Story [Disney] Tales as Old as Time (UDC7) Week Fourteen: Sleeping Beauty

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, Jan 28, 2013.

Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    I loved the beautiful, ancient feel to these. Legend-ish, like Deb said. [face_love]

Stars and Lightning were my favourite of this set - I forgot just how much of a tearjerker this movie was until I reread these. :( [face_love]

Just beautiful =D=
  2. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Nyota: Thanks! I love that about the movie :D

Mira: Thanks! Yeah, it's actually quite sad!

I've loved Peter Pan since I was very little. And even though Peter seems a little more frustrating or selfish as I grow up, I still love this movie and Wendy Darling.

Week Eleven: Peter Pan

Fun

Wendy Darling thought it was all a bunch of fun to tell her little brothers bedtime stories about the dashing Peter Pan fighting the villainous pirates in Neverland. And why not? They were just harmless stories, even if John and Michael did make a bit of a mess playing at being the Lost Boys. Even Nana didn’t disapprove.

Which is why it cut her to the quick when her father commanded her to end the stories—and even more when he decided it was time for her to leave the nursery and grow up. She didn’t want to grow up!

Play

Wendy closed her eyes and let her imagination fly free—and soon felt herself lifting up off the ground, hearing her brothers’ exclamations of surprise and Peter’s laughter. She opened her eyes and looked down at the ground—much farther than she usually had to look!

Wendy thought there was no reason not to play along—and the alternative was to stay here and grow up—so she followed the boys out the nursery window and high above the streets of London.

“The second star to the right and straight on ‘til morning!” Peter directed, and Wendy followed him eagerly.

Laugh

For all the laughter in the nursery, Wendy wasn’t laughing now.

Peter certainly was. And so had those mermaids, when they’d splashed her. And that horrid woman—she hadn’t been laughing when she’d ordered Wendy to leave the celebration—leave Peter and her brothers and that prissy Princess Tiger Lily—and fetch the firewood.

Neverland wasn’t what Wendy had expected.

Peter was still laughing—always laughing, even when his life was in danger. He wasn’t what Wendy had thought, either, and though she was having trouble reconciling her adventurer to the spoiled boy, she knew she wanted to go home.

Games

Peter Pan liked to play games. So did Captain Hook.

Wendy, however, did not. And she was coming to realize that Peter could laugh away his troubles because he thought everything was a game. But Neverland wasn’t a game to her.

She looked back at her brothers sadly. She refused to play along and was going to pay the price. But if it was what she had to do to save her brothers, so be it.

Wendy tilted her chin up and took the last step off the plank.

But instead of plunging into water, she felt arms around her.

Vacation

It had been like a dream, Neverland. A vacation from reality. Peter had again offered Wendy and her brothers the opportunity to stay, but it was time to go home.

Back in the nursery, she tucked her brothers into their beds. But instead of climbing into her own, she waited by the window, watching the Jolly Roger fade into the night sky. She was still there when her parents returned.

Wendy Darling didn’t stop telling stories about Peter Pan and Neverland, but now she knew how real those stories were. Even when she grew up, she never forgot Peter Pan.
    laurethiel1138 likes this.
  3. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Wonderful! What a blend of innocence and feeling the pull to stay young but also see things as they are and grow up. Sounds like, though, Wendy was able to retain some of the sweet, wide-eyedness of childhood. :)
  4. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Oh, I like these. Peter Pan himself has never been a favourite of mine, but I do love Wendy and her coming of age tale. These were a perfect set of prompts to fit the movie, too. Laugh was my favourite here, it fit Pan's character spot on, and I could completely empathize with Wendy's irritation and wish to go home. Vacation was the perfect cap to the drabbles as a whole. [face_love]

=D=
  5. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Nyota: I like to think she did! After all, she still told stories about Peter Pan to her children :D

Mira: I adore Wendy Darling. I know the movie is called Peter Pan, but I honestly think it's more Wendy's story than his. I think she's forgotten too often because she's not a princes, but she really is an amazing character, and one I identify with. I'm glad you liked them!

@Rainbow Knight Star

And for the next set--down the rabbit hole we go!

Week Twelve: Alice in Wonderland

See

Alice saw a flash of white, but it snapped her thoughts away from her sister’s boring tales of William the Conqueror.

It was a rabbit in a waistcoat, of all things, and clutching a pocket watch. Alice was enthralled. This was like nothing she had ever seen before—and it was certainly so much more than her everyday life that she wondered for a moment if she was just seeing things. But she blinked and the rabbit was still there.

A flash of white, but that was all it took, and Alice was falling down a rabbit hole—into Wonderland.

Hear

“I’m late, I’m late, for a very important date!”

Alice had never heard a rabbit speak before—but she shouldn’t be surprised really; what else would a white rabbit wearing a waistcoat and clutching a pocket watch do?

Alice did the only thing she could do—she gave chase, and before she knew it, she was falling.

Alice cried out with fear, but after her body righted itself—this was a much longer rabbit hole than she’d ever seen!—her skirt poofed up and caught her, gentling her fall.

When she landed, she called for the rabbit—to no avail.

Touch

Alice picked up the bottle. “Drink Me,” it read, and Alice did, for what else could she do?

It was a better idea than eating the cake, certainly; but after the doorknob finally got her down to the proper size, she squeezed through and tumbled into the oddest place she’d ever been.

Alice looked around, amazed by the bright colors and odd plants. This place—surely this place was Wonderland!

There was nothing to do except to set off, following the white rabbit. He was the one who had led her here, and Alice wanted to know why he had.

Sense

Wonderland was supposed to be wonderful—it was in the name and everything!—but Alice thought it wasn’t quite as wonderful as it sounded.

For all that she had followed her heart—and directions from the craziest bunch she’d ever met—her senses were telling her that nothing was as it seemed. And neither were any of the denizens of this strange realm.

And the Queen of Hearts—despite her name—seemed to have no heart at all.

That’s what’s wrong here, she thought as the guards carried her away. This court of hearts is lacking a queen with one.

Smell

Alice fled.

And the Queen of Hearts gave chase.

Alice ran as fast as she could, but the court was after her, and it was catching up. Alice only had one chance to escape—to trust, perhaps foolishly, one more creature.

She put her trust in the doorknob and opened her eyes.

She no longer smelled the cakes and flowers and incredible, heady perfume of Wonderland; all she smelled was grass. She looked around and found herself at home, right where she’d started.

She headed for the house, but she still wondered what exactly her white rabbit was late for.
  6. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    =D= =D= =D= I love Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. The March Hare and the Mad Hatter ;) and the Cheshire Cat [face_mischief]
  7. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Once again, these prompts perfectly fit the set. I loved seeing Alice's curiosity here as it took her on her journey, though Sense was my favourite for her insights on the land, and the Queen of Hearts in particular. It was a child's insight, but she was perfectly spot on.

And, of course she was still curious about the white rabbit in the end! That was the perfect way to wrap these up. [face_laugh]=D=
    Nyota's Heart likes this.
  8. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Nyota: Thanks! I've actually never read them, though I have read a couple interesting spinoffs/versions. Have you seen Once Upon a Time in Wonderland?

Mira: Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed. And of course she is--after all, he's the reason she went down the rabbit hole :p

This next set is from Cinderella. I've never been a big fan of the movie, but as I was writing these, I enjoyed getting to known her as a character beyond the goody-two-shoes who gets saved by magic and swept off her feet by a nameless prince. And a comment someone made in the social thread about the movie really being about friendship (Cinderella and the mice, particularly) made me see it a different way, too.

Week Thirteen: Cinderella

Past

“Come here, my darling,” the lord cried, sweeping up his golden-haired child into his arms and laughing as she, delighted, screamed, “Papa!”

“I have a surprise for you, my sweet Ella,” he continued.

He carried her to the carriage, where a footman was helping a dark-haired lady and her two small daughters—just a couple years older than his darling—down. “Sweet, this is Lady Tremaine and her two daughters, Drizella and Anastasia.” The two girls curtsied politely and said, “How do you do?”

“Papa,” Ella asked, “who are they?”

“You need a mother. Lady Tremaine is my new wife.”

Present

Twelve years later, her back ached constantly, her hands were always chapped, and she often found new bruises on her knees without remembering how she got them. In the ten years since her father’s death, she hadn’t been called Ella once. Instead, she was Cinderella, a cruel nickname of Drizella’s—Ella who was always covered with cinders.

Well, and why wouldn’t she be, the way her stepmother always forced her to work? But she had made the name her own, refusing to let her stepsisters’ cruel taunts break her spirit.

Someday, somehow, she was determined to be free from them.

Future

It was hard to break the habit of waking up early, but it was so much easier to stay in bed when a soft mattress supported her body and her husband’s arms held her close. Even after a year of marriage, she thanked fate—and her fairy godmother—every day for this chance at a new life that made her so very happy.

Charming stirred, then kissed her forehead. “Awake as always, my love,” he greeted her sleepily.

Cinderella snuggled closer. “Don’t worry, darling, I have no intention of getting out of bed anytime soon.”

That woke him up quickly.

Memories

She barely remembered her father anymore. She remembered her excitement whenever she walked through the door and the way he would lift her up and swing her around. Most of all, she remembered his laugh.

But as always, memories of her father led to memories of his death and the ten years of torment that had followed at the hands of Lady Tremaine and her daughters. For all that she had forgiven Anastasia—the redhead seemed truly repentant, and she also seemed truly happy with her baker husband—she never forgot the way they made her feel for a decade.

Expectations

Cinderella was determined to move on. She never had to see Lady Tremaine or Drizella again—and Charming, though he had never pressed for details she was unwilling to give, made sure they stayed out of her life.

He’ll be a good father, she thought, rubbing the tiny bump of her belly as she stared out the palace window. Like my own.

And I’ll make sure my father lives on in the stories I tell my child.

Charming’s arms snaked around her from behind, and she leaned back against him.

So this is love, she thought. My husband and child.
    laurethiel1138 likes this.
  9. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Memories-bittersweet. But Future & Expectations: SQUEE! :D
  10. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    This was a great look at the tale - but Expectations! I just loved that one - the tale really came full circle with a child of her own, and I adore how all of the strands came together there. Just beautiful. [face_love]=D=
    Nyota's Heart likes this.
  11. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Nyota: Thanks! I had fun with those :D

Mira: Thanks! I actually enjoyed writing these a lot more than I expected. I enjoyed giving her more than what we saw in the movie (both a past and a future).

Sleeping Beauty is one of my favorite Disney movies (even through Aurora is famous for being fairly useless). And Phillip is by far the most handsome princ [face_love] (IMO, anyway :p)

Week Fourteen: Sleeping Beauty

Castle

All the king’s horses and all the king’s men couldn’t keep a princess safe from an evil witch. No matter how high the castle walls, a little princess was vulnerable. Even with good fairies to guard and guide her, King Stefan hadn’t been able to keep his daughter safe from Maleficent.

Aurora might have been to the castle born, but she couldn’t stay. Stefan comforted his wife as they watched Flora, Fauna, and Merriweather spirit their tiny daughter away in the dead of night.

We tried to have this child for so many years, Stefan thought miserably. Now she’s gone

House

In a little house in the forest lived Briar Rose and her three aunts. It was in this cottage that the young child grew into a young woman of true beauty, with hair to rival the sun and lips to shame the red, red rose, just as her fairy godmothers had promised.

Most importantly, she was safe as she grew into adulthood, protected and hidden from evil forces who sought her death.

And for sixteen years, the girl known as Briar Rose was happy, living with her aunts and not knowing of her heritage of the destiny that awaited her.

Hut

But as the princess’s sixteenth birthday approached, evil stirred. And she was no longer safe.

“We should have let her go!” Fauna said as the three fairies approached Maleficent’s castle. “We should have let her run off with her love. At least them she would be safe.”

“Hush!” Flora said. “We all knew this might happen. Maleficent has had sixteen years to plan. But we’re smarter than her! We will get her back!”

“If you two don’t be quiet, that crow will hear us!” Merriweather directed.

The fairies flew closer, determined to help the young man who held Aurora’s heart.

Tent

Phillip had no shelter in the dank room, not so much as a tent or a blanket. All he had was his determination to rescue his lady—his princess, he corrected, still stunned at Maleficent’s revelation that the young woman he’d met in the forest was the same woman to whom he’d been betrothed.

But with a sword and a shield—and some magical assistance—he was ready to fight for her. He refused to die in this chamber or live, trapped, for a hundred years while his true love lay bespelled.

Even if he had to fight a dragon.

Cave

Phillip emerged from the cave-like prison, ready to do battle for his lady. And battle he did, until at last, weary, dirty, and exhausted, he made his way to Stefan’s castle, where his true love waited.

When the prince finally reached Aurora, he stopped, stunned once again by her beauty. She was no longer a peasant girl; she was a princess, and even in sleep, she looked like an angel.

And, he was sure, she was his. By their fathers’ choices … and by their own. He loved Princess Aurora.

Smiling, Phillip bent down and touched his lips to hers.
  12. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Yummy use of the prompts. Aurora, a lovely name to match.
  13. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    I have to agree with you on the most handsome prince matter. ;) What I love about Sleeping Beauty is the prince in the tale actually getting lines, and development. [face_laugh]

Castle - Something that always strikes me about fairy tales is just how cruel they are to the parents, sometimes. You definitely captured his pain and his sorrow here. :(

Tent and Cave - Just excellent Phillip-voice all around. I loved these, and they built up perfectly to the last line. [face_love]

=D=
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl