main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Disney shuts down Lucasarts

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Kuestmaster, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Editing Error.

2. Flavia Serem

Flavia Serem Jedi Master star 1

Feb 22, 2013
    Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I am saddened by this. I know this shows my age, but I have great memories of "Maniac Mansion."

Jedi General Gelderd likes this.
  4. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    I NEVER managed to complete 'Maniac Mansion'! So frustrating but brilliant at the same time.

Ohh Edna.... :p

5. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Day of the Tentacle and Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe were among my favorites.

Yancy

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I would be mad if LucasArts ever made these games:

1. The Force Unleashed III (WHAT WERE THEY THINKING not making this game )
    2. KOTOR III (At least we got SWTOR)
    3. Battlefront 3 (Not necessary, but come on we all wanted it!)

Epic fail, the Clone Wars I was upset about, but not so much this (Although it does suck so many people lost jobs).

7. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    http://kotaku.com/the-last-months-of-lucasarts-472038151

Ugggh, Lucasarts was on the cusp of releasing some good stuff, "Version 2" which looks like it was Battlefront III was well into production. The article contains a good video of the their work. Apparently Disney told Lucasarts back in January that they were "re-evaluating the amount of violence in their games." Yeah, this is going to work out great...

8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    So far Disney is looking like Darth Vader with this deal.

9. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    I can't really say I'm surprised. Lucasarts were a bit of a joke 10 years ago and haven't really improved since. Remember that most of the decent games - Empire at War, Battlefront, JK II/ Jedi Academy, KOTOR - were developed by external studios under licence rather than by Lucasarts, which is exactly the model that Disney have said they'll be using in the future. The Force Unleashed aside (and we can't mention The Force Unleashed without mentioning the full-price short story that was TFU II), what decent games have Lucasarts themselves actually made (rather than just published) this century?

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Heard that EA got the rights for Star Wars games. Not the best news, really.

11. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I am not very familiar with EA, so can someone tell me why that is bad news?

12. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Because this is the internet and the sky is falling.

The Hellhammer and mes520 like this.
  13. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    They already had their fingers in the biggest Star Wars thing out right now. Why wouldn't they get it.

Good news is we might get more games developed by Bioware. Bad news is we might get more games developed by BIOWARE.

14. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Because they are one of the most commercial company in the world. Probably they will give us every year a pointless game, which will by default have multiplayer option. A space FIFA, or if you like better something like Activision's Call of Duty. Just look at what they done to BioWare after the purchase, and you will understand how bad EA are.

In fact, the only worse news than this would have bee if both EA and Activision would have gotten the rights.

Exactly how I felt. If it is the good BioWare then it is fantastic news. But very likely we will see EAWare.

15. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    Let's see where to start with EA.... Horrid customer service, good luck on getting a patch for your game, it's called next year's edition (Madden fans know this one all too well). Oh and their new favorite trick... Downloadable Content. You know that game you bought which advertised online multiplayer ability... well technically you can play it online once you pony up the money to unlock a code which makes that feature useable. In fact a lot of their newer console game are basically gimped and if you want all of the features advertised you have to play more for it. So that $60 purchase simply wasn't enough.. you owe EA more.

Frankly Disney should have kept Lucas Arts open and simply allowed them to farm out game development. It would have meant more competition and a better product for the consumer.

Yancy

16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm the last person to overreact to any news before seeing what's actually going on, but I gotta say, not very happy about EA getting the rights.

They are truly a horrible, horrible company that just sucks the money out of it's customers any way it can, consumes good developers and leaves them nothing but a shell of their former selves in the service of the EA money grabbing machine. Plus they treat their customers like ****, you need not go any further than the Sim City debacle where they kept convincing people that the game was working right while it was obviously FUBAR. There are quite a few articles lying around on IGN and similar sites where an EA suit basically tells customers to go reproduce with themselves when they're complaining about a product they bought because it's not working.

But, wait and see, I guess.