main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Disney, Star Wars and the "Industry".

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ganger, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Mod Warning: Let's cut back the snark. If you have an issue pm me or another mod. You can also use the report button if you think a post has crossed the line. I thought we had all moved on and it didn't need addressed but I was wrong.

Back on topic....

You received this Ninja message from Tapatalk

2. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Fair enough.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    To clarify: I had absolutely nobody in mind when I posted the opinion that has generated this dramatic feedback. Nobody. Not you. Not Pfluegermeister. Not any specific handful of people. I am not particularly good at "passive aggressive" as is about to be demonstrated. Despite your entire Holden Caulfield "**** your rules!" shtick, I have attempted to give you reminders for months about our site's (not mine, the site's...) policy about PT bashing and profanity usage rather than just ban you. You don't want passive aggressive reminders from the staff...? I accept your terms. Break the TOS, again, and you get banned. Merry Christmas.

GGrievous and Ganger like this.
  4. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I agree. I think we've communicated our position clearly and firmly enough; all else would just be repetition. And regardless of this rather broad difference of opinion, and the fact that it can get me heated (justifiably so, I maintain), the plain fact is that I have always liked Chorus, enjoyed his wit and intellect, and find this point of difference to be the exception, not the rule. I shall not ask him to retract or revise his opinion, because I'm sure he'd never demand that of me; I am satisfied having spoken my piece on the matter. Beyond this, I not only apologize if I got too sharp, but I'll still wish him a Happy Holidays. We ALWAYS have to be able to do that much for each other, regardless of our differing opinions - or else we really WOULD be acting like children. :p

5. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    I appreciate your straight answer (not the Holden Claufield bit but it's probably deserved) and I hereby declare my allegiance to the site and its rules. I will not restrain my opinion but I will share it with taste and respect as I have always intended. I sincerely hope this is the last time we have a feud Chorus, I really do. I do appreciate your input on these boards.

6. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    One thing about the oversaturation of movies like Avengers, Star Wars, DC heroes (which had been the same for Harry Potter, but it was let off because there were 7 books). Back a LONG time ago, people went to the movies on weekly basis to see serial films like Flash Gordon and, yes, comic book action heroes. I am not sure how long each of these movies were and yes, they were like TV shows. But what is happening with these huge franchises seems just like the old movie theaters were back then. People are going to see continuing, often interconnecting, stories about their favorite characters and worlds. We can hope each is unique, but it is not much different from, say, James Bond from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

I do agree that studios just simply pushing movies out for the sake of it is a dumb idea,but making more movies for big franchises is kind of fun for a while. Eventually it will burn out though.

7. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Oh, please, it's old technology as far as filmmaking is concerned. Still in use, but there's way better options out there to consider. We can continue this discussion elsewhere or we can agree to disagree.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's all gravy. Have a happy holiday, sir.

Ganger likes this.
  9. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    While that is not exactly new news, it was worded in such a way where I finally am considering the timeframe which the solo films take place in. I figured a Han Solo film would be an origin or "Young Adventures of..." type of film, but now I am wondering whether they are talking about using Marvel's literal model and having the non-trilogy films be connected in their story arc.

TKT and newdawn12 like this.
  11. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    From what Pablo, Simon Kinberg, and Dave Filoni have said, TCW, and Rebels will be interlocking with the ST, and the Spin Offs, as well.
    After all simon Kinberg, as well as being an executive producer on Rebels, is also involved with the movies, and he's in constant communication with Lawrence Kasdan.

12. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    It's weird that Star Wars no longer has a mastermind. We know Disney is making decisions to have talented people working on the next movie, but are they going to be around for the one after that? Is Kathleen Kennedy supposed to feel that hole permanently?

Not the end of the world at all, but makes you wonder. . . .

13. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    They have the story group, working with what George Lucas gave them. Movie People, TV people, book people, comic people, games people toy people, reps from Disney, and Bad robot, all working together, on the future of Star Wars.

14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Obviously you didn't read the thread Ganger linked to. A shame.

15. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    I for one I'm all for the 35mm move. My favorite films (which have been a visual revelation re-watching on blu ray) look beautiful, sublime even.

Recently I saw Barry Lyndon by Stanley Kubrick, which I had only seen a few times on VHS about 10 years ago. I was genuinely moved by the visuals, impressed at how beautiful and organic it all looked and felt. This movie was made before Star Wars even and I have yet to feel the same towards a visual on a film, I was really THAT impressed and affected by it. If the CT used this technology and Abrams is going to put it to good use with the ST, I'm all for it.

That said, I don't think that subject is really pertinent to this discussion and would advise for us to move on.

GGrievous likes this.
  16. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I was thinking a combination of the two. Have backstories/"character prequels" but those that relate and give insight to the events in the ST. In other words, don't just have backstories for the sake of it. Have backstories that give elements that factor in heavily into the ST but may not be clearly visible until the entire ST is finished.

For example, have a Han Solo movie that incorporates a larger connection to Boba Fett that we never saw and then bring that connection to the ST. Or have a story that goes between ROTJ and the ST about Fett that explains how he survives. Or have a backstory about Yoda in his early days and bring into it prophecies about the future of the Force that play into the ST.

There's a lot they can do to tie all of it together in an anthology, depending on how the various directors and writers will be talking to each other.

laurethiel1138, Immortiss and TKT like this.
  17. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    My friend, you make a lot of sense and have made me thought about something I haven't.

It would be a missed opportunity if it gets too intricate. People have to be able to follow and enjoy movies within the ST without having to say to them "Oh you didn't get that? You missed the latest spin off then, that bit was totally explained there". But it would be great to have little subplots carefully knitted into the movies, all in a major scheme of things. It would be a lot of fun for all the nerds out there (us) and would show enormous care for Star Wars through a big strategy by Disney.

I can see it as a way to make the whole "We will make a gillion dollars by releasing a film a year" approach become a creative opportunity.

I do believe good art can come through commercial decisions and this scenario makes sense to me.

TKT likes this.
  18. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I know through experience. ;)

19. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    There are several movies that I watched and enjoyed as a kid/teenager which I still watching occasionally to the present day, but I know that if I saw those same movies today for the first time, I would think they were stupid. Star Wars does not fall into this category because it really is timeless, but just silly movies like Last Starfighter. I loved it as a kid watching it on HBO or whatever, and I enjoy popping it in the Blu-Ray player every now and then, but I know if I was seeing it for the first time today, I would think it was pretty stupid.

I'd bet we all have that sort of thing in our lives that we enjoy today because we enjoyed it when we were younger, but probably wouldn't enjoy today if seeing it for the first time.[/quote]

20. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Conversely to Beezer, I caught a bit of Toy Story on TV yesterday. I was in my early twenties when I first saw it, it's a film primarily aimed at kids, although adults can enjoy it. What I got a kick out of yesterday was how it has stood the test of time, because it has good story, and good characters. I also noticed how naff some of the animation was (humans, dog) but I overlooked it because it's a great movie. I see parallels to this and ANH, and I wasn't a child when it came out.

21. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    You used top of the field 35mm cameras?

22. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Why? He/She's absolutely right. A poster above you said that PT, "bashers," are like a drunk uncle who refuse to get over an old girlfriend who broke up with him 14 years ago. However, it's more accurate to say that it's like your girlfriend dumped you for another guy and every so often sends you pics or videos of her having sex with that guy. And she's been doing this since 1997-1999. And you can't do anything about it. It's pretty damned hard to heal when the wound constantly gets reopened.

It's the same with Star Wars. Fans of pre PT/SE Star Wars have a hard time watching the movies they love and anything officially licensed products have constant reminders of what they dislike about the PT or SE. Moving on would be leaving SW completely or resorting to bootlegging and, frankly, it's crappy that Lucas forced his fans into that position.

Pfluegermeister and Darth_Pevra like this.
  23. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
  24. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    Comparing attachment towards a sci fi series of movies versus a relationship is a bit crazy, right? Or am I making this comment in the wrong place?

Echo-07 likes this.
  25. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    It may be, but I wasn't the one initially making the comparison. I was just accurately deconstructing it.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.