episode.